FUE with leg hairs possible?

Sure, you could transplant the leg hair to your head... but the hair won't change in texture and will just look like a leg hair on top of your head.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I understand it wont change in texture but if i put alot of leg hairs on my crown (still long way to go) it cant really be noticed i think as the safe hairs will be at the hairline and front 1/3.

Am i right?

The only problem is leg hairs probably wont grow long enough?

Originally posted by ultimate:

I understand it wont change in texture but if i put alot of leg hairs on my crown (still long way to go) it cant really be noticed i think as the safe hairs will be at the hairline and front 1/3.

Am i right?

The only problem is leg hairs probably wont grow long enough?

You are bringing up a large can of warms. If you are seriously considering this you need to do a lot of research.

Dr. Umar does leg hair transplants fairly regularly, but you will have many people on this forum eager to advise you against it, either because of lack of a large # of documented results and in some cases certain peoples dislike of Dr. Umar.

The first question is really DO you need to us leg hair. Scalp hair is ALWAYS best if you have it. Beard hair is arguably second best if you are looking for filler for the crown. Chest and leg hair come in at best third. Mainly because it takes ALOT more leg hairs than scalp hairs to fill an area. Both because leg hairs are thinner, but also because their resting cycle is longer.

You should really do your research before going down this route.

In fact, I don't think any of the doctors that do leg hair will do leg hair if you have scalp donor hair available.

The first question is really DO you need to us leg hair. Scalp hair is ALWAYS best if you have it.

Its not a choice of whether i want to use leg hair or beard hair or chest. Quite simply i would run out of donor hair as soon as i start my HT journey.

Im a diffuse thinner and i will need more hair than whats available on my donor eventually if i choose the FUE route.

Beard hairs are better than leg hairs, i agree but how much beard hairs can you use before the beard looks thin or if a person is clean shaven!

Thats why im thinking of alternative other than beard hairs. I have tooooo much leg hairs! lol i need to get rid of some.

ultimate,

In my opinion, don't even consider using body hair for hair transplantation unless you're scalp hair donor supply is used up (both via FUT and FUE). While some transplant surgeons have used body hair successfully in a select few patients, I've seen just as many (if not more) failed cases of body hair transplants.

Quite honestly, I have yet to see any real consistency with body hair transplantation (chest hair, leg hair, etc.) to consider it a mainstream hair restoration procedure. In my opinion, body hair is better used as "filler" hair, in extreme repair cases, and only when there's absolutely no scalp hair available for use.

Even then, the hair characteristics and their location will play a role in the success of the procedure. For instance, thin, fine body hair may sometimes too fragile to survive the trauma and doesn't usually make for any cosmetic improvement. Underarm hair or hair in other wet areas make for poor donor hair.

In scalp FUE, patients are typically not considered candidates if their scalp is soft or too malleable due to the added difficulty of extraction without damaging the follicles. In general, other areas of the body is much more impressionable than the scalp, making extraction more difficult. I'd imagine this may be one issue related to lower percentages of body hair growth yield.

Best wishes,

Bill