Rogaine foam work for hairline? confused

Guys, I keep reading on other boards and on here that everyone is acrediting mild hair regrowth to using rogaine foam on the frontal part of the head.

I was under the impression that rogaine only worked on the vertex, so to these people know something that rogaine inc. doesnt? I'm sure that if rogaine had proof of regrowing (even 1 hair) on the front of the head, it would be all over TV and the label it self.

Any inputs on this? I currently use it on the vertex alone because of the stickiness, but if this thing works all around, id be all over using it like shampoo!

thanks in advance

well lets see i dont really know how to answer but ill give my input

From what i have heard there have been stories of rogaine(minoxidil) helping out the frontal part of the head and scalp but from my understanding that companies can not prove it.

maybe the results are very inconsistent...no one wants to advertise "this has a 1% to regrow your hairline"

and about using it like shampoo, im sure you was joking but just incase you werent, it clearly states not to put more than the 2 fl oz twice a day as it doesnt increase results.

ill let someone else help out with the question

I went to consult with top Doc and he said Rogaine is a waste of money by itself if you dont take propecia. It help grow hair after HT though for some reason. U can try it on hairline and see if you get results. It worked for some.

I wonder if Rogaine foam is a good medicine to maintain hair not as regrow hair tool for ppl who chose not to take Propecia?

I have been using rogaine foam since early December and have been pleasantly surprised. I use to try and use the old stuff and my head would itch so bad and it left my scalp very oily. Well have had no problem with the foam and it dries quite quickly. But have had no itchiness at all, the worst thing it does is leave my hair in front of my bald area stiff like hairspray, but that is it. I haven't seen any huge effect with it so far but I can definately see something happening, not sure if their is new hair growth or what hair I had in my bald spot have grown thicker, or it could be the possible fuzz growth. whatever it is, it has made me putting my toppik on the spot much easier and I just barely sprikle any at all. But a few months ago it was becoming a hassle cause there was no hair to sprinkle the toppik onto and now there is. Who knows, but the bottom line is for me it is an easy regimen and with no side effects I will stay on it for awhile and see if I get continued improvements.

I understand Rogaine works only on the vertex (crown) area, the patients for whom it works gets to maintain some hair and can experience a regrowth of very fine hair. Very few patients see a benefit in the frontal/temple area. I take only Finasteride and I never tried Rogaine because three of my friends told me it did next to nothing for them. After becoming a member of this forum I found out that a lot of people use it with Finasteride, IMO I don't think Rogaine does much more than regrow very fine hair only in your crown area.

I have just the opposite reaction. I never received any benefit from finasteride, but with Rogaine I am growing a nice amount of hair, my doctor even commented on this. You never know how you will react to any of these drugs unless you try.

• 10 months later...

I have been using rogaine and propecia for about 4 months now. I definately noticed some regrowth in the front/temple area. It started as a peach fuzz and over time it changed into darker and longer hair. Now I know that the human body is a complex organism and everybody result will vary. Just keep at it and stay positive!

I will try to give some updates if possible over the course of the next couple months to show/see if there are any positive effects on the frontal hairline. I bought Rogaine foam last night for the first time ever at Target (3 month supply $49.99). I will say the application process is much easier than the prior product. Whether it works or not remains to be seen, but I agree that truly positive results only can result from the use of this product combined with propecia. I do take propecia as well, so I will try and let folks know my thoughts/progress (if any) over the course of the next couple months.

Thanks

Hi Juan,

There is a synergistic effect from using both Rogaine and Propecia together. This has been confirmed by many of the top HT practices from experience with patients.

The reason Rogaine is sometimes referenced as only working on the vertex is because this is the area the company carried out their extensive clinical trials. So they can only legitimately market the product along with the stats from their trials in its application to the vertex.

However many people do have success with hairline and mid core so it is always worth a go as you never know your luck.

"Plan for the worst & hope for the best"

Originally posted by iwanthair:

I went to consult with top Doc and he said Rogaine is a waste of money by itself if you dont take propecia. It help grow hair after HT though for some reason. U can try it on hairline and see if you get results. It worked for some.

I wonder if Rogaine foam is a good medicine to maintain hair not as regrow hair tool for ppl who chose not to take Propecia?

Rogaine is not a waste of money by itself if you dont take Propecia. Some men choose not to take Propecia because of the potential side effects, so Rogaine is their only other option, which is effective on it's own. Both Rogaine foam and liquid can preserve hair on the hair line, but not regrow anything significant.

• 2 years later...

I was considering a HT from Ron Shapiro but when I had the phone consultation he told me that I should just use a minoxidil topical solution and propecia for now as I will get the results I am looking for, for a fraction of the price. At first I was skeptical as I head/researched that Rogaine/Minoxidil was only good for the crown of the head, but I decided to follow his instruction. I am using Kirklands Generic Minoxidil 5% along with Provillus tablets (decided against Propecia for now due to potential side effects), GNC Mega Men Sport and ARG Matrix. And I have had significant regrowth in the temples, even within the first week tiny white hairs came up to say hi and now they are getting a lot darker and thicker and longer! I will upload more pic on my blog this weekend. The reason that Rogaine isn't stated for temple regrowth is they have only done clinical trials for the crown of the head... I am guessing that not everyone has luck with regrowth on the temples so they market it as hair regrowth for the crown as they probably got much high results and more profit!

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

I started Rogaine almost three months ago and had incredible amounts of shedding. I started losing my mind it got so bad. Now things have gotten much better and I'm even seeing tiny black hairs pop up in the temples where there hasn't been hair in years. I have no idea how long Rogaine is effective for (months, years), but I'm starting to get my confidence back.

The temples are the first to go, so by the time people notice it and do anything about it the follicles there are usually dead. I believe that is why it's hit and miss with regrowing the hairline. If it's been gone for years then a transplant is probably the only way to fix it.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 5 weeks later...

Do some research. I heard that once your started to use it you have to always use it. If you ever stop any hair that came in contact with it will fall out. Again, it is something I just heard. Call a pharmacist and ask! Better safe then sorry! What im doing now,- I'm using M.Gardson's method without dangerous chemicals. My family has commented they see fuzz growing in my crown. I also noticed 10 new hairs in my hairline in a completely receded area.

restins,

If Rogaine (minoxidil) stimulates hair growth then the only hairs that will be lost upon discontinuation of the drug are those hairs that were grown or retained from its use. Hairs that are genetically resistant to male pattern balding will not become dependent on minoxidil.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...

Minoxidil works by improving blood flow to the area in which it's applied. Apply it to your scalp and it can potentially improve hair density and increase the rate of growth. As such, there's no reason minoxidil shouldn't work for a receding hairline.