HT Advise

Hello:

I scheduled a HT session with Dr. Robert Leonard in RI for the end of September. He believes that I need two sessions-considered a "class 6"- with a small bald spot left in the crown area.

I have been balding since my early twenties and am now in my mid forties. To complicate matters, I currently wear a polyfuse hair system, which I intend to shed a week or two before the procedure-for tanning purposes. Albeit a dramatic appearance adjustment, I am just plain old tired of the "hair piece" limitations.

I would appreciate and feedback/recommendations.

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Hello:

I scheduled a HT session with Dr. Robert Leonard in RI for the end of September. He believes that I need two sessions-considered a "class 6"- with a small bald spot left in the crown area.

I have been balding since my early twenties and am now in my mid forties. To complicate matters, I currently wear a polyfuse hair system, which I intend to shed a week or two before the procedure-for tanning purposes. Albeit a dramatic appearance adjustment, I am just plain old tired of the "hair piece" limitations.

I would appreciate and feedback/recommendations.

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

He never gave me a number--said he stopped charging by graft a long time ago. He also recommended this "Luce" (sp?) laser light after transplantation-once per week; possibly stimulate quicker re-growth?

His website

BTW: Loved the video - your results are simply amazing.

Thanks

Greg

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

He never gave me a number--said he stopped charging by graft a long time ago. He also recommended this "Luce" (sp?) laser light after transplantation-once per week; possibly stimulate quicker re-growth?

Your kidding right? Not to ridicule you, but isn't that just TAD to trusting? As a NW 6 patient you need a specific target of donor supply versus demand, and cost should be based on graft count period. Might I inquire as to the estimated cost of these procedures? Please do yourself a favor and do some research before you go through with this. Check out Dr. Konier in Chicago-- he does some great work and can work around your system.

Hope this helps you out!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

he probably judges it by how much the new hair is worth to the patient. If he was great I could see it, after all you don't have to go there, but I don't like his hairlines at all. Imagine how many worse ones never made into his website.

After sifting through this site-I realize I should have done my due diligence prior to booking the HT. However, it is only scheduled.

I have been checking out other Dr's and was impressed by the work of Dr. Bernsten. Anyone with pros or cons?

BTW: My quote was approx: 7,000 per session. Is this high? average? or can't tell because there was no graft count given?

Thanks again for the posts!!

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Hey Glock08,

I'm not sure what the average is for a session is. I think depends on whether it is FUT or FUE and the number of grafts. Some doctors have the fees on their web pages. I went and consulted with Dr. Berstein last weekend and am pretty impressed with him, but I admit am still on the fence. Members of the forum like Dr. True and Dr. Feller who are also in NY. Maybe take a few days and come visit our great city and have a few consultations.

Glock08,

7000 dollars or 7000 grafts? I assume you mean dollars because even the top docs out there have yet to reach 7000 in one session, though I think Hasson and Wong have gotten really close...or who knows...maybe they got that many. But the average cost per grafts seems to be about $4.50 for the first 2000 and $2.50 each additional graft. If you do the math, 7000 dollars comes out to about 1555 grafts. Multiply that by 2 and you have about 3110 grafts. Doesn't seem like that will cover a huge area if you are a NW6...however, posting pics would help people give you a better estimate. But...that being said....check out other docs...get consultations by them, and see what they have to say. To give you an idea....I've had a total of 3849 grafts to date and was a NW5a when I started. Now, I have to say, I most likely lost more native hair since I started getting HTs almost 2 years ago....but as you can see by my pictures...it looks pretty good from the front, but the top looks a bit thin still. I'm in line for a 3000-4000 graft session with Dr. Hasson in October.

I hope this all helps.

Bill

It was $7000.00

I am posting a few pictures from my last "haircut". The perimeter is shaved down to accept the system. I had a system-hair weave, polyfuse, sutured (I know-don't know what I was thinking) for the past 20 years-now eligible for retirement. I do have small scar tissue along the perimeter from previous sutures but it is not discernable in the pictures.

Is 15 g's in the ballpark for my category of baldness? I know everyone is different with different expectations. Should there be a certain level I should be seeking or just be happy with come type of coverage?

Thanks for the posts. I will look at Dr. True's site also.

DSC00383.JPG.a07256f0a9149cdd5ab89c189a8d977a.JPG

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Glock08,

You should go to a doc that can do a "mega" session. You will want to get as many grafts as possible in one pass. I'm talking 4000 grafts if they can get it depending on your donor supply. Also, plan on having coverage in the fronal 3rd, and the crown area still being bald. Then you can go for a second session if you have enough donor to cover the vertex/crown area. Being a Norwood 6 you need to be realistic, and it sounds like you are. You should be able to have enough donor to cover the frontal 3rd and frame your face; but you are still going to be thin/bald on top. There's a lot of area to cover with a limited donor supply. I would say $15,000 would be in the ballpark.

Glock08,

Thanks for the clarification and the pics.

Based on your situation, it is important to be realistic because your hairloss is significant. I'd say 4000 grafts is a decent estimate for a first HT, though admittedly, many docs have been able to get much more than 4000 grafts in a single pass if the donor area is thick and lax enough. If your donor area would allow it, in order to get "decent" density and as "full" coverage, you will need about 8000 grafts in total. Like I said, take a look at my surgeries...I've already had 3849 grafts and my hair looks decent but is far from a "full" appearance. I am quoting "full" because it will never again be what it once was when we were in high school...but we can get a "full" appearance with decent density if our donor area allows. Take a look at Jotronic on this board...he has about 8000 grafts (in 2 or 3 passes I forget) and I believe he had a similar situation...at least, in the amount of loss. Now, looking at him, you can't even tell he had any hair loss.

But again, depending on your goals and your donor area, it may end up costing you up to $30K to get 8000 grafts, maybe a bit less depending on how many can be extracted in a single session.

Bill

Thanks Bill:

Does Dr. True have another web site with patient photos? I didn't see any before/after on the main site. The Boston office proximity to me is appealing.

Your info and photo dairy is very insightful. You must be happy w/ the results- I would be elated with those results -the hairline looks awesome.

I keep my hair short also (number 2 on the sides) but plan on buzzing when I take the system off. Can you have an accurate diagnosis w/ hair cut that short?

I am going to try to get a count of grafts that Dr. Leonard is going to perform. I can see now why it was a stupid mistake NOT to get an exact amount for comparsion purposes and will post later.

Thanks all for taking your time to respond to my questions. It's more than appreciated.

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Bill:

Finally found Dr. True's site and was very impressed by the results..especially the hairlines. I emailed my photo's to Dr. True via the website this morning and he was on the phone with me buy afternoon. I have an appointment scheduled in Boston on 8/14.

Took the big step yesterday (for me anyway) and shaved my head. Have a lot of redness/irritation from the polyfuse attachment-hopefully it will subside soon. Just need to tan it up a tad.

:-)

Thankfully my wife and kids are my biggest advocates and supporters. They can actually touch my head now. lol

Again, I appreciate the candidness, opinions and recommendations.

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Glock08,

You need to go big my friend. After looking at your pics and adjusting for the washed our issue on your crown pic I believe you most likely have a strong donor area of, at worst, average donor density. I could be wrong but I don't think so with your case.

When I say go big you need to have as much in one session as possible, 4500 plus, to get the biggest impact and the most bang for your buck.

If you consult with any docs that tell you this is not possible (in general) unless some fudgery is going on with the graft count then walk out the door. There are simply too many patients showing their results with DOZENS of good photos for this to be a charade. This is YOUR head and YOUR hair and of course YOUR money. Send your pics to ten different clinics. Get ten different assessments.

Talk to patients via email, phone and in person. Your case is something that needs to be nurtured as far as what your expectations might be because you have been wearing a system for years. The density you are used to is something that you will not have with a hair transplant so you must take time to learn about this.

As was mentioned above getting the face framed is half the equation so you need to make sure your chosen doc has a proven track record of this. Good coverage across the top should be possible with the crown most likely being left as an option for a second procedure. Many times this is discarded because the patient decides that the front and the top is good enough. On the flip side, many decide that round two for the crown is a requisite for their satisfaction and there are many examples of this online as well.

Bill,

Actually, H&W has hit the big 7 at least three times that I can recall. One is in our patient gallery with 7180 grafts in one procedure.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Glock.. Jo is right. Judging from your last photo you look to have a very good donor area. Better to go with a clinic that can handle megasessions (5000+) with ease. Also, if you haven't already, get on Proscar to help curtail any shockloss you may incur following the surgery.

Midi

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Midiman-Jotronic:

Thanks for the insight. How can I tell if I am a candidate for a 5000 graft session? When I spoke to Dr. True (about a 3500 graft sesion) he stated that it depends on a few factors. Obviously donor area but also elasticity of the scalp. Is it possible to to diagnose w/ photos?

I do not have any preconceived expectations of having high school thick hair-like the system. Actually, anything will look better than I look right now. :-) I have perimeter scarring (did not notice until I shaved my head) from my first system which was sutured. (looked good in the brochure-DUH- icon_confused.gif)

Is there a list of Dr's that can perform a 4-5,000 session? Can Dr. True handle this amount?

Also, my donor area is very thick and coarse-Will this at all affect a natural appearance?

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

I think you're a good candidate for this. You have a good attitude, are realistic about the outcome and are asking good questions. From my perspective you should go for as many grafts as possible the first time out. Judging by your pictures, 3500 will probably give you only minimal to semi-moderate coverage. Also, you will need the surgeon to rebuild your hairline to cover your hair system scar. Another thing to remember is that you'll save money in the long run if you go for a large megasession. The cost of grafts over 2000 drops significantly with most companies and is even negotiable in some cases. Look at my weblog. You'll see what 2500 grafts is capable of achieving... and that's basically 25-30cm2 to stem the shockloss of my existing hair.

I'll let the professionals chime in now to answer your other questions. I'm relatively new here so my advice is to be taken with a grain of salt. However, I can envision your outcome very easily and you'll look great!

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hi

Dr True did my 2 Ht's and my results are really great.. I'm 7 months into the 2nd HT.. I hd 1417 & 1476 .. One more and I'm done

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by HairHope:

We should be stating the obvious for this case:

Go to H&W...Period.

adding to the obvious...

You need numbers, start your scalp excercises now.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Hi Glock08, everyone has offered up some very good advice here, with your level of baldness you really need the high numbers, your donor density and hair characteristics look good from the pics.Hasson and Wong are the masters of firstly great looking transplants and secondly getting high numbers, lots of guys are regularly getting 5000 plus in one session, if you have the laxity/ density then they will be able to do it.

I just got back from getting 4850 grafts after 3 previous poor strip surgeries in the 90's, like you i am an nw6 and needed to max out, everyone else quoted me between 2-3k.

You may want to go back and do the crown at a later date but if you get good numbers first time round you might decide that it is not a problem beacuse you won't look bald front on and that is the most important thing.

The down time after surgery is the hardest part and i believe if you only have to go through this once or twice then all the better.

Start scalp exercises straight away they really do help, and forget about going to the closest doctor, i flew for 10 hours to get to Hasson And Wong.

Good luck

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Thanks everyone for the advise.

Don't know if it's taboo to talk about price. (If it is..flag me 5 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct) However,price is definitely my limitation as I earmarked 15 g's for the proceedure. I do not want to go "bargain basement" Dr. shopping. I do want to get as much coverage as possible from the most compentent doctor (you all taught me well).

Any ideas on graft count for that amount $$ or is that a patient/Dr arrangement? Can I afford Dr's. Hasson and Wong with that little $$$.

My best friend is a N5a and is going to have the proceedure done also. We want to do it together (buddy system and/or misery loves company). Do you think we have better chance negotiating price based on two heads better are than one-or will it really matter?

Lastly; I know my hair has been exorcisized...But what are scalp exercises?

You all have been a wealth of information.

Best regards

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Hi Glock, price was a concern of mine aswell so i hear where you are coming from H&W work a pricing structure of $4.50 for the first 2000 and then $2.50 for every graft over that, so the more you get the better the price per graft it becomes.As for cost pick up the phone and give Joe a call say there are two of you and your pricing issues, 15k will get you some good numbers by the way.

As for scalp exercises, it basically about moving the skin at the back and sides of your head up and down, the more movement is called laxity, is the more laxity the wider strip that can be taken resulting in the higher number of grafts that you need.

If you spend ten minutes a day pushing the skin upwards where you strip is likely to be you will improve your chances of getting a higher number of grafts and reducing the chances of your scar stretching as it will allow for a better closure.

I suggest get going today with the exercises, i noticed an improvment after about a month.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson