IS NIOXIN, THE BEST ???? Please give your opinions

Hello everyone,

I was encouraged to ask this question when i read a post that basically said one should have multi-pronged attack on hair loss, good point, i felt the same way and hence this question..

to all experts out there, who are already into using, learning, testing, etc. - Which is the best shampoo to prevent hair loss ( or regrow is even better, although i dont think one exists for this!)

Is Nioxin the best? or are there any other out there equally good ?

Does Nioxin improve the health of the existing miniaturized hair ??

Any help is appreciated, thanks icon_confused.gif

[This message was edited by PD on August 18, 2003 at 08:10 AM.]

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

photo album: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/albums/135

• 1 month later...

I've been using Nioxin Cleanser (Shampoo) (every day); Nioxin Scalp Therapy (every other day); and Nioxin "Cytonutrient" Treatment (leave-on foam) (every other day I don't use Scalp Therapy).

I had a HT on July 31. I am on Propecia and been using Rogain 5% once a night.

Regarding Nioxin, I would say, it's a great shampoo. It surely does add a lot of 'weight' to the hair and probably thickens up a bit too. Mine was thin, flat and very light hair. After been on Nioxin, I can definitely say my hair doesn't fly off when I step out in the wind. The shampoo feels great and I can style as I want. My hairloss has been significantly low (may be due to propecia). But whatever, this combo works and I am continuing it.

Looking into the ingredients, it seems Nioxin has all the ingredients believed good to the hair. I have just ordered my second set from www.sn2000.com today.

I also started using their "Power Hold Spray" - but after only one application has stopped it. It makes the hard too 'hard' and probably brittle too. I would recommend Nioxin shampoo anyday.

PD,

I noticed my hair thinning about 6-7 years ago. I remember running my fingers through my hair and having a bunch of it fall onto the bathroom counter. That really freaked me out so I started using Nioxin. That was the first thing I looked into. I believe it helped with the daily shedding. My hair kept thinning, but not at the previous fast rate. Other than trying propecia for about a month five years ago (don't like taking meds,) Nioxin has been the only treatment I used, and still do. Again, the thinning still occured, only slower, and at the beginning of this year, I received my first HT.

It definately wouldn't hurt to try it and see, especially if you want to "attack" it from all angles (propecia, rogaine, shampoos, etc...) There are other shampoos you may try like NANO and Nizoral.

I do like the way it leaves my hair. It appears thicker, and it leaves my hair and scalp feeling really clean. I've tried other shampoos, but it's harder for me to style it without Nioxin.

Of course this could all just be mental, but I feel good using it and that's fine with me.

I use the cleanser and scalp therapy everyday.

Hope this helps.

Joe

• 1 month later...

Nioxin, is working well for me. I've been on propecia and Rogain for 6 yrs now and about 5 months ago I started getting additional "fallout", that's when my hairstylest suggested Nioxin. I use the shampoo, scalp therapy conditioner, the cytonutrient leave on every other day and rotate with the basic nutrient on the hairline. It took about a month, then I noticed my fallout lessening, and my hair just feels so much "cleaner" and smoother than before. As far as for hairloss-- I dont know about that claim, but I believe it is the best product on the market for hair nutrients and therapy. Buy it on the web and save a bundle.

• 1 year later...

Glad to hear that you are having success with Nioxin. For me, the benefits were kind of limited to a great shampoo and conditioner, but well worth the money just for that. I will be getting back on it after I finish my current bottle of L'Oreal Vive.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 7 months later...

It's good to hear that Nioxin has helped you guys volumize your hair. Now I am looking into trying it out to see if it helps me with my hair. My main purpose of using it to make my hair follicles more helthier, decrease the shedding, and add volume.

Currently I use Head & Shoulder Shampoo and conditioner (extra fullness). I guess it works okay, but i can't compare that with Nioxin since I haven't used it yet.

Robert: How did L'Oreal Vive work for you? I see lot of commercials on TV. Does that shampoo really work?

Also, question for vets:

Is there any negative impact if you stop using NIOXIN shampoo, conditioner & scalp therapy?

I am planning on buying the economy kit which is

1- 6.8oz Bionutrient Treatment

1- 10.1oz Bionutrient Cleanser and

1- 10.1oz Scalp Therapy.

Also, has anybody tried 'Follicle Booster', 's NioSpray', 'Lift Volumizing Mist' products by Nioxin? I might be interested in NioSray.

Thanks,

KG

kg007,

First of all, I want to make it clear that I utilize Nioxin NOT for any medicinal benefit, but for its' cosmetic benefits. I cannot say that I can attest to its' scientific claims. I am not saying that they are untrue, I am simply stating that I am not relying on them for any purpose other than cosmetic.

L'Oreal Vive makes no pretense as to its' purpose. It is totally cosmetic. It does do a good job, too; for the money. For ~$4 a bottle, you really cannot go wrong.

The only negative impact from stopping useage would be that you would stop seeing the cosmetic benefit. Since I shaved my head to a #1, I haven't really used it all that much (no need) but when it starts to grow back out I certainly will.

That economy kit is good if you want to try it out without dropping ~$20 on just the cleanser and scalp therapy, but I personally think that the "Bionutrient Treatment" is a waste of time and even more of a hassle than minoxidil. As a matter of fact, I have 2 or 3 under my bathroom sink just sitting there from past economy packs I bought simply because the salon didn't have the large bottles. icon_smile.gif

I am unfamiliar with the rest of the Nioxin line.

Hope this helps,

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hello Robert -

Thank you for the response. I agree with you. I am not expecting any medicinal benefits, I am looking for something which would give me cosmetic benefits by lifting my thin fine hair to more fuller thicker hair. I have tried Head & Shoulder (extra fullness), which I guess works okay.

I just bought L'Oreal Vive for men. I will use it for a week or so to see what kind of results I get, and maybe next week I'll try Nioxin to see what's everyone on this forum talking about icon_smile.gif

I would also be interested in NioSpray. I like using spray over gel because gel gives me seethru look. Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on all these products I plan on using for next few weeks.

KG

I need help guys!!

I just tried Nioxin for the first time. Shapoo wasn't too bad except the peppermint smell. But I tried the Scalp Therapy (Conditioner), and I got this burning effect on my scalp. I mostly felt it in sides and back (donor area). It lasted even after I rinsed my hair with water. Has anybody experienced the same effect or is it just me??? I don't know if I should continue using it because I am scared that it will have a bad impact on my scalp and hair. I am little scared... Please let me know what you think...

Thanks guys.

KG

kg,

The scalp therapy has a menthol-like ingredient. That explains the smell and tingling. If it bothers you too badly, you may not want to leave it in quite as long.

-Robert

kg007, I recently purchased Nioxin Actives shampoo and scalp therapy. Like Robert stated, the tingling is due to either a menthol ingredient or possibly eucalyptus, sort of like what you find in Listerine. Personally, I like the tingling sensation. It makes me think that something's working. I leave the scalp therapy in for 3 minutes. So far, I'm pleased with the products, but it's only been 3 weeks. Terry.

Originally posted by markcia:

KG

I ALSO STARTED W/NIOXIN.

THE STUFF YOU SPRAY IN AFTER SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER WILL MAKE MY FOREHEAD LOOK SUNBURNED.

HAS THAT BEEN YOUR EXPERIENCE?

IT SEEMS TO WORK WELL THOUGH.

I never used the spray-in stuff more than a month or so after the first time I used Nioxin back in 99 or so. I thought it was more of a pain than minoxidil. If other users like it, then please jump in. I don't want to bash the stuff since some people may like it but personally, I didn't.

-Robert

Markcia -

So far I have tried Nioxin shampoo & conditioner only once. I got the burning sensation and that kinda scared me. I haven't used any other products yet. I am still not sure if I want to go ahead and try it again. I have heard from many guys here that it added volume to their hair, now I don't know what they mean by that. Added cosmetic volume after each use?? or more growth occcured?? or thin hair got thicker???

I used it, and my hair didn't look fuller after the use.

Just quick update on my experience with L'real Vive for men.. Damn, that thing works!!!!! My hair got so much fuller! It added so much density and volume.. but on the downside, my hair felt very dry and I noticed increase in shedding because of dryness. So I have decided to use it only on special occasions.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

KG

kg,

Go with what works for you. If you don't feel comfortable with the Nioxin and the more wallet-friendly Vive does the trick, then there really isn't a question - go with what works for you. icon_smile.gif

-Robert

Robert -

Rightnow I use Head & Shoulder shampoo and conditioner (extra fullness). I have been using it for like past 2-3 years.

I am not going to use LoReal everyday since I shed more in the shower. Only on special occasions because it does add more than 50% density in my hair.

As of Nioxin, I think I will give it one more try. I plan on using it for one week to see if I feel comfortable. Because I would like to take the benefit if it really cleans the scalp and reduces DHT on the surface.

KG

tkerr22,

First of all, Nizoral 2% is a prescription medication so if you want that, you'll have to go to a physician. Nizoral 1% can be bought OTC, though. It can also be effetive in promoting scalp health, if you didn't want to go through the hassle of getting a script.

If you have concerns, shoot your physician an email about the Nizoral. If I remember correctly, I began using it around 2 weeks post-op with no real problem. I use it 3 times a week and always use the Nioxin "Scalp Therapy" conditioner after the Nizoral. I find it helps to combat the dryness that Nizoral can bring on.

-Robert