Just got my HT done today DR Jennifer Martinick

charlieb

I arrived at 8.30am

then was taken into a room for pictures and some medical questions,given antibotics, had my hair cleaned,

was shifted to the main room where i was greeted by a highly professional and friendly nurse

at 9.00am the doctor arrived, i was given a briefing off what was to happen.

intially i was booked in for 1000 grafts to the top area, abit above the crown...Ill post pics of it in the other area...

i was given some sedative and was out for awhile, woke up maybe 1 hr into the HT, i can hear, alot of hair talk about 3 follicles, 19 , 19s, single and double where here and there,

there was 5 people in the room 2 well trained nurses and the other 2 less experienced and the doctor most of the time dr jen and her two experienced nurses did the job off placing the grafts simultaneously working in different areas,sometimes the 2 less experinced were in training and got to place in a few grafts under the supervision of Dr Jen but most of the time they cut the grafts, switching with the expereinced nurses, this did scare me abit but Dr jen was there to sort out any thing that went wrong...shes very professional and i knew i was in the right hands...from what i can tell she is committed to providing a good job in everything she does and not in it to make a quick buck.

the HT took until about 1.30-2pm and in the end i got 1126 grafts with about 2000 hair follicles...and she said she made a nice swirl on top, afterwards i was given lunch and taken to a different room where i ws given pain killers, and antibotics and sleeping pills and a pillow cover and detailed aftercare instructions to take home...

i had a look at the handy work and i am highly pleased, densely packed and small sagitial slits or something like that...Dr Martinick went above her call off duty by using all the grafts and is a real genius the way she talks to her staff and performs her work...i cant wait till i an take this bandage off and in a few weeks give my hair a good wash !!!!!!! she rocks !!!

Charlie,

thanks for the update. What was the cost for your procedure? Did Dr Martinick outline what is the maximum number she can perform in one procedure? Have you posted photos yet?

Bundy

Congrats CharlieB on the HT. Can you show us some pictures of Dr Martinicks good work.

I always knew Dr Martinick was an excellent doctors, that stupid Dave3Joseph was being the biggest dickhead making up crappy stories about her.

Please share some photos with us because one day i would like to visit Dr Martinick in Sydney as well and have some work done by her and the team.

Also good luck in the future with the growth, i am sure Dr Martinick did an awesome job and will always look after her patients to her best ability.

Bundy, to answer your question as to the number of grafts Dr Martinick would perform is 2500 grafts in a day. And she wouldnt recommend you get any further HT until later on down the track.

The reason why she told me max 2500 grafts is because she believe there are not enough blood circulation in the head to keep more than 2500 healthy. So she will very unlikely perform more than 2500. If i can remember i think it reduces down to 2000 grafts after you reach a certain age (i think it was 60).

Hope this helps

Jojo

thanks for the positive feedback, i can say that the cost of the procedure was just over 10k works out to be about considering i got 1126 and not 1000 graft about 9.2$ a graft...she also uses a method for sagital slits, didnt understand it fully but i think it is the angle of the hair making it a more fuller look with less hairs, she also packs 2-3 follicles in each graft, i think for the level of expertise 10k is best money i spent, i rather pay for quality than get something which isnt...i have posted pictures in the gallery and will update it as time goes by.

Charlie,

I saw your pics on the other thread, it was confusing to see the pattern she made laying them out.

Based on the number of hairs vs grafts it does appear that she made use of double and triple FU's - meaning you did not have a lot of these in your donor area. You had a lot of single hair grafts which she combined to help create denser grafts (2-4 hairs each). I expect when it grows out you will look fine but the pattern looks diferent post op from other crown work I have seen.

I also think you paid an awful lot at $9 plus per graft, There are many here in the US which are $4-6.

Grow well,

NoBuzz

charlieb,

Congratulations on your recent hair transplant with Dr. Martinick. I haven't seen any of her work in awhile, so I look forward to following your progress.

As I have seen some of the other members say, you have posted photos on another thread - I will take a look at those as well.

I hope you will keep us posted by posting monthly pictures so we can follow your progress. I encourage you also to create a hair loss weblog also.

I am not familiar with the difference in currency between Australlia and US - so perhaps the reason why the price seems higher is do to the exchange rate?

Heal well and keep us posted.

Bill

Guest josh - b

greetings from oz.

The aussie dollar is currently running at about 92c to the us dollar which would make that $9 graft in us dollar terms.. $8.30. Still very high.

I looked at dr martinez a few months ago but was immediately put off by her price but her results do look ok.

I'm curious to why she thinks more than 2500 grafts is a bad idea due to inadequate blood circulation when other doctors have shown consistent 4000+ graft results, h+w in particular.

charlie,

Did she say as you wrote in your post " (I) made a nice swirl on top" because looking at the pics. there is no swirl pattern of the grafts. You also go on to mention "densely packed and small sagitial slits" did she say that to you also? Furthermore, I'm not aware with currency exchange but looking at this post it appears you paid aroun 9$/graft which is about double what most docs charge.? The stuff you wrote in your post above doesn't appear consistent with the pictures you posted in your photo album;

• 2 weeks later...

I have a planned HT in December and having seen these post op results made me have second thoughts. Fortunately, my surgeon has a proven track record, responds to difficult questions and posts numerous cases. Fortunately, we have the Coalition Surgeons and excellent feedback amongst members.

When I see results of Drs. Martinick, Lehr, Hitzig and several others, I wonder what thought process plays a role in choosing their surgeon? Is it proximity, $3 grafts? For those who choose a hair mill after researching this site, I guess you must live dangerously.

Several months ago I consulted with a Bosley salesman. Today, I received a one month follow up post-op letter thanking me for my decision, wishing me well and offering a discount on # 2.

There is only one problem. I booked my case with Dr. Feller.

Welcome and congrats

So now its get on board the waiting train so be ready to feel a host of emotions and feeligngs the next 10 or so months

We will be here to support u !

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 6 months later...

Dear CharlieB,

Congrats on your transplant. It is good to hear you had such a positive experience. I have been to the same clinic a number of times myself for consultations with Dr Martinick and her consultant. I found them both to be extremely professional. You can tell instantly that she is extremely passionate and dedicated to her work, she made me feel totally at ease the moment i stepped in the door.

I am considering a transplant soon myself. May i ask what the standard of follow up care is like at the clinic? Do you have any recent after pics of your procedure?

nick_au

nick, firstly, this thread is somewhat old, so i'm not sure you'll get a response from the originator. secondly, $9/graft is a complete rip-off. i don't know if that's what she still charges, but i can tell you that the world's top 5 ht docs cost WAY less than that. as far as doing only 2500 grafts per session, (and i don't know if that's still all she can do) several clinics have proven that you can get up to 4k and over grafts safely and effectively. lastly, i have seen some of martnick's work and it is not very good, imo.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

hairthere,

Cheers for your thoughts. Although i have been extremely satisfied with my experiences with Dr Martinick so far, i do believe in shopping around and doing adequate research before deciding on a surgeon (i have also heard good things about Dr Knudsen in oz). I don't mind paying if the job is going to be done well. I'll keep your thoughts in mind...thanks

I agree with you that i'd rather pay premium dollar for top notch work, BUT the top ht docs charge $4/graft and in many cases the price goes down after a certrain number of grafts. so martnick is not just high, she is unreasonably high. people are paying her cost for fue. you could take the money you save from her and travel to a top doc.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 2 months later...

To keep the pricing in perspective, Dr Jen charges 10k for 1000 grafts which she puts in about 1100 grafts , she doubles up every graft, making it a total off 2000 follicles she places. So for 2000 follicles (which the doctors in the US counts 1 follicle unit as 1 graft) the cost is actually @5.20 a follicle unit. For mine procedure I had a second procedure off 663 grafts for free, 8 mths after the first procedure which was determined by her to be 'underestimated'...this 2nd procedure was 1000 follicles. So I recieved about 3000 follicles for 10385$ which works out to be 3.5$ a follicle unit.

I am still waiting for the results from this

2nd procedure and am now 1 month post op from my 2nd procedure and @8.5mths from my first...Its been a rollercoaster ride, and at times Ive wished I had been smart enough to go to Canada to begin with (which if you can is a very very good option) but now Im feeling everything will work out ok...I am seeing results and Im actually growing my hair long without a bald spot standing out like a sore thumb...something i havent done in 5 years!!! I do feel that there is only more growth to come...im silently waiting for some good results so I can post the pictures for you guys to see. I do feel that Dr Jen has the necessary skills to be a top notch surgeon and can deliver you the results you want, but on the other hand I do also advocate if you can go for a mega session with one of the Doctors like HnW or Dr Feller, from what I can see they do very good work...this is in hindsight...if i can do it again I proby would off taken that trip to USA, free holiday and guaranteed results...but after 2 procedures off which the second one was quite painless...im happy to say im recovering well. Overall Im still waiting for my final results to really say if I will or would not recommend Dr Jen over the doctors in the USA, her passion, patient care etc is exceptional I found...but in this business its about results...to her credit she has done her best to give me the results i want and only time will tell now. if you want to ask more or need someone to help make your decision Ill be glad to help offer you advise being in Australia and having already experienced this.

charlieb,

I cannot believe that after all the time you've spent on here, all the advice we gave you, and all you seem to have learned you still went to martnick for another procedure. you say that martnick has a great bedside manner but acknowledge that results are the bottom line, so how could you go back to her after your results from ht #1 were so poor? it seems you rolled the dice with this doc just because she offerred you free surgery, but you must understand by now that the cost of your precious donor hair is actually quite high.

Hairthere,

There was alot that added to my decision to come back for a second procedure

1. I believe that Dr Jen does possess the skill level to place FUT graphs to create an illusion off density

2. The number off graphs when broken down to the most basic off units which is a follicle, when taken this into a/c I would recieve a total off 3000 follicles which is quite an ok density for me.

3. I dont believe that I lack donor area as I think I have very good donor hair, I also think any donor hair that is taken hasnt actually being wasted but placed on my crown..

4. I cannot invest any more time and money in getting a HT in the USA or Canada..with all due respect I have alot to do in my life than plan my next holiday getting another HT and spending all my savings on another HT , so yes I took the easy way out...

5. I am actually very happy that I went in for the 2nd procedure as I know I have at least another 2000 grafts without trying in donor hair left...Im also starting to see good results from my 1st HT and the second one should only get better.

Ive posted some pictures up

Best of luck, and keep us posted regardless.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

charlie,

at this point i agree with the other posters and just wish you the best and good growing. however, i do think for the sake of newbies and those considering martnick you should be totally honest and list reason #4 as your number one reason for going back to this doctor. i believe you have even admitted in another thread that you now recognize the difference between her work and other top doctors out there...