5209 Grafts 2 Sessions - Dr. Rosanelli

-------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Photos temporarily removed while photos are being edited to better hide the patient's face and identity. Dr. Rosanelli will post this and all other albums again in the next few days

------------------------------------------

Dear forum members,

Recently, Pat Hennessey, Publisher of the Hair Transplant Network visited with and evaluated Dr. Rosanelli of the San Francisco Bay by observing live surgery. See Pat's Visit to Dr. Tom Rosanelli in San Francisco.

Dr. Rosanelli and his large staff of 10 medical technicians have extensive experience in performing follicular unit hair transplantation using microscopes to dissect follicular unit grafts.

Though Dr. Rosanelli has the staff and experience to perform sessions of over 3000 grafts in a single session, he believes session sizes under 3000 grafts provide his patients with optimal graft survival rates and hair growth.

This patient received 5209 grafts in 2 hair transplant session. The pictures below are only 13 months after his first surgery and 8 months after his second surgery.

3/14/2007: 2700 Grafts First Surgery

9/12/2007: 2509 Grafts Second Surgery

-------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Photos temporarily removed while photos are being edited to better hide the patient's face and identity. Dr. Rosanelli will post this and all other albums again in the next few days

------------------------------------------

Dear forum members,

Recently, Pat Hennessey, Publisher of the Hair Transplant Network visited with and evaluated Dr. Rosanelli of the San Francisco Bay by observing live surgery. See Pat's Visit to Dr. Tom Rosanelli in San Francisco.

Dr. Rosanelli and his large staff of 10 medical technicians have extensive experience in performing follicular unit hair transplantation using microscopes to dissect follicular unit grafts.

Though Dr. Rosanelli has the staff and experience to perform sessions of over 3000 grafts in a single session, he believes session sizes under 3000 grafts provide his patients with optimal graft survival rates and hair growth.

This patient received 5209 grafts in 2 hair transplant session. The pictures below are only 13 months after his first surgery and 8 months after his second surgery.

3/14/2007: 2700 Grafts First Surgery

9/12/2007: 2509 Grafts Second Surgery

C'mon, Bill. What the point in posting this result? This better not be a prelude to another "We want to add him to the coalition docs--want do you guys think?" thread. Sorry to say so for this guy, but nm315 pretty much got it right.

Oh the poor patient! This just goes to show the difference between a top quality doctor and ... others.

Let's start with hairline placement. With no temple work whatsoever, this was just not a natural placement. Why no higher density in the hairline, tapering into less coverage towards the crown?

Next, why does this doctor think survival rate is less optimal when over 3,000 graft sessions are used when H&W does it every single day of the year? I think this doctor still has a long way to go to be considered optimal.

Bill - I'm glad that you posted these photos, but I trust you agree these are certainly not optimal results.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

I should add, if anyone clicks on the link, you'll also see my other concerns with Dr. Rosanelli - look at the scar that is partially sutured (looks lumpy and uneven and not at all tight), the low coverage for the crown and weeks later I'm still waiting to see full post-operative photos.

M&M Weblog

I agree with everyone else! This poor guys donar supply is propably pretty close to used up and the results are not up to the standards we've become acustomed to. Hopefully these pics are immediatly following his 2nd procedure.

Dear forum members,

I appreciate your input on this photo album.

Dr. Rosanelli is being considered for potential recommendation, not the Coalition. See our recommendation standards here.

I agree that the pictures on this thread certainly aren't "wow" results. One potential issue here is that this patient's hair appears to be ultra fine which probably makes any illusion of hair density hard to achieve. Additionally, a greater number of grafts appear to have been placed in the crown and the middle section than the hairline. Without knowing the patient's overall goals, it's difficult to say why this may be.

That said, in looking at the surgical details I received, it appears that this patient is only 13 months out from his first hair transplant surgery. I do not have the date of his second surgery. If these pictures are taken after his second surgery, he probably can't be that far out. I have sent an email to the clinic asking for clarification about this, placement of the grafts, and patient's goals.

Remember that most clinics come forward to post only their most impressive "wow" results online. But instead of posting only the "best" photos, I am posting the results as I get them so members can get a good feeling of his overall achievements. If you look at some of the other photo albums, much more impressive ones exist and certainly deserve commenting.

I also want to say that I know many patients are enamored with large hair transplant megasessions however, it is not the only philosophy worth considering.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

Honestly, I think the forum members have already spoken... but I welcome a democracy and a full on vote.

"I know many patients are enamored with large hair transplant megasessions however, it is not the only philosophy worth considering."

I don't disagree with that logic at all. As an example, Shapiro generally does sessions much smaller than H&W, as does Feller, but neither one comes right out with a statement that these larger sessions are not optimal for growth. And what they do with those smaller sessions do truly impress.

You state that Dr. Rosanelli "has the staff and experience to perform sessions of over 3000 grafts in a single session, he believes session sizes under 3000 grafts provide his patients with optimal graft survival rates and hair growth."

My conclusion from that statement is that he has performed sessions 3,000+ and the patient ended up dissatisfied wit the survival rate and/or growth. Isn't an injustice being done to NW5+ patients with only 2200 grafts? That's a hairline, not a solution for an NW5 patient. You've said in many posts to patients that "it will look sparse and you will need another session". I really dislike the doctor filling the patient's mind with poor philosophy of bad growth and survival in 3,000+ sessions when it may be the RIGHT thing for some patients. Not every patient, but for many that he has showcased thus far, they truly needed 3,000+.

Okay, next topic.

"Remember that most clinics come forward to post only their most impressive "wow" results online. But instead of posting only the "best" photos, I am posting the results as I get them..."

When you say "as you get them", that means you're posting the photos that the doctor / clinic is providing you to post online. Whether a clinic posts directly online or emails to you to post online, the assumption should be the same - they are posting their best work. I don't believe for a moment that they are sitting back filtering out their best work so that they provide a "good feeling of his overall achievement". They are posting their best work possible.

That's why I think you and Pat have always said that patients posting their own results are of the utmost importance.

M&M Weblog

M&M,

Remember first that I am waiting for further clarification on this album since this patient is 13 months out from 1st surgery. This may indicate that in these pictures, the patient is not that far along from the second surgery, which would explain the lesser appearance of density for the number of grafts. I'll post clarification when I get it.

Most forum members have spoken on this album however, there are other albums that in my opinion, are quite impressive. I feel that they deserve commenting on as well. Dr. Rosanelli's potential recommendation will be determined based, not only on this one photo album, but on all of the posted results. Naturalness and growth yield for the number of transplanted grafts will be considered above what we feel the final result should look like. Additionally, I have asked Dr. Rosanelli for a few addtional photo samples.

I agree that patient posted results are optimal, and in an ideal world, every patient from every physician would be here posting on a regular basis. Only if...

Again, I have requested clarification from the physician about this particular photo album due to the seemingly low appearance in density and high number of grafts. The other albums however, in my opinion, show a good representation of the result based on the number of grafts, some of which, are quite impressive, others of which, the patient may need more grafts for a "wow" transition, but still look good for the number of transplanted grafts.

Best wishes,

Bill

Sorry, but this one doesn't look too good.

Actually I would be very disappointed.

Maybe HTN ought to slow down on the addition of doc's for awhile and let some of these other docs start showing some better results.

It would be sad to think that in a week or two this doctor gets added to your list.

Byehair,

Maybe HTN ought to slow down on the addition of doc's for awhile and let some of these other docs start showing some better results.

It would be sad to think that in a week or two this doctor gets added to your list.

I think you ought to have a little more faith in our recommendation process. Just because I am posting these on the physician's behalf does NOT mean that I am endorsing him nor does it mean that we have already made a decision to recommend him.

However, he is being considered, and with your and other member input, we will be able to make a final decision.

I am still waiting for clarification on this particular photo album, but there are also others to evaluate before drawing a final conclusion.

Bill

I think most of this hinges on how far out from #2 he is. Spending 20 grand or so on ht's and getting this would suck tho. if this is his final result he would be better off shaving his head. A shaved head looks better anytime compared to thin wispy corpse hairs icon_frown.gif

Vincehair,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm working on getting the additional details on this and will probalby have them tomorrow.

In retrospect, I probalby should have waited to get those details BEFORE posting the results. I feel that my preliminary post of these pictures created some confusion and fury.

Bill

The results are less than what we have come to expect from the coaltion doctors.. Of course this is not a judgement by myself rather an observation.. We do not know what the patient wanted & the hair does seem rather fine..

In my opinion, I would have preferred a denser look and a smaller area of concentration.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Not very impressed, there are a lot of grafts used here and it looks very sparse. I don't believe any of the top Docs here would produce a result like this with the same number of grafts.

IH

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

In all fairness, we do not know the whole story of the picture. If we looked at my pics after my 1st, or 2nd HT many might draw the same conclusion.. The strategy might not be finsihed yet ??

I agree it should be denser but another procedure could fix that

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Dear forum members,

I spoke with Sophia from Dr. Rosanelli's office and obtained additional surgical detail for this patient. Additionally, she will be looking over the comments and be able to more readily respond to our inquiries about patient goals, hair characteristics, density verses coverage, etc.

This patient is approximately 8 months out from his second surgery. Depending on how slow or fast this patient is growing, he could still have some growth left. Nonetheless, I think we can all agree that 8 months is not the final product and more growth/thickening/maturing is expected.

The surgical details have also been added to the introduction of the photo album.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by MrJobi:

In all fairness, we do not know the whole story of the picture. If we looked at my pics after my 1st, or 2nd HT many might draw the same conclusion.. The strategy might not be finsihed yet ??

I agree it should be denser but another procedure could fix that

As a means of promoting his services do you think this result and the previous ones are showing his work of in a in the best possible light?.

My own opinion is i would not approach this Doctor of the back of this photographic evidence

which has been posted here as a means of seeing examples of his work.