Is getting an HT and not taking Propecia BAD?

notsosure

I've been considering getting an HT for a long time and am still really on the fence. I'm definitely receding more and more every year. I turn 31 this May.

The main reason I don't want an HT is because I won't be taking Propecia afterwords. Way too many side effects to make things worth it for me.

I feel like getting an HT would be somewhat painful, but the pain would subside in a couple of weeks and things would only get better from there.

What are your thoughts? Is getting an HT and then not taking Propecia setting myself up for VERY bad things in the future?

Thanks!

Hey Jimmy, I have not, but man... there are ALOT of negative comments about Propecia all over the internet. Looks like much much more negative than positive. Plus, I'm sure it's really bad on your kidneys if taken for a long time.

Do you take Propecia?

notsosure,

While I don't want to minimize the potential side effects of Propecia, I strongly believe it's only a minority that truly experience them. I've been taking Propecia for 6 years with no noticeable side effects.

I'm not trying to convince you to get on Propecia. But it's definitely worth considering to help you keep your existig hair.

All the Best,

Bill

Hey Bill, thanks a lot. Ok, quick follow-up question...

Let's say I got an HT, then went on Propecia. Then, 2 years later decided to go off of it, would I lose a LARGE amount of hair (i.e. all the hair that Propecia saved me during those 2 years) or would I essentially just start relosing hair at the same rate I was before Propecia... basically buying me a couple more years. Does that make sense?

Thanks so much. This forum has been an amazing resource.

notsosure,

I don't know for sure, but I suspect pattern baldness may be a bit more agressive if you stop Propecia since you've been holding it back for so long. But I'll tell you one thing...I really don't want to find out by experience. Thus, I'm going to stay on Propecia as long as I don't have side effects :-)

Bill

notsosure,

I'd like to chime in also as one who has been taking finasteride for the past 14 months. I consider the side effects that I've experienced to be minor. While I've seen a decline in what I like to call "unsolicited" erections, I've got no loss of sexual desire and everything works just like it should, when it should. The only other noticeable side effect that I've experienced is watery semen. I don't know if it's affected my sperm count but, since I don't plan to have kids, I'm not really worried about that. I consider this collateral damage and I plan to keep taking the drug since I believe it has helped.

Like you, I was concerned about the possible side effects of the drug before having my first HT. Afterward, I decided that the investment was too great not to take advantage of every weapon in the arsenal. Like Tsakalos said, whether or not you will need it depends on many factors but, for most of us, hair loss will progress.

If the pill works for you and slows your hair loss, stopping the medication ofter a period of time will most likely result in the loss of any hairs retained by the drug during that time. Like Bill, I also do not want to find out by experience.

You've really got nothing to lose by trying it. I've read many of the same horror stories you have but most people seem to agree that very few patients will experience any negative side effects and stopping the medication will reverse them.

I'm not a doctor. This is just my experience so take it for what it's worth. Hope it helps.

TTP

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

notsosure,

Hey, thanks for the compliments, and yes, I really think Dr. Charles is a very talented doctor, or "artist" if you prefer. Yes, there does seem to be a lot of negativity on the Internet regarding Propecia, but personally I've experienced nothing in the way of side effects.

My own opinion is that if so many hair loss sufferers have reported great results, then it's worth the minimal chance that something negative will happen as a result of taking it. There is absolutely no drug (or food) out there that doesn't have some documented negative. To me it is a lot like researching a large company you are going to do business with. Even if it is a world class business, will there be complaints documented by the Better Business Bureau? Always. You can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time, but you CAN do everything possible to regain and keep your hair!

Panama Jimmy

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your responses. Here's the current gameplan then...

1. Have another child in the next year or so

2. Wait until I'm 35 and get an HT IF the histogen (I think that's what it's called) hair growing development is actually live and being sold to the public. Get the HT. Get Histogen treatment. Get off Propecia. Live happily ever after.

My guess is there won't be any better alternative to hairloss by the time I'm 35 (I'm 31 right now), let alone by the time I'm 40. But who knows. Maybe my recession and thinning will stop miraculously.

Anyway, thanks for all of your advice!

• 2 weeks later...

People will always report something negative that happened to them whilst taking the drug but people will rarely post all the benefits they have obtained from taking the drug. The guys who beenfit from this drug and take it for quite a few years (like me) don't go all over the net, posting about how good it has worked for them. This is why you see many negative posts.

People will always report something negative that happened to them whilst taking the drug but people will rarely post all the benefits they have obtained from taking the drug. The guys who beenfit from this drug and take it for quite a few years (like me) don't go all over the net, posting about how good it has worked for them. This is why you see many negative posts.

Which drug are we talking about here Propecia?, I think Avodart would be better as the choice of meds as I read it blocks more of the conversion to DHT

As far as Propecia I read enough peoples negative experiences to put me off taking this to start with but agree most if not nearly all must tolerate well.

The thing that really excites me now is Histogen

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on Propecia for about 6 weeks and no real side effects except my semen is a littler more watery. I must say my sex drive has increased alot. I have read that increased sex drive stabalizes after some time, but it hasnt yet. I just had a HT last week and honestly, I think I am going to stop the Propecia in the near future. Aside from the monetary cost, I think Id start taking it if my hairloss becomes very noticable......

• 2 weeks later...
notsosure,

While I don't want to minimize the potential side effects of Propecia, I strongly believe it's only a minority that truly experience them. I've been taking Propecia for 6 years with no noticeable side effects.

I'm not trying to convince you to get on Propecia. But it's definitely worth considering to help you keep your existig hair.

All the Best,

Bill

Hi Bill have you not had enough transplants that you dont need to take medication ?

My guess is there won't be any better alternative to hairloss by the time I'm 35 (I'm 31 right now), let alone by the time I'm 40. But who knows. Maybe my recession and thinning will stop miraculously.

Regenerative medicine may be a cure for hairloss that will be on the market within 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been on Propecia for nearly 3 months and in fact have increased erections and sex drive.....It wasnt bad before taking Propecia, but seems to have gotten better. Ive been told my increased sex drive would decrease in a week or two, but to date, it hasnt. Im on the fence on stopping it once my HT fully grows in.....

I've been on and off propecia for over 10 years. Only in the last 1 year have I really taken 1.25 mg every single day. Watery semen, like others have reported, is the only side effect I have ever noticed. So if your semen turns watery, then IMO that means that the drug is doing its' job for you. I've always had a voracious highly abnormal sex drive, and propecia hasn't stopped that at all. Erections are still stiff as steel and I have full control over that organ. Pleasure is the same.

I personally think anybody with progressive MPB should be on propecia for at least 3 years prior to getting a HT.