PRP Results?

Tom R.

This is my hair in late April of 2009. Perhaps now those of you asking me to determine my results with prp aftre 5 weeks can see how difficult is can be. My hiar is the about the same but feels thicker. That's all I can really offer right now.

422109163_2E698F1E835A020114BA5487B6BD8A9F.JPG.thumb

Bill,

This pic is approximately 14 months post-op from my last HT with SMG in February of '08. I've had 4 HT's (3 with SMG). My PRP treatment was performed on June 30, 2009 by Joe Greco. I know that pic gives the illusion of full density but I am not so fortunate. I was driving my t-top car around town today and the visual was not as pretty as the picture you see here.

I'll snap some pics beginning at eight weeks and update this thread at that time.

However, I am of the opinion that my hair is thicker. As far as growth is concerned, I cannot be certain. However, I'll ask my styilst this Saturday. She has been with me for the last 20 years and witnessed my journey through all of my HT's.

And for the record: I believe I mentioned this before. Two weeks prior to my PRP treatment, I quit Proscar/Propecia after over 10 years of use and stopped using Rogaine Foam at the same time after adding it shortly after my last HT (1 1/2 years ago). In the coming months, I'll let all of you know exactly what PRP has or has not done for someone who's ditched all other treatments.

TomR, thanks for posting this thread. Your situation (stopped proscar and rogaine, but getting PRP) is a real test of PRP's effectiveness. I hope it works well and maintains your hair.

By the way, how much of your hair is transplanted? (front half?)

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

I am a diffuse thinner. The transplants have been done to some degree in the front, sides and some crown. Very little in the mid-scalp area. So, yes, the PRP was distributed throughout the entire thinning areas. Almost the entire hairline is original.

nyny12,

I have always shed more hair than normal since the effects of dht attacked my follicles in 1992. Since my PRP (procedure), I honestly cannot tell whether or not the thickness to which I refer is due to an increase in the diameter of existing, transplanted or the reversal of miniaturizing hairs. It's simply too early to tell. I do have so me thin areas that I'm watching closely. If those areas show a cosmetic improvement, I will take photos and share them with all interested parties. I know this explanation was not the best but I hope it clearly up any confusion caused by previous posts.

This morning I went to my stylist for my 2-3 week hair cut as normal. While she started cutting, she mentioned I was starting to thin a bit above the nuchal ridge. Remember I had quit all other treatments two weeks prior to my PRP. Anyway, I didn't consider it much of an issue at this point as I felt my hair was thick enough while dry.

But I emailed Joe Greco and asked him if PRP expands or moves a little bit after being injected under the scalp after telling him about my stylist's observation. While not exactly answering the question, I asked if it was ok for me to return and have a smaller treatment to the area (above the nuchal ridge) that was likely overlooked or not even considered during my last (procedure). He agreed to allow me to come see him in late August and will perform the procedure to my area of concern.

As for the rest of my hair; I am pleased so far. I really believe it is thicker in the treatment areas. I will have Joe take some photos this time so when I return in the spring, I will have something to compare to for myself.

If I experience any cosmetically significant regrowth, I will share with those interested on the HTN.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom R.

Good post. I have been following prp with interest and am getting convinced that it is one option in the armamentarium of the hair restorationist.

Keep posting.

Also, convertables/t tops/sunroofs are the great ego busters. I don't look too bad with my hair its usual length in the office. But when I am driving my old 4runner with the sunroof open and look in the mirror... I am like "who is the guy with thin hair in the back seat?" Lastly, does anyone make t tops anymore. My mom had a couple and they were great. I'd gladly purchase a t top car made these days...

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by dr. lindsey:

Tom R.

Good post. I have been following prp with interest and am getting convinced that it is one option in the armamentarium of the hair restorationist.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

While I recognize the importance of staying postive, it is unclear to me what type of evidence is convincing you? Have you seen any data at all published? Have you seen pre-post hair count or hair diameter data?

I would love more than anyone for PRP to work, however - like any health issue, I'm not comfortable getting people's hopes up without at least some evidence. This is my opinion!

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Originally posted by HairHope:

While I recognize the importance of staying postive, it is unclear to me what type of evidence is convincing you? Have you seen any data at all published? Have you seen pre-post hair count or hair diameter data?

I would love more than anyone for PRP to work, however - like any health issue, I'm not comfortable getting people's hopes up without at least some evidence. This is my opinion!

Hey hairhope, take a look at this:

http://www.grecohairrestoratio...loads/grantpaper.pdf

Propecia since July 2008

Also, convertables/t tops/sunroofs are the great ego busters.

That's absolutely right. Frankly, that's the main reason why I decided to target the front for my fourth hair transplant. Under most normaly ighting conditions, I looked like I had a full head of hair. But it looked noticeably thin under harsh lighting and when the sun shined at me from behind.

Back to PRP - it will be interesting to watch the data as it unfolds. My only concern is some people seem to be a bit too over-enthusiastic and drawing conclusions based on preliminary data. A bit dangerous in my opinion.

Bill

brentipold,

I quit Proscar and Rogaine Foam on June 16, 2009. Just prior to that, I was taking either 1/4 of 1/3 (depends on how well the tablets cooperated with my splitting abilities) of a Proscar tablet in the morning and another at night with Rogaine Foam. So every day I was getting anywhere from 2.5 to 3.3 mg of Finasteride a day give or take a fraction.

Lately I've noticed I've lost some ground for the first time in a very long time. I don't think it has anything to do with the PRP. I think my body is reacting to my quitting both cold turkey. As of toay, I have restarted the Proscar and Rogaine Foam. I have a little ground to make up but I have always been a good responder to Proscar/Finasteride.

I guess I'm stuck with the meds and the other treatments that have worked until something comes along that will permanently ans safely either halt or reverse hair loss.

I am not rendering an opinion on PRP just yet. My situation is quite unique so I am reserving judgement for a few more months before I take a stance on this issue. I have always shed and things have come back. With hair loss, we all know there are no certainties other than it's a constant battle. It's tiume for me to regroup and go on the attack once again.

I hope I have answered whatever questions you have. If I have failed or overlooked something, feel free to post; I'm always around.

Hey TomR, glad to see your back on the meds. Despite having a prp treatment, DHT was still always going to be one of the main underlying causes of hairloss, since the proposed mechanism of prp does nothing to prevent dht induced hairloss.

PRP is still experimental, so it's better if you stick with what you know works and use prp as an add on therapy - otherwise you risk losing ground

You seem to be on a pretty high dose of finasteride. I guess when you've been on it for as long as you have, the effectiveness fades, so you need a higher dose. What's with the twice daily dosing?? I thought a single dose of Fin suppressed 5 alpha reductase for 72 hours. Although the half life is short.

Propecia since July 2008

splitting hairs,

The twice daily dosing was simply my idea. I know the half life of the medication and I'm guessing that's why some docs are of the opinion that a M-W-F dosing schedule is acceptable. I wanted to ensure I was knocking down as much dht as possible by splitting the dose figuring test is highest in the morning. So, I hit a dose in the morning and another dose before bed. Is there any science behind my choice....no. Is there any relevant theory behind it...no. Does it make sense to anyone other than me...I doubt it. It is simply what I believe works for me. I don't doubt I could be proven wrong but I don't really care.

I even understand that there is little difference in terms of benefit between the 1 and 5 mg doses of Finasteride. I get it but I'm going to stick to my program despite the side effects because I like my hair and I plan to keep it for as long as I can.

There are too many variables amoung us who suffer hair loss. I'm simply trying to unscramble the puzzle and make the available pieces (proscar, rogaine, prp, etc) work for me as best I can.

BTW-I did try Avodart/Dutasteride and that took my sides to a whole new level. I'll stick with Finasteride thank you!

I agree, stick with what is proven - I can't understand why we should pay to be experimental subjects. I was a subject in the rogaine trials in 1987 and got paid...LOL!

Originally posted by Tom R.:

splitting hairs,

I'm simply trying to unscramble the puzzle and make the available pieces (proscar, rogaine, prp, etc) work for me as best I can.

BTW-I did try Avodart/Dutasteride and that took my sides to a whole new level. I'll stick with Finasteride thank you!

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Personally, I don't think we can judge the effects of PRP until actual patients come forward and share their results with us. Of the surgeons in Florida performing PRP, are those hair transplantation docs or physicians performing a multitude of procedures?

And if you really think about it, if PRP has been hugely successful, so much so that these docs you mentioned have been using PRP for over a year, why haven't we seen more results? Maybe they just jumped on the PRP bandwagon and decided to strike while the proverbial iron is still hot...$$$. This commentary is coming from someone who has had a PRP session 7 weeks ago.

I say we must remain neutral until more information becomes evident.

Why don't you ask them to come here and post results for us. I'm sure I speak for most forum members when I say we'd like to see how well or how poorly PRP is performing as a potentail hair loss treatment.

the only one i would trust to do prp at this point is greco or feller. i doubt either would be going around offering this if it could potentially ruin their reputation.

i did ask greco about photos and he said that the ones on his blog have been the only ones he has permission to post online. i dont know what to think about that as its only the top of ones head you are showing, but in his defense he did say he would put me in touch with several of his patients if i wanted for references.

i'm not sure how long he has been doing this but im not sure its been a yr in terms of him using it to combat hairloss altho i could be wrong on that. feller has posted two decent results and ive read on other forums some people who have said the results are good.

the thing is tho, atleast from what i understand, is that its greatest benefit is to those who are just starting to miniaturize. someone who has had four ht's like yourself may or may not be able to tell any difference b/c u cant differentiate ht hair and normal hair.

LLLT was the big thing yrs ago but i saw very few REPUTABLE docs offer this. The fact that someone like feller is offering is good enough for me to atleast try, as is that the IAHRS gave a research grant on prp.

im with you on seeing more photos, but really how many people have had this done? maybe feller or greco can best answer that.

I know these doctors frequent on here. I don't know why they don't have patients commenting on their PRP treatmets. I'm happy you are!

I'm looking to have it done within 3 months. I'd be more than happy to post as detailed a thread with before/after photos for the forum. Bill and all have such a great site. If it wasn't for this site I'm almost certain I'd have rushed into surgery in my lower 20's at a Bosley clinic.

One of the surgeons told me he give the patients an option for PRP and PRP with Protein Matrix. The Protein Matrix one costs $200 more and he recommends it more. He didn't however give me the differences that thurly. What do you have done and were both an option?