SHEDDING AFTER USING MINOXIDIL FOR A MONTH

alwaysready

Hi!

I have been using minoxidil 5 % for the past 1 month for twice a day. In the begining for about 10-15 days the hair shedding was normal. But in the past one week it has increased a lot and the Hairs which are shedding coming out from the roots. I am very worried if it is working or it was a wrong decision to start applying minoxidil. Please help me with this. What should I do?

Hi!

I have been using minoxidil 5 % for the past 1 month for twice a day. In the begining for about 10-15 days the hair shedding was normal. But in the past one week it has increased a lot and the Hairs which are shedding coming out from the roots. I am very worried if it is working or it was a wrong decision to start applying minoxidil. Please help me with this. What should I do?

Here's my experience: I started using Minoxidil 5% and Propecia around Thanksgiving 2005. Four weeks later was my birthday, and I was almost in tears... I had shed so much hair, I felt I looked five years older than I did the month before. I thought for certain I had made a mistake, but a few people here encouraged me to continue.

Man, am I glad I didn't quit! Within 2-4 months my hair loss had stopped, and actually began reversing. By six months, I noticed definite regrowth. Right now I have much more hair than I did when I started treatment... I couldn't be more satisfied with the results.

I have no idea if your results will follow the same pattern, but I suggest giving it a few more months to see if your hair loss stabilizes/reverses. Good luck!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious when people talk about shedding does this mean all the hair is shed in the crown making you look bald in that area? I used the liquid form of Rogaine for about 4 or 5 months last year and stopped using it because the liquid was a pain. I was going to try the foam, but after reading some of the issues it scares the heck out of me to start using it. I don't recall major shedding when I used the liquid but I didn't pay much attention. How much shedding is involved. Thanks

• 1 month later...

The hair shedding is completely normal. If you are seeing the white bulb at the end of the hair strands this is as well, completely normal. Your hair loss has to get a lot worse before it gets better, remember that.

(Signature removed by Falceros - Co-Moderator of this community due to promotional material. Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.

I've been on the big 3 for about 2 months, in my case it was reverse I was shedding less than I was before. I've heard people have huge sheds,minimal sheds or no sheds. Even though my shed has reversed I can see progress so I know its working, so for different people works different ways.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using Minoxidil for about two years now?

(Actually started before that but couldn't get the habit down so it was on again / off again. Finally got habitual. I only use is at night before going to bed - but have to admit even still I forget sometimes. Not that often, though.)

To be honest, I can't tell that it's done ANYthing. My hair lost has continued to get worse. Like MUCH worse.

Of course I'm WAY too paranoid to quit using it now, afraid of even worse disaster.

I've never tried the foam and am wondering if that would make a difference.

???

Glad to hear others have had great results. I wish I could say the same.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I started using Minoxidil 15 % liq. from Nov.2011, as the propecia tables were not so useful for me. I seen the hair fall in next 3 months till Jan 2011. In Feb, hair stopped falling and stabilize. I used Perfect Image 15% minoxidil.

By March, I started seeing growth in the hair. In March 2012, my Minoxidil liquid last bottle was remaining. Instead of ordering the same brand, I ordered one cheper Minoxidil brand with same 15% strength, the brand was "iisolution" from Ideal Image.

I started using that minoxidil from April, at start I realized this new brand minoxidil were different than the previous one, though there content were the same. My hair were nicely grown till March2012, but since I started using this new brand, my hair started falling down again. I do not know, whether its due to the new brand or minoxidil have stopped showing any effect or its because the new brand minoxidil start the process of hair fall again and will grow hair in next 3-6t months. I do not know this answer. But if anyone have experience of using 2 different minoxidil brand and seen this issue please let me know.

As of now, my scalp is very visible, and hair fall is still going on. With this new minoxifil brand, the hair loss is worse than earlier brand. I am now on the 3rd and last bottle of this new minoxidil and hoping to see good result by July 2012.

I have now ordered the previous brand minoxidil, hoping that, as it have helped to show the good result earlier, will show it again.

Lets see, how this interchange of minoxidil 15% affect my hair. I didn't personnaly wanted to do it from now on. I will stick with my previous brand only i.e. Perfect Image solution 15% minoxidil and not iisolution from Ideal Image.

Alwaysready, if its shedding means its working well. Also whenever you increase the strength you will get extra little shedding too.

Shah1, Minoxidil 15% is a suicide. I wont ever risk that. The highest I tried was 10% and started to feel wrong although it got better results. I got back to 5% after my HT surgery as Dr. Rahal clinic warned me that high concentration minoxidil can burn the graft. If you want more effectiveness, try to add Azelaic Acid 5% into Minoxidil 5%. Check out Lipogaine which I'm using for the moment.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I've been on it for just over 2 months combined with Finpecia.

I've experienced less shedding. Less hairs in the shower and hardly any on the pillow.

My hairline looks more uniform and dense although still nowhere near good enough to forget about a HT!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Ive been using foam once a day for about 6 months. The area Ive been concentrating on is the front as propecia seems to be working on the crown.

The hair at the front has gone very thing indeed, its actually really scary but Im sticking with it. One thing I have noticed though is that there are quite a few tiny little baby hairs appearing, they are very small but obviously a different kind of growth to the rest of my hair. Im sticking with it but its tough- had a few comments about how much it has thinned out.

• 1 month later...
Alwaysready, if its shedding means its working well. Also whenever you increase the strength you will get extra little shedding too.

Shah1, Minoxidil 15% is a suicide. I wont ever risk that. The highest I tried was 10% and started to feel wrong although it got better results. I got back to 5% after my HT surgery as Dr. Rahal clinic warned me that high concentration minoxidil can burn the graft. If you want more effectiveness, try to add Azelaic Acid 5% into Minoxidil 5%. Check out Lipogaine which I'm using for the moment.

Damn! I was applying 10-15% minoxidil for 13 months into my temples, but I lost more hair than I regrew. After I quitted it and returned back to 5% minoxidil, I started to lose even more hair. Apparently, my hair became dependent on it in the meantime. It was a disaster, because instead of thickening my thinned areas, I ended up with few hairs left. It's been 5,5 months since I stopped the high% minox, but the lost hair doesn't come back. The crap now turned me life into Freddie Krueger's nightmare.

Can you give me a contact to the doctors from that clinic? I would like to ask them for their experience in this regard. If I realized that my hair is gone forever, I will decide for a hair transplantation.

By the way, be careful, when switching minoxidil concentrations. Do it very, very slowly and gradually.

Damn! I was applying 10-15% minoxidil for 13 months into my temples, but I lost more hair than I regrew. After I quitted it and returned back to 5% minoxidil, I started to lose even more hair. Apparently, my hair became dependent on it in the meantime. It was a disaster, because instead of thickening my thinned areas, I ended up with few hairs left. It's been 5,5 months since I stopped the high% minox, but the lost hair doesn't come back. The crap now turned me life into Freddie Krueger's nightmare.

Can you give me a contact to the doctors from that clinic? I would like to ask them for their experience in this regard. If I realized that my hair is gone forever, I will decide for a hair transplantation.

By the way, be careful, when switching minoxidil concentrations. Do it very, very slowly and gradually.

So Hariri, the new user above pointed to your post specifically to make sure you well aware of the dangers I guess. He clearly says it turned him into Freddie Krueger's nightmare. So, I guess it is good to know. Aside from that, good luck and I hope you get what you seek when it is all done.

WarLord, who knows what higher percentages of minoxidil does. I personally have not seen or heard any evidence of its dangers or effects of it or read of studies available on the internet showcasing it. The internet contains everything. I do know that oral minoxidil might be very unsafe as it is something people take for certain conditions and those that do not need it for those conditions should think twice about taking the oral version and clearly ask a doctor. Seems like there are varying opinions as to how much hair topical Minoxidil grows, how much you need to apply, how many times you need to apply it in a 24 hour period, and etc. The one fact that we do know of is that it GROWS hair on most people until they stop using it.

There are doctors that say to apply 5% once a day since that is sufficient and applying more than that may be a marketing ploy. Then there are doctors who say apply it 2 times a day as it is directed to do so. Then there are doctors who say only apply it to the crown as that is the only proven place for it, then there are doctors that also say you can also apply it to the front to induce bloodflow and possible regrowth, then there are doctors who say you can apply it to the front after a procedure in that zone after a certain amount of time to possibly see faster growth or etc and so forth. There are so many ifs ands buts to everything in the hair loss industry and varying opinions. Dr. Lee felt it was ok to do 15% with Xandrox and so forth. Lipogaine has other ingredients with minoxidil as a combination that some say works well and recommend. So many different opinions. BUT this clearly didn't work out for you as you mention, but who knows if that would be the 100% cause on others as well. There are so many differing views. As you said, you would like to contact a doctor to find out more about it. Ask many doctors on this forum about it here and see what they say:

Hair Transplant Network - Find Hair Transplant Clinics and Doctors

Here is someone that said even 12.5% minoxidil didn't work for them and Dr. Rassman's response to it:

Trying 15% Minoxidil - Balding Blog

• 3 months later...

Shah1 could you please inform us of the brands your were using, cheap and expensive one.

I started using Kirkland 5% last week and have notices a bit more shedding than normal. Am going to stick with it for at least a month or two to give it a fair test tho

• 7 years later...

During the course of the normal hair growth cycle, shedding takes place. About 100 hairs are shed per day in a healthy individual, and this just means that the telogen phase has ended and anagen is next.

When shedding takes place while on hair growth treatments, including Rogaine, the reason is the same.

Rogaine and Propecia – the only two FDA-approved baldness treatments on the market – both bring your hair from the resting phase to the active growth phase.

They do this in different ways, but the end result of both is excess shedding.