going on NW5 at 20 :S

Hey All,

Firstly just want to say thanks to everyone for contributing to an awesome forum, it takes a lot of guts for people to talk about such a sensitive issue.

Anyway enough rambling, I am currently 20 and have advanced diffuse thining. I started to notice I was losing hair at around 16 - 17 at which stage I was put on finasteride. This helped to slow the loss but it has kept progressing. 5 months ago I got onto dutasteride (generic DUTAGEN from unitedphamacies) and this doesnt seem to have the same side affects as the fin did icon_smile.gif.

I am currently booked in for a strip hair transplant with Dr Martenik in mid Oct for 1300 grafts (apparently ~ 2100 hairs as they will be using mostly DFU's), however I am extreemly concerned about the coverage (or lack there of) that this will provide. They are going to be transplanting in a shield shape in the frontal 1/3 and mid scalp.

I currently use nanogen which is great at providing an illusion of hair, but as my hair is see-through it is getting harder and harder to hide, I am hoping that the transplant will give me more of a foundation to build on with the nanogen atleast.

What does everyone think? I have been reading this forum for over a year now and from all the photos 1300 grafts does not cover very much at all. Dr Martenik assures me that it will look completely natural and I will be happy with the result.

7991068633_F93B84409D5E1276F8F19F773EE9F2DA.JPG.thumb 7001078633_DEB740D49462AABEB2840796B4C0C805.jpg.thumb 6821013533_96BA8C1C386A45C6DC5AA7ABE70F29B6.jpg.thumb 5821013533_CE74B467C47DEDD847DE2BB318EA28E3.JPG.thumb 5691068633_CFABE12B0F80FE2DF968ED228AF84E20.JPG.thumb 5101078633_7C6E7D86D2CA573FFA00D9DB7EC20E05.jpg.thumb 4821013533_C7CA901906469B5BB988DCEB07B90DD2.JPG.thumb 4591068633_1C5358538CD56E375EBAE1BF6448C991.JPG.thumb 3821013533_1FEB3FCC3BFB1CAFACFF25B23952EB59.JPG.thumb 3391068633_58326D532C3F2C24DEB87F3C1761649E.jpg.thumb 2821013533_EBAC7F6AA595C1F245B238FD2EF6F636.jpg.thumb

Hey All,

Firstly just want to say thanks to everyone for contributing to an awesome forum, it takes a lot of guts for people to talk about such a sensitive issue.

Anyway enough rambling, I am currently 20 and have advanced diffuse thining. I started to notice I was losing hair at around 16 - 17 at which stage I was put on finasteride. This helped to slow the loss but it has kept progressing. 5 months ago I got onto dutasteride (generic DUTAGEN from unitedphamacies) and this doesnt seem to have the same side affects as the fin did icon_smile.gif.

I am currently booked in for a strip hair transplant with Dr Martenik in mid Oct for 1300 grafts (apparently ~ 2100 hairs as they will be using mostly DFU's), however I am extreemly concerned about the coverage (or lack there of) that this will provide. They are going to be transplanting in a shield shape in the frontal 1/3 and mid scalp.

I currently use nanogen which is great at providing an illusion of hair, but as my hair is see-through it is getting harder and harder to hide, I am hoping that the transplant will give me more of a foundation to build on with the nanogen atleast.

What does everyone think? I have been reading this forum for over a year now and from all the photos 1300 grafts does not cover very much at all. Dr Martenik assures me that it will look completely natural and I will be happy with the result.

7991068633_F93B84409D5E1276F8F19F773EE9F2DA.JPG.thumb 7001078633_DEB740D49462AABEB2840796B4C0C805.jpg.thumb 6821013533_96BA8C1C386A45C6DC5AA7ABE70F29B6.jpg.thumb 5821013533_CE74B467C47DEDD847DE2BB318EA28E3.JPG.thumb 5691068633_CFABE12B0F80FE2DF968ED228AF84E20.JPG.thumb 5101078633_7C6E7D86D2CA573FFA00D9DB7EC20E05.jpg.thumb 4821013533_C7CA901906469B5BB988DCEB07B90DD2.JPG.thumb 4591068633_1C5358538CD56E375EBAE1BF6448C991.JPG.thumb 3821013533_1FEB3FCC3BFB1CAFACFF25B23952EB59.JPG.thumb 3391068633_58326D532C3F2C24DEB87F3C1761649E.jpg.thumb 2821013533_EBAC7F6AA595C1F245B238FD2EF6F636.jpg.thumb

Wow, I can sympathize with you man. I started losing my hair around that age as well.

I know a lot of people think 20 is way too young to get a transplant. To tell you the truth, I am 27 and haven't taken the plunge yet either. But I will be curious to hear what others think about someone who is so young but already has a pattern established.

I will say this though... take your time and don't make an emotional decision. When I was your age, I saw what was happening and started socking money away from MHR... just search the forums to see what would have happened if I had gone THAT route.

Right there with you brother. Wish you the best.

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

Dopey,

I feel for you as you have pretty advanced balding at an early age. At 20, I still had a decent head of hair maybe nw 2 but by age 40 was about nw5. Some of us lose it slow some fast, hard to predict where you will end up.

I think you should be prepared for the worst - nw7 and do a search on patients results with that amount of hairloss. It may change your mind as to what can really be expected for severe hairloss.

I would check out poster B-Spot's story who has made a successful comeback from NW6. He made quite the commitment to beat baldness and has come out real well. So it is not impossible, just realize it will take a lot of grafts, 4-7k.

NoBuzz

Hi Dopey,

I sarted losing my hair at your age and now at 40, I look exactly like you . I came close to an HT a year ago but didn't go through with it although I am just about ready now. Every doc I consulted with recommended at LEAST 4000 grafts.1300 grafts is not nearly enough to satisfy most of us. Besides you have to consider if it is worth cutting your virgin head for such a small yield. You may want to get another opinion.

Good luck

I do not like the number of grafts proposed for your procedure... Sorry Dope.

With only 1300 grafts for your level of hairloss, you will 100% be back in the chair in 10-12 months post-op.

You need 2500-3000 grafts to achieve adequate coverage and density and avoid any real permanent shock loss.

If you look at B spot's pics you will see what I mean. He might have had a bit more hair than you as well.

Anyways, good luck with your decision and keep us posted on what you decide. Thanks.

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for the quick responses! Your info confirms my worries, the reason that the Dr doesnt want to do more than 1300 is because of my age. Although I do have excellent laxity they dont want to transplant more than 1300 grafts (they refuse to book me in for more than 1300). I cant seem to understand the point of a strip proceedure for so little grafts?

I can understand that they dont want to use up all my donor until my exact pattern is known, but what can I expect with 1300 DFU's? will it give me a good foundation to put nanogen on from the front? It doesnt bother me knowing I have to go back for 2nd and 3rd op's, but they dont want me to come back for a couple of years after the first...

Hi

Guys, I think Dopey is a special situation ( and we must remember his age). A 4000 megasession could be a bit too agressive. If he is a NW5 at 20 this probably means he will progress accordingly. With that in mind, maybe he should be a bit conservative to manage his donor hair very carefully especially since the meds are in question. No sense in performing a large HT if he will be losing more hair on a large scale ( which is very possible)

I would like to hear what a top coaltion doc would say.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Dopey-

I would continue to review others results on this site. Like everyone here stated B Spot is a great example. He worked on a plan of attack with Dr. Shapiro.

Everyone will have different opinions for you in terms of doctor to use and amount of grafts to shoot for. Your age is clearly a factor as this wonderful process of balding will continue for the rest of your life. So keep researching.

And of course...my opinion...I feel 1300 grafts is not even conservative in your case. Don't even bother with a doctor who will give you that amount. I know you stated the doctors rationale, but that is the same number typically given to everyone going into one of the hair mills. You clearly need a larger session and there ARE doctors that would do a lot larger session for you.

Consult with several doctors and figure out a game plan that works best for you. Definitely do not settle for 1300!!

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Some (additonal) helpful perspective, perhaps:

I'm early 20's as well, and while my thinning is rather pronounced in the frontal region it hasn't reached the scope or intensity of yours....however, after consulting w/ True&Dorin (who are oft noted for their conservative approach) I was recommended for ~1200 (and was told that the results would not be dramatic.)

I'll reiterate what has been said: meet or e-consult with, I would say, multiple coalition docs....while it may not be "best" to receive some gargantuan megasession @ this first go around, 1300 seems way way to small....*especially* when you factor in the various discomforts and drawbacks that are inherent to getting the surgery -- make sure that when making such pivotal moves you are acting with absolute confidence.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I would almost absolutely say no to a HT for you. Please do a consult with H&W or another top clinic to see what they say. If you do start HT, then you need to have a well though out plan and 1200 is just a drop in the bucket.

The problem with some clinics is that they are not geared for larger sessions. I didnt know anyone was still doing sessions as small as 1200.

On the bright side youve got a few things going for you.

1) By the time Hm or cloning is available, you will still be young.

2) One you get into the professional workplace, the negativity and jabs from your peers will die down considerably.

3) Your head looks like it has a good shape.

I would advise against any strip surgery at this time---

1300 grafts is not nearly enough to begin the strip process and risk noticeable scarring.

I recommend you do 1000-1500 fue grafts---- (if you really must have a HT at this time)

They could be placed in your frontal zone, create a hairline and reframe your face. You would have thin coverage, but with your hairstyle, it would look great and age appropriate.

You could keep your current hairstyle, let meds work for a few years and then reassess your situation.

I lost my hair early as well---- trust me when I say that I believe doing a strip session at 20 would be a huge mistake.

The committment to 7000+ grafts both time and financially is something I believe very few people are ready for in their 30's, let alone at 20.

I hope this helps you out,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Dopey,

Welcome to our community.

Obviously you are receiving various advice and this is due to the controversial nature of young people getting Hair Transplants.

Since hair loss is unpredictable, there is no telling how much more your hair loss will progress.

I recommend reading the following thread: Am I too Young for a Hair Transplant which you can use as a guide.

I would give the medication a few years and see if it's helping fight against future hair loss.

Once your hair loss is under control you will have a better idea about what your goals are.

In the meantime...keep researching and keep your options open.

Since FUE was mentioned, I think it's important for you to understand the difference between Strip and FUE. You can read more about the difference here.

I hope this helps,

Bill

I also say it's way too early for HTs in this case.

NW#5 and it's already so visible at this young age . . . I'd be downright surprised if you didn't progress to at least a shiny-head NW#6 by the time you're 30. Can't rule out a NW#7. And with the major-league amount of DHT susceptibility you must have for this kind of hair loss at 20, I personally might worry about serious donor-thinning problems a few more decades down the road.

1300 grafts? No way.

That's enough for the full-bore strip scar that commits you to HTs for life, while also being too little to make the kind of cosmetic difference that it needs to. Forget it. IMHO, your gut feeling is correct that the number is too small to do what it needs to do.

-------------------------------------------------

Hey All,

Thank you so much for all your input. I have put a few more photos up of my hair a little longer and also how I style it with the nanogen fibres..... My mum saw me without the fibres in for the first time in months and almost burst into tears, I am still undecided weather or not to proceed with the surgery.

I am now strongly considering the FUE option and travelling overseas, I have about 15k AUD put aside (I have been working since I was 18 for this op) and am not sure if this is enough. I have been looking for pics of people with around 1400 FUE grafts that have shaved down to skin afterwards (no hair visible) but have been unable to find any. I figure I would at least like to re-frame my face for another couple of years and then shave it once I am ready....

I have also been thinking about my growth stages, I developed quite quickly and matured physically and psychologically at a young age (due to family situation). Would it be possible that I am just further down in the aging process than other 20yr olds? Is it possible that this would mean my balding pattern will stable out sooner than the average person?

Any opinions? Your input is greatly appreciated.

I'm in a similar position as well, started loosing it during my early 20s and am now 27. My hair loss started in my early and when it first started, it didn't take long for the thinning to become visible. I think the first year was the worst, finding hair on the pillow, a bunch of hair coming out when I comb my hair. Since then, the hair loss has slowed down a lot, and am now a NW3-4. I'm not passing any judgements on you, just putting things together according to your user name. I was really really heavy into drugs in my late teens and early 20s and have been out of that scene since I was about 23-24, and I've noticed that my hair loss has slowed and stabled down ever since.

I'd agree with others that 1400 would not do anything for you, even 2000+ won't be enough to satisfy you, considering how much of an area that 2000+ grafts will have to fill. I've had a 2000 graft in just the temples and lowered hair line, and even though I'm only 3 months post op, I can STILL see how another HT would help more. I did keep my head shaved for about a year straight, although I've gotten a few compliments on the fact that I actually look pretty good with a shaved head, I was never really quite comfortable with it myself. You're very lucky in a way that, you're still very young and can pull off that shaved head look. Your hair is still very thick on the sides, so I think you can be safe with a mega-session, but you should definitly talk to a coalition doc, and it won't be cheap, but it's worth it.

Dopey

Seems like you have some very solid advice from above. Everyone is very correct in their points of view. Obviously, it is a bit tough at your age as I starting thinning at 22 rapidlly. You have to choose your road of treatment which is right for you.

The good thing is you have several people on here who have gone different routes, ones which are available for your case. I personally took the conservative route and it turned out brilliantly but it took 2.5 years to this point with another 8 months of growth.

- Aggressive approach - Mega -session 43000 - 4000 HTs

- Conservative - 1300 - 2500

- Medical - Stay on meds to stabilize hair loss & Cosmetic cover up to conceal.

- None - Lose hair

Study these options

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

hi dopey,i understand what you are going trough i was same age and norwood but waited till i was 35 to get ht.if you can wait 10 years i understand there are exciting things around the corner,cloning etc.if you cant, take a look at my pics(balodys pics) i had 2300 grafts, double the amount you will have, and while happy with my hair i think i just about get away with it "density wise".you will only get half of this result.whatever you choose to do i wish you well.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

At only 20, you should wait at least 3-4 more years for a transplant, of course meds should always be your first plan of attack. If you must have a transplant to satisfy yourself now, I would suggest 3,000 grafts for the frontal half. With your hairloss, even if you get a 5,000 graft procedure done now, you'll still need more in the future.

Hey Dopey,

hows things with you now? Hope everything is well.

Dr Martinick is probably the best HT surgeon in Australia (and probably one of the most expensive as well) but believe me, she is very good.

I have read many post of people who had HT done by Dr Martinick and they all seem to be very conservative approaches, but they all say they are very happy with the final outcome.

Have a look at these patients of Dr Martinicks from Australia:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=16

(username is Damo)

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=95

(username is Maxpower!)

I am from Sydney and in the coming week i have an appointment with one of Dr Martinicks consultants.

Also if you want to visit Dr Knudsen (do a google search to find his clinic, he operates in Syd, Melb, Brisb and ACT) he may have a different opinion. With all the research i have done, he is also very respectable and very good. (also cheaper than Martinick)

But for what i have read from many past patients of Martinick is that is that it seems she does not perform big sessions. I have not read a post or feedbacks on large sessions done by Martinick, so you may want to see Dr knudsen.

Whatever happens brother, i hope it all works well for you and hope the very best in the future for you.

Cheers mate

Hey,

i cant believe what u say. The number of grafts on a nw5 is really nothing ! If u dont have enough money, than dont do it. For that small number of grafts i would never take a scar !!! Look at B.Spots opinion. he is right. Save your money, try the medics and perhaps u can do a megasession like the user London_lad ! He was very bald at his young age and look at him now http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/london_lad/

Good luck to u !

Dopey,

In my mind, creating a stand-alone hair transplant has a lot to do with building a "zone" such that, if surrounding hair falls out, the work will still look complete and natural. I have a couple concerns here. 1) 1,300 grafts is usually only enough to build a hairline. In order to build up the frontal third (zone), you would likely require 2,200-3,500 fu grafts. 2) You are a little young for a transplant. It is a commitment, particularly when you are in the process of losing hair versus when you are at a more mature stabilized level.

I think if I were in your shoes I would wait, save my money, and try to get the front done in one pass at a later time. But I am admittedly not an advocate of people getting surgery at your age.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.