Need Theories or Answers to change in thickness and loss to transplanted hairs

Right im getting very fedup and annoyed that although armani messed my hairline up and scarred my head to high heaven. i was getting promising growth at arround the 6-8 month mark, The hair looked thick and one side of my hairline looked very good and satisfactory, the other side was thin and never did take off but im trying to figure out some possibilitys on why the promising side started to worsen as time progressed,

There are 2 pics here they show clearly the diffrence in thickness and also show how messed up aramnis design skills are (but the design is not the issue here lets focus on growth)

First picture Taken 21st May 2009 (6 months Post Opp)

21stmay20096monthsposto.png

My Hair is much Darker at this stage than it used to be im not sure if the fact that its darker maybe making it apear thicker, i doubt this very much as i did notice alot off loss in my hands and the loss came on all at the same time over 2 weeks and too this point im still as the picture below shows,

Second Picture Taken 12th November 2009 (11 Months Post Opp.

12november200911monthsp.jpg

I cannot understand this atall if it wernt for the scarring and missangled hairline the growth would have been fine at 6 months continuing how it was but from 10-11-12 Months the quality is getting worse and has thinned out and loss has occured.

Anyone who can shed some light onto this would be helpfull

P.S IT IS 100% TRANSPLANTED HAIR THAT HAS FALLEN AND THINNED NOT NATIVE.

BEFORE ARMANI (2008)

beforeanysurgary.th.jpg

Thank You

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

I know you are saying that you are sure all the recent thinning is with the transplanted hair.

Would it be possible to post some before pictures of the hairline. The photos you have posted above really do not look that bad. It may help to have all the photos to compare.

hi dr charles firstly thank you for taking time to look at my topic, i have just edited the post to show a before picture, you say it doesnt look that bad but the photos i have put on here arnt showing the bad angled as such ive mainly put them on to show diffrence in growth, other posts i have made show diffrent problems i have had as far as scaring etc.

thanks

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

balboa, The lighting appears to be different in the pictures. Lighting can play a huge role in the appearance of your hair. there are days where my hair looks like I've experienced zero loss, and then I get under a certain light and it looks pitiful. Also, is there any product used in either picture, or water?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

That's a good point Sparky. It also does look like Balboa has some short hairs in his hairline. Are those new sprouts or broken hairs Balboa? Also just realized that you're only 11 months post-op. Perhaps you went through a seasonal shed, too? I'd say you have to go at least 18 months on this one, especially considering it was FUE, before you can see the final results.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hi guys first off yes it is different lighting but its still comparable as one is dull nighttime light however the Flash on the camera is on so still fine,

the other is with no flash daytime, i cant go back to the 6 months mark to take another pic lol, but no its not the lighting atall that's making it appear thinner or thicker, the hair was defiantly thicker because i was very pleased with one side and now i am not,

however the hair was darker in color at 6 months and everyone commented thinking i had colored my hair darker.

At about 10 months i started shedding big time and lost allot of hairs in hairline and also other places on my scalp.

This could have been down to my scalp being dry as i did go through an itch dry stage then.

most of you on here know my other posts and will understand that im not likely to confuse my own hair in different lighting,

I defiantly know when there is something happening and becoming worse i did not imagine it.

i did open a topic asking a similar question while this was initially happening to me however no doctors commented on it whatsoever and it was left open.

At one point while washing my hair i lost a really THICK curly hair almost spiral effect and i know this was 100% transplanted it was so thick its hard to explain but it fell and so did other hairs from my temples and as of yet they are still thinner than the 6-7 months stage.

Some of those hairs in the hairline that are stubbly so to speak are hairs that grow so long then stop, im not sure on why this happens but i tend to keep trimming them off becuase they never grow fully like the rest of hair.

About the bumps (scaring) most of us on here have seem my other posts concerning these and i know there not good and it looks a mess but im trying to keep this top bases on the growth and the sudden change. cheers guys

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

I dont know why the hair is thinner, I agree it does look like some of the hair right behind the front row has thinned out.. Maybe this was native hair.

Anyway, my suggestion is that rather than cutting the bad hairs you dont like, you should probably pluck them. They wont look like stubble.

Hi Balboa,

After reading your thread and your concerns, I talked to Dr. Ron Shapiro to get his point of view on it. I had spoken to a patient from another clinic recently who had similar loss of transplanted hairs as you. He was adamant about noticing good growth up to 1 year mark, then within the next 3-6 months, he felt he lost a lot of the transplanted hairs. Currently at two years' post op, he felt his best was at 1 year post op.

Dr. Ron stated you two guys are not alone. He has heard HT doctors state they have come across it on rare occasion. When a patient has native hairs present, it's easy to say additional loss is due to native hairs falling out due to MPB. But when there aren't any hairs and the transplanted hairs have thinned - theories amongst the ht docs start flowing. No one knows for sure what the real answer is. One theory that struck me is the following -

'Synchronization' ??“ this is how I interpret it??¦??¦.. in a normal situation, 15% of your hairs are in a resting phase at any given time so your hairs that appear on top of your head is at max 85% because 15% is always resting. After a ht sometimes the transplanted hairs become synchronized and all 100% grow for the first year. But after a year the 15 % that were supposed to be in the resting phase begin to shed again so that you go back to a normal 85% to 15% ratio??¦. thus making it thinner . Apparently, this occurs very rarely. And it's just speculation.

Another theory is the donor hairs were extracted from an area susceptible to MPB'

I'm sorry I don't have a solid answer for you but you stated you wanted theories as well as answers.

Anyway, my suggestion is that rather than cutting the bad hairs you dont like, you should probably pluck them. They wont look like stubble.

Trust be i have tryed to pluck them but they will not come out i just end up putting at them and my skin comes along with it and it hurts so i cant get them out the hairs have healed into the scar tissue and will not be plucked all i can do is have them ''electroed'' or fued out.

Janna Thanks for your reply this is the first time a clinic/Dr has answered me on this the topic seems to be avoided allot, and just shrugged off as Shedding.

I do hope i am just out of sync with those hairs and that they are resting but i wont hold my breath.

Dr Armani himself would never give straight answerers about the loss while i was still in contact with them and when he forwarded the emails to his reps i was just told it was Shed and that it can take upto 4 months to see signs of those hairs regrowing.

I have noticed the thinning of the hairs also tho and my skin has been dry latly and was wondering if the amount of Oil (sebaceous) could affect the hair to that extent

Jenna i also have a question about repair, how would Dr Shapiro like to repair my head what would his views be, what i want to do is somehow get rid of the cobblestone scarring. my idea was to have the first 2cm of hairline on the bad left side of my head Fued out, have the hairs that were removed put into the right side just to thicken it up a little, and then have some kind of skin resurfacing treatment done on the scared side untill it looks more normal, then have the hairline replaced properly.

Would that work atall do you think? and if not do you think i have ANY options as far as those scars are concerned

if you know of a good dermatologist that i could get intouch with via email i would be very greatfull

how is Dr Shapiro with his FUE work i know he is brilliant with strip but havent heard much regarding fue

thanks again Jenna icon_smile.gif

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

Getting rid of the cobblestone scarring is a bit complicated. I'm speaking with another patient who also wants to rid of his cobblestone scarring. Where are you located as Dr. Ron is advising for that patient almost the same road to repair as you described.

Give me a call tomorrow or sometime this week at 1-800-843-1989. We can discuss Dr. Ron's recommendation in better detail.

Hi jenna i sent you a PM with what i sugested i cant give you a call becuase i live in the uk and would cost me an arm and leg but does my idea what i sent you on this thread and by PM sounds realistic then as you say Dr. Ron is advising another paitent almost the same as i described. thanks

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

I just replied to your PM. I'd like to state that while you and Dr. Ron's plan are realistic, Dr. Ron wants to stress fixing cobblestone scarring is not easy and there are no guarantees. The resurfacing treatments themselves could cause damage to your skin. Tread carefully and make sure you research thoroughly on the clinics who perform these types of treatments.

Thanks once again janna for the call. good to see SMG taking there time to talk to those who have had issues with there previous Dr. and thanks for weighing up my options. pitty im allong way from new york. icon_smile.gificon_frown.gif

SMG definatly one of the good guys and the same goes to the Farjos they also took time to talk to me by phone and help me with my concerns.

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

I remember having cobblestoning from my first surgery. Then at my repair with Dr. Hasson, he fixed a lot of the cobblestoning I was having. I remember him working on those areas first and then transplanting around those areas. He fixed a majority of my problem areas that would get randomly inflamed and the areas that my comb would catch on. ouch huh?

• 2 months later...