Use of Injectible local anaesthetic in removal of metal staples

For those who choose to go to a physican for the removal of the metal staples in the donor area, is it ok to have a physician inject a local anaesthetic to the donor area before removing the staples to relieve the pain?

Bearing in mind that there is a greater risk of the anaesthetic being systemically absorbed if the wound is not entirely healed.

take care...

In 13 years plus 5 of residency, I have never had to numb anyone up for staple removal. It shouldn't hurt that much if done correctly.

Now bare in mind that I am NOT the toughest guy on the planet, but I have operated on my own leg and have injected myself with Botox. Staples should not hurt alot.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

mmhce-

I looked at the link, my opinion:

1.Anyone who takes "the last of my pain pills" and "4 or 5 glasses of wine" in preparation for staple removal has some serious issues other than

their perceived threshold for "pain";

2.Staple removal with the proper instrument designed specifically for that purpose, in trained hands, is a "no-brainer", and should not involve any "pulling like hell" behavior.

I agree with Dr Lindsey; staple removal is not a significant pain inducing procedure. Local anaesthesia is not indicated.

Also:

"Bearing in mind that there is a greater risk of the anaesthetic being systemically absorbed if the wound is not entirely healed."

That statement is not true. There is no issue there either.

Relax, you will be fine- nothing to worry about.

Heal well.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Having had staples out myself three times and having thousands of patients over the past several years with staples I can honestly say that staple removal is rarely such an issue that patients complain about it to any great degree. Some may state it was not the best experience but all say in the end that any discomfort was temporary and well worth it.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by dr. lindsey:

Now bare in mind that I am NOT the toughest guy on the planet, but I have operated on my own leg and have injected myself with Botox. Staples should not hurt alot.

Surgery on your own leg?!?!?! I'd like to know - what is your definition of "toughest guy on the planet?"

August 12, 2008 - 3100 grafts Dr. Feller

Check out my blog - http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=876

It is completely different when a control freak is in control. I can inject me and cut on me with no problem. I have taken off probably 15 moles on me as well.

But see me at the dentist! I make the weakest patient look strong. I operated on my dentist a few years ago. But a month ago, she just couldn't get me completely numb and I was jumping around like a non-compliant patient. She sweated through her scrubs and had to stand in front of the a/c! I can simpathize with patients on this fear issue.

In fact that loss of control is the real problem in all office based surgery. We had a tough-guy lawyer in a few weeks ago and he fainted during the first numbing up shot. First fainter I have had in several years with hair. He did great the rest of the procedure and told several consultations that day the whole thing was a breeze.

It wasn't pain for him (or me at doctor's office too), but loss of control, that makes the nerves so jittery.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Oh Fenderplayer, I didn't address your question. Toughest guy...

I would guess that it is a tossup between: 1. any of our soldiers knowingly going into a firefight, 2. that mixed martial arts guy ?spelling--Horace Gracie?, and 3. any woman giving birth without any anesthesia. My hat comes off to all of them, particularly group 1, and 3.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Half my staples come out tomorrow. I plan on soaking with warm water for about 15 minutes prior to removal. I was thinking about taking pain pill (only need one so far, the first night) but based on what I am reading, I will not. Nice to hear it should not be too painful I will let you know how it goes.

Question for Dr. Lindsey,

As noted in above post, tomorrow I am having half my staples removed (by a friend). I think I am less than an hour from your office and therefore was wondering if you are willing, have the time, and the cost of removing half the staples.

Thanks

We remove sutures/staples from our own patients only, unless prior arrangements are made.

While it may sound ridiculous, medicolegally, we could become responsible for your other doc's work.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

"medicolegally, we could become responsible for your other doc's work."

That is what I was referring to in this thread:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...681076304#6681076304

when I said:

"Is this because the suturing/stapling was not their handy work and they do not want to accept "responsibility" for any "perceived" low quality of such stapling or damage done in removing the stapling?"

take care...

"Two were very difficult and decided to hold off on those two for 10 days when we remove the other half."

Shouldn't all the staples be removed at the same time?

Wouldn't tissue begin to grow over the staples if they are not removed at the stipulated 10-12 period and thus be even more painful/difficult to remove?

take care...

Removing saples is no big deal.

Shapiro actually gives paitent a staple removal in thier post op kit.

From several procedures, it isnt that bad at all. Keep your sight clean everyday to avoid any scabbing on strip. ICE down your incesion with ICe pack- for 30min prior to staple removal-- this NUMBS the entire back of the head.

Worked for me!

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogain xtra

MSM/Zinc/Saw Palmetto/B6

Nioxin Shampoo

Zrii 3 oz daily