What's with the high first time consultation fees???

I am currently searching for a HT doc in the New York City area and I want to conduct proper diligence. But all of the top doctors are charging outrageous fees for the first consultation. Dr. Bernstein charges $150 and Dr. Avram charges $375! I want to find the right doctor but I could end up spending over $1000 (which does not go toward the surgery) before I even commit. Is this a new trend? Am I missing something? Thought these were supposed to be free. I feel taken advantage of when all I want to do is find the right fit.

All of the top doctors aren't charging fees, let alone outrageous fees. And it's *not* the norm.

Go consult with Dr. Feller and Dr. True; both in NY.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I think it's a little nuts for doctors to charge high consultation fees (and it seems, if there is this sort of fee, it invariably is high), but I suppose those who have enough patients coming in benefit from charging them both by making a little extra cash and by weeding out people who aren't "really" interested in the procedure.

Of course, this is elective surgery, and, I imagine, lots of people go into an office not totally sure of what they'll do afterward. Hell, a good idea may be to meet with more than one physician, even if you are strongly intent to undergo transplantation, in which case it stings to have to shell out a couple of hundred dollars per meeting.

If you're uncomfortable with such charges, just rule out offices that favor them. In New York, I think, Drs. True and Dorin, Feller, and Beehner offer free consultations (perhaps Dr. Epstein, too, does).

Again, it's "stupid" is that it can drive away potential patients, but, in this same vein, perhaps not so stupid for the doctor who has a long line of clients waiting, and doesn't want to "waste time" with persons not sure enough of whether or not they'll have the procedure, to put down a couple of hundred dollars toward it (if I'm not mistaken, initial-consultation fees go toward the cost of operation, if one is performed).

For the patient, yes, it seems to be a terrible deal... icon_frown.gif.

Dr. Feller is on of the top docs not just in nyc, but the world. he will also not charge a consult fee. it's ridiculous imo, to be charged a consult fee.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I just checked Rahals website. Looks very impressive as does Feriduinis. Taking into account the price of the Dollar, its around the same price but going to canada would mean expensive flights and hotel stay for wk or 2. If i went to Belgium I could be home in ireland in a few days. Would it be possible to go to work after 2 wks without anyone noticing? Is the scar worth it? does Rahal do fue?

How do you get away with charging a couple of hundred for a consultation fee???

I must have missed that class.

Most of the guys I know don't charge for consults.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Some doctors do charge a consultation fee. I don't see anything ethically wrong with it, especially since they are giving their time to help prospective patients develop a long term hair restoration plan. In some cases, prospective patients will consult with a doctor for a couple hours and then not even choose them for surgery.

What some doctors do is charge a consultation fee that then applies to their hair transplant procedure if they choose to book. I can certainly understand that logic of thinking as well.

As a patient, I admit that I don't like the idea of being charged for a consult. But I can understand why doctors charge for it.

Besides, would you begrudge your primary care physician the fact that he/she charges for annual check-ups? Most of us don't blink because our medical insurance covers it other than a nominal co-pay. But just as primary care physicians are charging for their time even when they're not treating an illness, some hair restoration physicians choose to charge prospective patients for a consult to help educate them.

All that to say, if I was considering two doctors and one charged for a consultation and the other didn't, I'd be less likely to consult with the one who's charging me for their time prior to the procedure.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by foreheadgump:

Does Dr Feriduni charge a consultation fee? I think its better to get cheap flight just for consultation rather than have consultation right before surgery. Are the waiting lists long in his clinic?

Just wanted to let you know Dr F doesn't charge for consultations, neither do the other hair surgeons in Belgium and most of them in the Netherlands.

Originally posted by skunky:
Originally posted by foreheadgump:

Does Dr Feriduni charge a consultation fee? I think its better to get cheap flight just for consultation rather than have consultation right before surgery. Are the waiting lists long in his clinic?

Just wanted to let you know Dr F doesn't charge for consultations, neither do the other hair surgeons in Belgium and most of them in the Netherlands.

The waiting lists aren't long at all; normally you'd be able to have your consultation within 3 weeks, but the operation itself will have to wait for 2-3 months post consultation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The actual consultation procedure is important so that we can accurately assess your needs and desires along with providing you with realistic expectations of what you can achieve through transplantation. We do not employ sales consultants in our practice. The doctors meet and consult with all of our potential patients personally. During most consultations in the office, there will be an opportunity to actually watch a hair transplant procedure in progress. Our patients are fully awake, under local anesthesia and are usually quite open to allowing other potential patients come in to talk with them during the procedure. We don't charge for our consultations, but we do require them before scheduling an actual procedure. The most ideal method is to come in to the office, but since many of our patients come in from out of town, this is not always a reasonable option. The second best method of consultation is by talking over the phone with the use of photos. These can either emailed or sent by US mail to our address. If you choose to email us your photos, please send in JPEG format, if possible. For the best evaluation possible, please take pictures of the front (facial), top (crown), both sides, and the back (donor area) of your head. Also, pictures are best if taken from about 5 feet away. After receiving and reviewing the photos, one of us will call you to talk about your options.

*NO CHARGE FOR CONSULTS*

Jessica

HT Coordinator

Limmer HTC

Dr. Brad Limmer is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by Hairy Godmother:

The actual consultation procedure is important so that we can accurately assess your needs and desires along with providing you with realistic expectations of what you can achieve through transplantation. We do not employ sales consultants in our practice. The doctors meet and consult with all of our potential patients personally. During most consultations in the office, there will be an opportunity to actually watch a hair transplant procedure in progress. Our patients are fully awake, under local anesthesia and are usually quite open to allowing other potential patients come in to talk with them during the procedure. We don't charge for our consultations, but we do require them before scheduling an actual procedure. The most ideal method is to come in to the office, but since many of our patients come in from out of town, this is not always a reasonable option. The second best method of consultation is by talking over the phone with the use of photos. These can either emailed or sent by US mail to our address. If you choose to email us your photos, please send in JPEG format, if possible. For the best evaluation possible, please take pictures of the front (facial), top (crown), both sides, and the back (donor area) of your head. Also, pictures are best if taken from about 5 feet away. After receiving and reviewing the photos, one of us will call you to talk about your options.

*NO CHARGE FOR CONSULTS*

Hi Jessica

What does HT Coordinator mean?

and what do you mean by

one of us will call you to talk about your options..

Who is the one of us?

I am confused because you say that

The actual consultation procedure is important so that we can accurately assess your needs and desires along with providing you with realistic expectations of what you can achieve through transplantation. We do not employ sales consultants in our practice. The doctors meet and consult with all of our potential patients personally

what exactly is your role? You say that

one of us will call you ...

Thanks

We have two Drs. One of the two doctors does the actually consult. They alternate days of the weeks that they work. The coordinator is basically a secretary that also answers general questions once the patient has decided he/she wishes to have the procedure done. For example, I answer the incoming HT calls, schedule consults, coordinate phone consults, help the patients locate a lab for preop blood tests, refer them to local hotels, etc.

The bit that was posted above was written by Dr. Brad Limmer, I just didn't attach his signature.

Sorry about the confusion, I see why it sounded wish-washy.

But I want to clarify that NO ONE besides the doctors do any consulting.

Jessica

HT Coordinator

Limmer HTC

Dr. Brad Limmer is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

There may be several reasons for charging for consultations.

1) Most reasonably - though in my opinion most unlikely - it may be a means of rationing. If something is free lots and lots of people will request it. A small fee would be sufficient to whittle down potential consultees to those most serious about it.

2) It may be a simple money spinner.

3) Most cynically it may be a means of inducing people to press ahead. This is the same logic that causes people throw good money after bad. Basically the more you have invested in something already, the more determined you are to get some kind of return on it. Someone who has paid $200 for a consultation may be less willing just to go with their gut feeling that its not right for them.

As a surgeon who has and has not charged consultation fees, let me give a few insights into both sides of the argument. When a surgeon does not charge a consultation fee, most will use some type of consultant to answer the bulk of the patient's questions. By not charging a fee, the idea is to bring more patients into the practice. Unfortunately my experience has shown that close to 50% of patients that schedule for a free consultation actually show up for the consultation and then only 70% of those patients schedule a procedure within a year. This means that only about 35% of those who initially call to schedule a consult actually go through with surgery. Not a very good number by any standard. Since I schedule a full hour for each consult, don't double book, and don't perform surgery during consultation time so that I can focus on a patient, this created large blocks of time wasted when people did not show.

On the contrary, when I charged $100 for a consult with me that generally lasted an hour, I found a 90% show rate and an 80% scheduling rate during the first year. This proved to be a much better use of time and allowed me to concentrate on taking care of the patients that I had. The fee is fully applicable to any procedure the patient may decide to undergo. I do not believe it to be excessive as a hair transplant can cost easily cost $3000-$20000. I do not think that an extra $300-$400 for 3-4 consultations is excessive should the patient consider that several visits are necessary.

In addition to show rates, consider the medicolegal ramifications of free consultations. To some degree a patient-physician relationship is formed, especially if I prescribe Proprecia for the patient. This necessitates future refills and imparts medically liability for the prescription. Would it be fair that I can be sued, have to maintain malpractice insurance, and maintain an office staff to provide refill requests for patients - all for an initial free visit?

Bottom line - I can honestly say that if 100% of the potential patients showed for their scheduled 'free consultation' or at least called in advance to cancel, I would continue to offer free consultations. Unfortunately, if there is nothing at stake, people take them for granted.

Dr. Verret,

You are welcome to post here, but please restrain from posting links to promotional content like your website on our community. Our rules and regulations can be found in the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up.

Thus, your forum signature has been edited.

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.

Bill