AFTER PIC(Hairsystem)

jerry78

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry,

I think your hairsystem looks very good. Most of us here have chosen the surgical or medicinal routes for restoring our hair but that does not mean that wearing a system has not crossed my mind over the years. Each of the approaches has it's benefits and limitations.

Care to share with us "who you went to", which attachment method, what the maintenence regimen is like, etc.

With that said I also felt like you did not look bad at all in the before picture. Your balding does not seem severe for a man your age, at least from the front view. For that reason you would probably be a good candidate for hair transplantation if you so decide in the future. No matter what you do it would be wise to start on Propecia to stave off additional loss, especially thinning of the crown and recession of the sides.

Phil

I just saw your previous posts. I guess you had a HT proceedure scheduled this summer but eventually decided against it.

I think you made a decision that was right for you. Congratulations on your new look. I'm happy for you and I hope you continue to be happy with it.

Phil

Phil: Thanks for the comments. Yes-i must say I a very pleased with going with the hairsystem. I did opt out of a HT, only because I felt it was not for me right now.

I purchased my hairsystem at GAYERHAIR in Philadelphia. They do have a website under that name also. It is a frontal system that attaches with bonding tape. I return to them every 3 weeks where they take it off, clean it, and trim my own hair. I paid $1,000 for the measuring and making of 2 systems, and I now pay $120.00 per month which includes maintenance, bonding tape, 2 sessions a month that includes cleaning, reattachment, and a haircut. Also, every 6 months I receive a new unit....so I'm really pleased with it.

Not one person I know suspects that it is a wig---I get tons of positive compliments all the time on my new "haircut", as they say, and I couldnt be happier.

Not one person I know suspects that it is a wig---I get tons of positive compliments all the time on my new "haircut", as they say, and I couldnt be happier.

no offense--and I feel bad doing this--but you really don't know. People are polite not to say anything or compliment even if they suspect or know. I have done that.

On another site, I was reading about another guy who went from a Norwood 7 to having a 16 year old's hair (system) and said that not even his close friends suspect. Yeah OK.

John:

I must disagree with you. First, I did not solicit most of the responses I received. I simply had people that know me say things like-Nice Haircut, or I really like your hair like that.

The other people were my close friends and family who knew I was getting a system, and they were brutally honest with me.

Glad it is working for you Jerry.

I will say that most people can spot a piece almost immediately.

IF you are good with this then great, but weigh the costs of your system over the next 20 years versus the cost of a HT or two, just to see.

I think for those who cannot be helped by a HT a system is a good backup plan.

Good Luck and let us know if anything changes!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

well, we can't really debate this since it's mostly opinions, biases come in and so on.

At your age you have plenty of donor hair (I saw your picture on the other thread) and very little to cover; go for an HT and then it will truly be natural. In a few years it would pay for itself B Spot mentioned. Plus, after a week or so you could put the system back on till the hair starts to grow.

as I said before, to each his own, and maybe you are the one with an udetectable system. We don't really know.

Originally posted by jerry78:

John:

I must disagree with you. First, I did not solicit most of the responses I received. I simply had people that know me say things like-Nice Haircut, or I really like your hair like that.

The other people were my close friends and family who knew I was getting a system, and they were brutally honest with me.

As John_in_NC said, tough debate..............I'll post my thoughts. I side with John & Bspot, I don't think there's a hairpiece that I couldn't spot. At the same time, I think men who are balding are sensitive to this. For instance, I'll point someone with a piece out to my wife and she won't have noticed it.........but when I point it out then she can. Hope this makes sense.

If you're comfortable with the hairpiece that's what matters but, as has been said, I have yet to see one that I couldn't spot. The pics you posted look decent, but to me I could still tell it was a hairpiece. Maybe it looks better in person, I don't know, I'm just trying to give you honest feedback.

From your pic without the hairpiece, you do appear to have great donor hair and could likely be a very successful HT patient. Bspot has a very valid point about cost...........in the end, it may likely be more cost effective to go the HT route.

It's your call and you need to do what your comfortable with. Best of luck to you.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I agree with the others. Instant hair at first is great, but over the years youll realize what a pain in the ass it is to maintain, not to mention the cost. People will always tell, because it cant look perfect 100% of the time. What happens if you cut your head? Stay in the hospital? All these reasons that could( i hope not) happen that might cause the piece to be removed, which you dont want.

Ive been through this and listen to the others...a ht is the only way to go. I would have never appreciated the freedom of a ht unless I went through wearing a system for 5 years. But this is just my opinion. It looks good but over time the novelty wears off and its frustrating, worrysome and pricey.

Hello everyone,

I think the primary and most important thing here is that Jerry is happy. There's something very awesome about being able to look in the mirror and feel attractive again...and whether or not we are happy with our HTs or hairpieces, I don't think it matters. There are definately pros and cons to both...and Jerry chose what was best for him. Personally, I went the HT route and had no desire to try a hairpiece. For me, I find it would be too restricting in life...I'd worry about a strong wind, certain activities I couldn't do, and I would always live with the knowledge that what is on my head is not real hair...for me, that pushed me into the HT category. Jerry might decide in the long run that the maintenance is not worth it and later opt for an HT. The nice part about choosing a hair system initially is that he always has that choice. But if he is happy, that is wonderful...and I wish him much success with his new head of hair.

Jerry, I wish you much luck with your system. Keep us all posted how it works for you. There are people out there who love it and others out there that hate it. It's all about finding what is right for you.

I'll further add, however, that I think this discussion is a good one, all points being made are good ones. This conversation will help give newbies the chance to see all sides, the good, the bad, the ugly when deciding on whether to get a hairpiece for themselves.

Bill

I agree with you Bill, whatever makes Jerry happy with his appearance is cool with me and I am sure most people. I went the HT route for the same reasons as Bill, others go the hair system route for other reasons, (surgery risks, pain, waiting for grafts to grow, more coverage, cost, etc.) which are all valid.

The bottom line is we are all trying to turn back the clock, look better and beat the big bad bald reaper.

Nothing wrong with trying to look your best, some people don't care, others like us do.

Even though I would not consider a hairpiece, I will not criticize someone who does. To me, it is not much different than someone who does.

Thanks for your post Jerry with pics, you look like you have real good donor hair and look to be a excellent candidate for a HT. You will always have the choice of switching and going the HT route in the future if you change your mind. Good Luck!

NoBuzz

No one is critisizing anyone for wearing a system. Just pointing out long term ups and downs. It doesnt matter if YOU are cool if people wear one, if you have never worn one you have no idea the pain in the ass it is. Looks good? alot of systems look amazing. But we are just stating over time ( about three or four grand a year, times that by 10 or 15 yeaRS?)

I have no problem if a guy wants to look his best, but its not about that. We are just pointing out facts, cause weve been through it. I understand you are being very supportive, but we are trying to show some of the negative side. Its not what people want to hear but it can really help their decisions.

If you never wore a system, you have no clue. Do you think we would point out to some one negative aspects of a topic like this if we werent sure about these downsides? We have nothing better to do than critisize? The last thing you want is to hear negative stuff when you make a decision like these.

Jerry, It looks great, my decision to get a hair transplant was my active lifestyle( becoming a fire fighter, sports,etc) If the system suits your lifestyle than thats cool. We arent critisizing or being negative but simply pointing out ALL the aspects from experience.

Originally posted by brent:

No one is critisizing anyone for wearing a system. Just pointing out long term ups and downs. It doesnt matter if YOU are cool if people wear one, if you have never worn one you have no idea the pain in the ass it is. Looks good? alot of systems look amazing. But we are just stating over time ( about three or four grand a year, times that by 10 or 15 yeaRS?)

I have no problem if a guy wants to look his best, but its not about that. We are just pointing out facts, cause weve been through it. I understand you are being very supportive, but we are trying to show some of the negative side. Its not what people want to hear but it can really help their decisions.

If you never wore a system, you have no clue. Do you think we would point out to some one negative aspects of a topic like this if we werent sure about these downsides? We have nothing better to do than critisize? The last thing you want is to hear negative stuff when you make a decision like these.

Jerry, It looks great, my decision to get a hair transplant was my active lifestyle( becoming a fire fighter, sports,etc) If the system suits your lifestyle than thats cool. We arent critisizing or being negative but simply pointing out ALL the aspects from experience.

Brent, don't be so defensive, I never said anyone was criticizing Jerry, I just said I would never criticize anyone who chooses to go that route. You are right to point out the negatives having experience yourself. Just because I never used one does not mean Jerry might not like to know what EVERYONE is here thinking.

NoBuzz

I have no problem with people wearing a hair piece or whatever; my problem is when people become delusional. As far as feeling good, I guess that's fine, however if they feel good based on false premises, then I'd say that a reality check is needed.

I had some time to waste, so downloaded this guy's http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t...hlight=michiganbaldy video; he claims to be, and is held as an expert on wigs. Supposedly he makes good ones, but I can spot it from a 3/4th of a mile away. And this is strictly based on detectability alone, not maintaining it, cost, risk of being exposed, problems with women, etc.

John, do you think guys who have undergone a HT or worn a system would be more likely to spot a hairpiece on someone else?

Maybe the average public (without hair issues) who do not think about hair as much as we do are not as adept at spotting a hairpiece.

I am glad I never went to a hair system based on all the negative input, cost, traction alopecia, maintenance, etc. Never hear about that side of it from the infomercials promoting them!!

NoBuzz

We who have worn a system can definately spot one, cause we know the telltale giveaways. The general public might not think twice, but may look and notice something isnt right.

Yes, we do notice hair more, just as someone with braces will probably look at the teeth more icon_smile.gif

But, I agree with what Brent said: they will spot that something isn't right and either move on, or look more closely. They're way too obvious: Too linear, too aggressive, too perfect, hair not moving, hairline etc. etc. Someone in some basement cannot, for $200, make a good system for you.

Originally posted by nobuzz4me:

John, do you think guys who have undergone a HT or worn a system would be more likely to spot a hairpiece on someone else?

Maybe the average public (without hair issues) who do not think about hair as much as we do are not as adept at spotting a hairpiece.

I am glad I never went to a hair system based on all the negative input, cost, traction alopecia, maintenance, etc. Never hear about that side of it from the infomercials promoting them!!

I'll quote what I said above:

"I'll further add, however, that I think this discussion is a good one, all points being made are good. This conversation will help give newbies the chance to see all sides, the good, the bad, the ugly when deciding on whether to get a hairpiece for themselves."

It did, however, appear to me that many people were trying to talk Jerry out of his decision after he made it. I think it's difficult to find that "fine line" of supporting others yet being honest about our experiences and what we think. It seemed like there was a lot of convincing going on...that the HT route is the best to go...when I don't think that's always true for everyone.

I admit, I have never worn a hairpiece and would never want to...which is why I chose the HT route. I'm sure that's why Brent and some others are very passionate about convincing others to stay away from it. At the same time, I think it's important that we respect people's decisions once they are made, pointing out our experiences and other options that could follow if their method ever fails them.

Bill

I guess I am pointing out alot of negative aspects. I am very passionate as you said about it, but would respect any persons decision to do whatever was right for them. I made a very subtle transition from a system to my HT, and being so secretive this is probab;y the first time Ive had the opportunity to give advice or opinion. I guess the negative came out and seemed a little strong, like trying to curb his decision.

Bill, you seem to be a genuienly caring guy who wants to see others as happy as you. As am I. Ill guarentee if you did have a system you probably would swing our way a bit. Its like if say a person you knew had a physical detrement( for instance acne) and you knew a treatment you tried worked, because you went through it yourself would you tell them? Of course. But if you never went through it it would seem harsh to suggest to some one to do something. It sometimes dosent sound like it but Im trying to be supportive from a different angle. In the end everyone does whats right for themselves, and should be aware of all the positives as well as negatives. Systems like I said can look great, and if a person can deal with the mantinence thats cool. I also wish Jerry all the best, but I guess this thread became more about our frustrations than just one persons decision.

Well, I just gotta add my two cents into the discussion.

I want to point out that even though I started losing my hair very young, have been through two hair restoration procedures, and have been involved with these forums and the Hair Transplant Network for the past two years, I am absolutely horrible at spotting hair pieces. It just isn't on my mind, I guess.

For instance, the last time I "noticed" that a guy was wearing one, it was actually pointed out to me by a young lady I was with. I had been talking to the guy for well over ten minutes and then walked away to grab a drink when she yanked my shirt and asked me about it. She said that his hair looked "kind of funny" and that she thought it may be a "wig." I just kind of looked over at him casually and noticed that, yeah, it looked bad. Very bad. The thing is, I hadn't even noticed it before. And I like to think that I am a pretty observant guy.

I guess my point is that 99.99% of the population is like me: they aren't going to give it a second thought unless there is a blatant reason to. If the piece is horrible, like this guy's was, then of course someone should pull him to the side. But if it looks like Jerry's (which, in my opinion, looks great) and the change from natural to wearing the piece wasn't so abrupt that young children would know, then I don't see the problem. Surgery isn't for everyone. And a piece can be a fine alternative for those that have been the victim of botched hair plug and hair flap surgeries.

I guess it's all relative. I mean, there are people on forums that swear that they can spot a hair transplant on anyone. But I challenge those guys to spot me in a room. Because it's not happening. I know that my results look great and completely natural.

And you know what? Even if I was spotted by some "hair geek" in the corner that could somehow tell I had a transplant done, I would be fine with that, because the odds are overwhelming that he would be a hair loss sufferer himself and would never call me out on it. If anything, he'd probably just pull me to the side and ask who my doctor was.

So I guess I can see both sides of the issue. If a piece looks awful, then I do think that someone should alert the wearer to that fact. Gently, of course. However, if someone really has to look for a flaw, then I say let it ride.

Jerry, I welcome you to the forums and once again I want to reitterate that it looks great and natural to this untrained eye. Wear it well, my friend.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I see your point Robert, but my point isnt if it looks good or bad; a guy can paint his head with magic marker for all I care, its the matinence/cost part. As I said before If havent been through it you dont see that side. They arent wash and wear like you might think, it takes ALOT of time and effort to make it look good. When you spot a bad one its probably because they really need replacing every 4 months because they look worn;or the stylist didnt cut it right; or you didnt have time to carefully check everything before you went out; tons of things. Im sure that guy you mentioned thought everything looked fine. All I am saying is if you have a lot of extra time,(and money) you can make it work and look undetectable. If you are active and not a lot of time to fuss, its hard to maintain the natural look. Its great to support people for what ever they choose, but would you like to be the guy your lady friend was tallking about?

To each his own, I suppose.

The more I'm involved with the forum, while I want to offer every ounce of support I have for those who post here, I feel then need to express my opinion honestly..........even at times if it isn't the popular opinion.

For this thread...........if Jerry is happy with the way the hairpiece looks then he should go with it. When I looked at the "after" pics, it reminded me of another individual I know who wears a hairpiece that looks very similar to it............most everyone knows he wears one. For this reason, I felt compelled to share my earlier post with Jerry. I hope he wasn't offended because that would be my last intention.

For some unknown reason, I've always been one of those balding types who can spot a hairpiece. As a matter of fact, my wife thinks I'm obessessed with it (probably am icon_wink.gif)..........kind of a running joke between us! Maybe I'm in the minority here but it seems like most balding types are in tune to hairpieces, guys losing their hair..etc.

If I ended up with a HT that was detectable, I hope someone would care enough to tell me so I could do something about it rather than get stares everytime I walk by those that notice. By the same token, if I was one who chose to wear a piece and it was noticable, I would hope someone would tell me.

I don't know how Jerry's hairpiece looks in person...........maybe it looks great icon_smile.gif. Looking at the pics posted, I felt it was suspect to be a hairpiece. Maybe it isn't?? Hopefully, for his sake, it looks great and is undetectable.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Great posts everyone and great discussion.

I definately appreciate the honesty of everyone here, because I think Jerry or any other person reading these posts should have all the facts in order to make an educated decision.

Brent, I can see why your so passionate about being anti-hairpiece. As I said I never wore one, so I don't know first hand what the hassle could be and the constant worry of maintenance and wondering if people know you're wearing a hairpiece. We can't see our head 100% of the time and if we turn funny and something shifts, well...the rest is bad news. Perhaps even the best wig can shift funny and look like a rat's nest on someone's head. So in summation Brent, I think it's great that you are here and sharing your opinion for sure. Passion is great, as long as we use it to help people. So by all means, continue to share your experiences and how we can best serve Jerry or any others that are looking into a hairpiece. You, much more than I, will have something to offer as far as experience with a hairpiece. I can only go by my speculation of the hassle...you lived it first hand.

I know for certain that I have pointed out, especially to my wife, people who are balding or people who I suspect might be wearing a hairpiece. I may or may not be correct in my assessments, which is why I use the word "suspect"...but either way...this is what turned me off from a hairpiece to begin with in all honesty. I just didn't want to walk around worrying if I looked natural all day/night wherever I went. To be honest, this is why I don't use any concealers either...I used Dermatch twice and even though the mirrors told me everything was ok, I constantly worried that it looked unnatural even though my wife told me 80 times that it looks fine. There's always that one lighting that could reveal some kind of flaw and people sometimes will notice those things regardless of whether or not they are hairloss sufferers. So like hairbank, I too am a bit obsessed...blah! I don't want to be...but it seems to be in the nature of people. We want to be able to relate to people...so I'm constantly looking for other hairloss sufferers...hoping I'm not the only balding man in the room, etc. So I am extra sensitive to it.

One other reason why I didn't opt for a hairpiece is because I didn't want to be a slave to it. What happens if I wanted to take it off and go legit? All of the sudden I go from having a full head of hair to none at all. To me, I rather go bald naturally and slowly and let people see a gradual process. Of course, because I chose HTs (thank the Lord for this option in my case), instead of going gradually more bald, I'll gradually get more hair that is permanent and real and authentically mine, never to fall out and with no extra maintenance as having a full head of native hair.

So Jerry (if you are still reading these posts), good luck to you...the pictures look great. I hope that it works out for you. The good news is, if you ever decide you don't want to continue with it, you can always opt for an HT later.

Bill

"I had some time to waste, so downloaded this guy's http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t...hlight=michiganbaldy video; he claims to be, and is held as an expert on wigs. Supposedly he makes good ones, but I can spot it from a 3/4th of a mile away. And this is strictly based on detectability alone, not maintaining it, cost, risk of being exposed, problems with women, etc."

John, I dont make wigs. All I do is make videos, thats it.

My message, and the purpose of my videos, are to explain to people and show them first hand what they will be getting themselves into if they want to go to a hair replacement center, club, salon or whatever so that people can see for themselves what it really is (a rug)

I do wear one myself and have made this work for me, I`ve never meant to promote this as something that is the end all solution for hairloss.

In fact, it is my intent only to provide for people the following:

If you want to go the hairsystem/wig/rug/ route, you can buy a hairpiece online for a fraction of the cost what charge you at the centers, and do the maintenance yourself. It does not take a "professional" to superglue a wig to your head and trim the hairs off and get it to look good, and thats a fact.

I had made that free video to show people what its like and if you pay attention tto what I say in it you`ll see that all I`m trying to do is provide the truth, thats it.