The End is Near. I have had enough

Guest Craven

craven,i suspect your wife prefers the before pics because if you are photoshopping these (lets face it)hunks you are turning these familiar faces bald in an instant,making them instantly unfamiliar if that makes sense?

btw did you knw mat mcconaughy reportedly had a ht?look at his mugshots icon_wink.gif

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Craven,

Welcome to our community. You sure are off to a dramatic start :-) When I saw your post title and started reading your post I thought our community was going to have to talk you off the ledge.

Let's all remember - it's only hair for God's sake. I believe anthropologists would explain that its real purpose was to provide our ancestors with insulation. It's nice to have but certainly its loss is not worth giving up the 99.999% of everything else we have.

You will certainly be in great hands with Dr. Ron Shapiro. But do keep your expectations in check. Given your level of hair loss you will go from balding to a thinning look.

Will this make life better - that will ultimately depend on you.

Best wishes for getting out from under the hat.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Guest Craven

Hi Pat,

You were right on the money with that saying. My day at Shapiro has come and gone. I ended up with over 3400 grafts but a very high hair count from what Dr Shapiro told me. Dont have the exact numbers this instant but will post an update on numbers with photos soon.

I spoke with shapiro and decided to try more for density in the middle than to try spreading it out to cover more of my head. Figured I would prefer to go dense and then maybe follow up in a year with more coverage. If that makes sense.

Again, I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. You guys have been very helpful and i'm glad I found this site.

Craven

Congrats Craven, You will have excellent results with that amount of hair moved!

So jump aboard on back of the waiting train & let the fun begin!

Bill, that was an amazing post man. Truly heartfelt.

It's so encouraging to have a forum like this where guys like us can finally come to get REAL. I read Cravens post and I could empathize with him. I've never gone so far to think about suicide, but I know exactly what it means to always worry about your hair loss... to have it constantly on your mind.

I use concealers, which are a help but a constant source of worry for me... Just this week I was at church and got called on stage, quite unexpectedly, to be recognized for something, and all I could think was "Oh my gosh, all those lights pointing right at the stage, are they going to be able to tell? Right in front of everyone?!" I am normally a confident and sure spoken guy, but up on stage I looked awkward and petrified, as my friends told me later. All I wanted to go was get off that stage.

It's little things like that... a girl you are attracted to glancing at your hairline, having to turn down a group of friends who invite you to the beach, holding everyones stuff while they go ride the roller coasters, wearing a hat all the time, avoiding situations where you will have to take your hat off... all these things cost you a little bit of your life, and over time they add up and take a huge toll on your self image.

So Craven, totally hear you man. I am 27... I have my whole life ahead of me... and I feel like there is so much possibility in front of me and so much I can accomplish and contribute... but first,I really just need to fix this hair loss thing.

Like Bill said, the hair doesn't make the man. But feeling good about yourself is all-important. A great author I know once wrote "People will watch you carefully to see what you think about yourself. After all, you are the best source of information on that subject." Very true!

Good luck with Shapiro, and please, PLEASE document everything online! Being able to look and see that others have gone before you is a great help... be sure to pay it forward. =)

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

Guest Craven

Dr Ron Shapiro is my hero. Everything you have read good about this man and his staff is probably underated. I was king for the day and my expectations were truly surpassed for my first transplant. Thanks again Matt for all the help and understanding. I was hesistant at nfirst and was reluctant but now I'm thrilled.

Check out the attached pics I just got today from Matt.

Total number of FUs

1 hairs-577 x 1=577

2-hairs-1644 x 2=3288

3-hairs-1069 x 3=3207

4-hairs-181 x 4=724

Total hair count= 7796 nearly equivalent to 4000FUs

Update1.jpg.b5669f54ddb64744c3c189d122283d0e.jpg

Looks great Craven. This should make a great change for you and in a matter of time you'll be happier than a pig in shit. I am only approx. a week away with seeing Ron Shapiro myself. Can't wait.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Congrats on a world class session with Dr. Shapiro.

In looking at your post op pic, I have no doubt that your results will be amazing.

Remember to take it slow-- the 1st 3 months are very difficult, especially for those who really agonize over being/going bald.

Let us know how your feeling, cool?

Congrats and Happy Healing,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

That looks great Craven. Wow, you did have a high hair count. You had a ton of 2's and 3's. The doctor even managed to find a good amount of 4's, something other doctors have trouble doing.

Happy growing to ya.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Craven,

Congratulations on your transformation! This is onl the beginning. 3500 grafts will surely give you a nice cosmetic difference.

As B Spot said, the first 3-4 months are the toughest part, but hold on tight. You should start seeing some good things by about 5-6 months and be well on your way by 9 months. Hold off your full evaluation of your transplant until month 12.

Please keep us posted my friend.

EmuSteve,

Thanks for the props bro and thanks for sharing a little bit about your experience and how hair loss has impacted your life as well. I think I can relate to you the most regarding how I was feeling with my hair loss. Though I wasn't devastated enough by it to let it take me out, I certainly let it affect my social life bit by bit like you...wearing a hat all the time, avoiding some social situations where I had to take my hat off, or at least not inviting certain people to those social situations (mostly girls), etc.

Hair loss can be a difficult thing to deal with...

Thank God (and Pat) for providing a place where we can come together for encouragement and education!

Bill

Guest Craven

It feels great to be able to look in the mirror right now and not seen my bald spot anymore.

I wasn't planning on telling my kids about this but my wife let it slip when we were talking. After that I told them about the procedure and that I hoped to not be wearing my hat anymore.

For the first time in years I took it off Friday evening at home and let them all check it out. They were concerned with the staples and sutures but I told them it didn't hurt and would soon go away. They thought it was pretty cool. I felt totally secure without my hat on for the first time in over 15 years even though it looks a little funny right now. Cant wait till the staples and sutures come out and I can cut my hair all the same length.

Guest wanthairs

craven ....

Im really surprised at how good your results look. Use rogaine foam 14 days after your pricedure to speed up the growth in the reciepient area. Also, Im making an educated guess that your strands are very thick. You are going to look completly different in 12 months time.......I know how youve felt your whole life, I was just the same........now I cant wait for round two....

Want hairs, I noticed our surgery was only 2 days apart & that you are a NW 6 too!

Also, you had 2900 grafts & I had 2660...very similar cases with the probable exception of different donor characteristic's.

I don't seee a webblog on you but would love to seee some pics & how you are progressing at this point.

We are both at about 14 weeks.

Mine is growing but still a long way to go...

Love to hear from ya!

Guest wanthairs

hey folica....

I am going to try and get pre-op pics from Epstein as I had none before. I always hid from a camera........I saw your log. I started growth at 7.5 weeks. I use alot of rogaine on the reciepient site. I have growth all over but I keep it buzzed down to a zero, so I kind of look like Kojak....juts to keep it all even until it gets thicker. Epstein transplanted into my mid and front third, and I plan on haveing as many ops as possible to fill the rest in.........

I will soon start a weblog

Hi Craven,

I was just sitting here thinking of ways to kill myself when I read your post.

WOW! I could have written that. I mean everything! The only thing that surpasses the number of baseball caps I have is the number of suicidal thoughts that run through my mind every minute.

I'm 44 and have been losing since I was 25. Nothing I have tried has worked. This curse has ruined my life. I hate going out for dinner or any public place where I can't where a hat. Tomorrow I have to go to a family wedding and I'll be forced to walk in "naked". I'm very, very upset about this. It sucks, because once you lose your hair there is no such thing as getting "dressed up" anymore.

You should see how depressed I look at work since I can't cover my dome with a cap. Oh, I wear one into the office and out of it but not while I'm working.

I can directly relate to the description about your Dad's funeral. Although my Dad is very ill, he s still alive (thank God - I love him so much). However, I panic when thinking a day will come where I, as the oldest, will have to handle all the arrangements and will have to do so without the cover of a cap. A really good friend of mine recently died and I went to his funeral equally upset about his death as I was about attending in my bald state.

I'm still not sure if a HT would work for me so I'm giving science several more years to work some magic. However, as we all probably realize by now, hair growth science is more about Bullsh*t than magic.

Anyway, I wish you the best with your procedure and want you to know that there is at least one person out there who suffers in the exact same way as you.

I whish you all the best!

TenYearsOUt,

I have to admit, my heart is quite saddened to read your post.

Hair loss impacts people in many different ways, and some are impacted more than others by it.

Firstly, have you considered hair transplant surgery as Craven has?

Secondly...I know this is easier said than done...but my brother...

Hair loss sucks, but don't let it control you and ruin your life. You have more power than you think.

Whatever you have been led to believe (whether by your own demise or the from the cruelty of others being non-sympathetic) is a lie. The hair does not make the man...value comes from within.

Hair certainly would be nice...but it isn't everything.

That being said....

If I can be of ANY help to you, feel free to post publicly or PM me. I'd be willing to call you also if you feel it would help you.

Bill

TenYearsOut, we all experince the anxiety of having to go to a wedding or a funeral or other hatless function.

I mean, I have just not gone to some functions rather than consider suicide.

Run your own life no matter what others may say or think.

If you think you will feel uncomfortable in a certain situation, just don't do it!

i am 49 & I am happy I finally got a HT.

I did something about it & it is looking promising.

If this fails will I kill myself?

HELL NO!! I have much more to offer & owe myself alot more than thinking my hair is my only attribiute.

You gotta be a survivor in life no matter what cards you are dealt.

I don't want to preach buut I saw this motivational preacher on tv speaking to a crowd.

He had no limbs! No arms or legs yet hobbled around that stage motivating people.

How can we be worse off then him by just loosing our hair?

Either take control by doing something about it, or by accepting who you are.

Bill & Folica,

I'm still here ...

Thank you for your concern, empathy, and words of encouragement. All that you have conveyed to me is intellectually true and I reflect on those truths daily. It is my unfortunate condition that a disconnect exists between those truths and my emotional response. They seem never to register in my soul.

Since I was 13, I have struggled with mild depression. Luckily, I was resilient and never lost hope. I was always able to recover from bouts of depression and achieve a pleasurable level of happiness.

Back then my appearance became an integral part of my self image. My hair was a large part of this. I rarely had difficulties attracting the opposite sex. My social options seemed vast.

When the hair loss demon started visiting me, social opportunities seemed to slip away almost as fast as the follicles from my scalp. My appearance started to rot. Women began to retreat. In the midst of all this loss my only gain was the intensity of my depression.

I am now a social isolate. I walk invisibly among women. Hope and happiness are currently a telescopic memory. I'm submerged in other intellectual truths that fully resonate in my emotional mind. Truths dealing with the superficial but nonetheless powerful impact appearance plays in this existence.

Ok, ok, I'm sorry for this gut spilling text. I'm not looking for sympathy but just letting ya'll know where I'm coming from. Although I walk with suicide daily, I have never actually attempted to burry myself. Religious, philosophical, and other personal reasons have kept me above ground.

Yes, there are so many people who have it worst than me. Much, much, worst. However, in my sorry state it only makes me more depressed knowing that as bad as I feel, things can actually be worst. Pretty messed up, huh?!

So is Earth really Hell or what?

Thanks guys,

TYO

TenYearsOut,

Thanks for being honest my friend.

I think it takes a lot of courage to admit our insecurities, our hardships, and even suicidal thoughts.

Here at the Hair Transplant Network, we can certainly help direct you to quality hair transplant physicians that may be able to help restore your hair, if that's something you are interested in.

However, I strongly recommend seeking the help of a trained counselor to work through some of the emotional disconnects that you are experiencing regarding these "intellectual truths".

Sometimes we know things but don't really believe them, because our hearts tell us lies. Some of these lies or false beliefs are deeply rooted and often we don't know where they've truly come from. Or even if we do, we often don't know how to heal from them and learn to live our lives differently.

But I believe there is hope there too.

Bill

I think hair loss has gotta be the cruelest "minor" condition of its kind out there.

I mean, imagine if there was a "male-pattern fatness" issue. Something that would only strike a certain percentage of men, and they have absolutely no control over it. Society would probably paint it as a noble & epic struggle.

--------------------------------------------------

Guest Craven

Hi TenYearsOut,

Sorry for the delay. Things have been hectic lately with the kids going back to school.

I have read through several forums overthe years but had never seen anyone that had quite the same feelings that I had. I know that this bothers a lot of other people but it got under my skin and took control of my life. Man, I only wish I could have did something long ago.

I feel for you man. I have never really been depressed over anything else through the years quite like this. I have had highs and lows like anyone else but this hairloss thing was associated with everything I did, everything I wanted to do, it was just always there. Just a constant thought that would not leave. Absolute Hell for 15 years.

Hope your father gets well. Unfortunately my dad past away before he could see that I finally succeeded at a few things. He got to see me go to jail a few times for being an idiot, got to see me quit high school in the 10th grade, got to see me quit job after job after job, got to see me living my life poor and in debt over my head, go to see me losing my hair and trying to hide it. I think he felt that he didn't do a good enough job as a father and that my failures as an adult were a result of his parenting. Shortly after his death I started my own Internet business and it took off very well. Bought a New House that is unbelievable by my family standards. Bought a few new cars and bought my kids basically anything they wanted. Then recently got my hair transplant. I believe my dad would have loved to see this, I think i would have made him feel good knowing this. But a little too late, thats the story of my life.

Today makes 2 weeks since I got my transplant at Shapiros. I'm still very excited to see how this turns out in a year. My hair hasn't fallen out yet and is growing right now. I shaved the rest of my hair down so that it more evenly matches. Looks much better now. If you didn't know any better you wouldn't know I had a thing done except for the scar in the donor area with scabs still.

It feels great to touch my head and feel hair. It is so weird after all these years. Justcant wait till this grows out full and complete to see how it looks. No matter what the final results are, for now I'm just so excirted because we all know how Shapiros work looks like after a year. For now at least my depression is gone and is replaced with excitement and a feeling of joy.

Not sure how your hair currently looks or what your financial situation is but if you can find a way to get the money I would highly suggest doing something soon. You only live once, you cant take money with you, it feels so good just waiting on my hair to grow in. Getting rid of the bad thoughts is like have an elephant knocked off my back.

I regret not going a couple of years ago when I first called Shapiro and talked with Matt. Though I'd hold out for a miracle treatment or Hair Cloning to become available. If you wait yu will be in the same boat I was in. If at all possible, call Shapiro or one of the other doctors recommended here and get your appointment today. The only thing waiting will bring is more grief.

Good luck my friend and I hope everything works out well for you. Stay in touch here if you can. I know life is short and very hectic but it helps relating to other people who are in the same boat as us.

Craven

FWIW, I *completely* empathize with you (10YO, Craven)....I'm barely into my 20s & my greatest fear is that I'll follow an emotional/psychological path similar to yours where the feelings you've mentioned will be omnipresent for year after year after year...

I really feel that for some (i.e. when it afflicts someone with certain emotional and psychological predilictions), "hair loss" can be tantamount to a wretched, powerful illness....curse...disability even.

If it wasn't for the hope of future HTs and concealers I'm positive I would have continued a wallowing descent into total social stagnation. Even as things stand, I'm precariously positioned -- the possibility that my hair loss will take sporadic, aggressive, punishing turns lurks...and that I'll be in a constant state of dissatisfaction, always trying to play catch up, loosing a half-step or so each way.

Alas, we must just inform ourselves as much as possible, take action that gives us the best shot, and pray that another breakthrough occurs sooner than later.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!