B-Spot Anouncement!

the B spot

As of 8/25/07 I will be working with the Shapiro Medical Group in a Patient Advocate/Patient Advisor role. Being active in the online hairloss community, I have often relied on Dr. Shapiro for information regarding techniques, questions about specific terms, patient photos etc.... in addition to being contacted by either current/former/prospective patients of SMG. In the past few weeks, I had called about some scar/plug repair photos, in order to forward them to a guy who emailed me about Dr. Shapiro's repair work and in doing so, it sort of morphed into a discussion about me doing this sort of thing for SMG.

I will not be doing consultations, or scheduling appointments. My role is to be available to answer questions, post patient photos, and try to help alleviate the large amount of emails directed to the clinic. I will also be available for current patient questions, all of which I will try to answer to best of my ability.

I still believe good, solid patient research and education is the key to having a successful hair transplant and that there are a number of physicians capable of delivering good solid work. I truly believe my association with the Shapiro Medical Group will not compromise this belief in any way. I would ask that everyone be patient with me as I work my way into this new role.

Thanks Again,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

As of 8/25/07 I will be working with the Shapiro Medical Group in a Patient Advocate/Patient Advisor role. Being active in the online hairloss community, I have often relied on Dr. Shapiro for information regarding techniques, questions about specific terms, patient photos etc.... in addition to being contacted by either current/former/prospective patients of SMG. In the past few weeks, I had called about some scar/plug repair photos, in order to forward them to a guy who emailed me about Dr. Shapiro's repair work and in doing so, it sort of morphed into a discussion about me doing this sort of thing for SMG.

I will not be doing consultations, or scheduling appointments. My role is to be available to answer questions, post patient photos, and try to help alleviate the large amount of emails directed to the clinic. I will also be available for current patient questions, all of which I will try to answer to best of my ability.

I still believe good, solid patient research and education is the key to having a successful hair transplant and that there are a number of physicians capable of delivering good solid work. I truly believe my association with the Shapiro Medical Group will not compromise this belief in any way. I would ask that everyone be patient with me as I work my way into this new role.

Thanks Again,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

That's cool B Spot. You have a tremendous amount of knowledge to share.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Shit man, everyones getting a promotion. Who's a guy gotta know?

NN

P.S. You'll be awesome at the role I do have to admit. Congratulations!

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

B Spot,

Congratulations good friend!

You know...I am pretty sure I saw this one coming! Call it intuition icon_smile.gif.

You are truly an excellent selection for the job if I don't say so myself.

You have been a strong patient advocate on this forum, looking out for the patient's best interest and I respect you for that.

I know you will do an outstanding job in this new role.

Best wishes,

Bill

I am getting off this forum before I get recruited - next thing you know Nervous Nelly will be working at Bosley icon_eek.gif

Seriously, congratulations B-Spot! Shapiro saw a smart guy and did not want him to get away. Your intelligence is only surpassed by your good looks!

Your input and your willingness to hold Doctors feet to the fire is a special gift. Keep that spirit to move the HT industry ahead to the next level and beyond.

NoBuzz

Thanks to everyone----Trust me when I say I appreciate the support icon_smile.gif

just to add something here that was asked elsewhere.... this is not a full-time job guys---

I am learning/working my way into this position while I attend law school, so please bear with me.

I am still a believer in solid education and long-term planning and I believe in trying to help everyone. I can still do all of this in my new role.

Rhodeman--- no coupons just yet, BUT....I will see if I can find one of those "I just got a HT with Ron Shapiro and all I got was this awesome head of hair" buttons icon_biggrin.gif

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Bspot, It is always a great thing when your work is something you are passionate about.

And of course it is a good feeling to have such a high regard for your doctor that you can confidently & proudly recommend him to prospective patients.

Good for you...

Good for Shapiro...

NOT Good for the forum...

Wow I just got back from my vacation and now this? Congrats, but what is this? I explicitly asked you who you worked for in my thread to PowerRanger and you didn't disclose the information?! How long was this arrangement in the making? Why can you not be a patient advocate without being paid by Shapiro Medical?

To NervousNelly,

I have some post-op pics from my clinic. May I please email them to you and if you think that they are good work can you please post them on this forum on our behave? The reason why I want you to post the pictures and not myself is because you have an "IN" in this community. We will pay you 40 US dollars for each picture you decide to post as well as for each good comments you make about our particular Bosley clinic. Thanks.

-Grace

• Administrators

As many of the long time members of this community know, I have been a staunch critic of the creeping commercialization of patient based educational forums. As physicians and clinics have become increasingly aware of the impact of patient based forums, some have used the forums as a vehicle for self-promotion. Some of them have enlisted people to promote their services on the forums, while others have even compensated patients to encourage them to post. Those physicians who compensated people to post on this forum without disclosing such arrangements ("covert marketing") were removed and are no longer presented.

In my opinion, such pay for posting arrangements undermine the voluntary educational nature of the patient forums and diminish their authenticity and credibility.

Thus when a clinic hires a person outside of their office to promote them on the forums, I believe it gives them an unfair advantage over those quality clinics who do not pay for such assistance.

In the past, Dr. Ron Shapiro, his brother Dr. Paul Shapiro and their lead medical technician, Janna, have shared their ideas and patient photos on this forum for the benefit of all, without enlisting a third party outside their office. In my opinion, this was the most responsible model for how a clinic should interact with our forum.

By hiring an outside third party, no matter how popular or unpopular this person may be, to promote them on this and other forums the Shapiro Medical Group is setting a different example for their colleagues. This concerns me.

I want this forum to be a level playing field where all patients and ethical clinics get a fair and proportionate share of visibility. Paying a poster or posters upsets this natural balance in my opinion.

Forgive the analogy, but just as most parks require people to not upset the natural balance by feeding the wild life, I think we should discourage physicians from paying posters on this forum.

Hiring people outside of the clinic staff and office to work the forums in my opinion upsets the natural voluntary balance of the forums.

Those who are familiar with some of the other hair loss forums know just how out of balance a discussion forum can become when certain clinics employee agents to work the forums for them.

I would like to preserve the open, volunteer and non-commercial nature of this educational patient based forum.

I will soon be contacting all physicians who participate on this community to encourage them to respect this delicate balance and not upset it by paying outside third party posters for their services.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Just when I got a offer eh Pat! icon_cool.gif Man, I was just ready to sign my contract of intent. Damn.

Pat, I understand what it is you are saying and do agree with you; however, how is it really that much different than having an existing employee post?

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Grace, touche!

Pat, I am glad to see that you do not support clinics hiring 3rd party posters.

There is a conflict of interest issue.

I'm sorry to say that this is also a conflict of interest, even though Bill is TRYING to be non biased.

Posted by Bill, Congratulations on selecting an elite hair transplant physician.

In fact, your surgery with Dr. Hasson falls just short of the 1 year anniversary of my surgery with Dr. Hasson.

Folica,

Posted by Bill, Congratulations on selecting an elite hair transplant physician.

In fact, your surgery with Dr. Hasson falls just short of the 1 year anniversary of my surgery with Dr. Hasson.

What about that statement is a conflict of interest?

1. Am I paid by Hasson and Wong? No!

2. Have I not posted similar comments to patients of other top notch physicians? Yes!

3. Do we not recommend Dr. Hasson because of of his level of patient care and dedication to hair transplantation? Yes.

4. Is it also a conflict of interest that Pat had his HTs with Dr. Shapiro? Of course not!

5. Aren't I entitled to have a high opinion of a hair restoration clinic that helped restore the bulk of my hair? I'd say so!

So what is the problem?

The bottom line is I post what I believe regardless of my employement here. Coming from you, I'm a bit insulted especially since you have known me way before it was even a thought that I would become the Associate Publisher here.

Bill

Originally posted by Pat - Publisher of this Community:

As many of the long time members of this community know, I have been a staunch critic of the creeping commercialization of patient based educational forums. As physicians and clinics have become increasingly aware of the impact of patient based forums, some have used the forums as a vehicle for self-promotion. Some of them have enlisted people to promote their services on the forums, while others have even compensated patients to encourage them to post. Those physicians who compensated people to post on this forum without disclosing such arrangements ("covert marketing") were removed and are no longer presented.

In my opinion, such pay for posting arrangements undermine the voluntary educational nature of the patient forums and diminish their authenticity and credibility.

Thus when a clinic hires a person outside of their office to promote them on the forums, I believe it gives them an unfair advantage over those quality clinics who do not pay for such assistance.

In the past, Dr. Ron Shapiro, his brother Dr. Paul Shapiro and their lead medical technician, Janna, have shared their ideas and patient photos on this forum for the benefit of all, without enlisting a third party outside their office. In my opinion, this was the most responsible model for how a clinic should interact with our forum.

By hiring an outside third party, no matter how popular or unpopular this person may be, to promote them on this and other forums the Shapiro Medical Group is setting a different example for their colleagues. This concerns me.

I want this forum to be a level playing field where all patients and ethical clinics get a fair and proportionate share of visibility. Paying a poster or posters upsets this natural balance in my opinion.

Forgive the analogy, but just as most parks require people to not upset the natural balance by feeding the wild life, I think we should discourage physicians from paying posters on this forum.

Hiring people outside of the clinic staff and office to work the forums in my opinion upsets the natural voluntary balance of the forums.

Those who are familiar with some of the other hair loss forums know just how out of balance a discussion forum can become when certain clinics employee agents to work the forums for them.

I would like to preserve the open, volunteer and non-commercial nature of this educational patient based forum.

I will soon be contacting all physicians who participate on this community to encourage them to respect this delicate balance and not upset it by paying outside third party posters for their services.

Pat

I guess if I was being paid to be a salesman, sure.

However, my role is more education and research.

In addition, because Dr. Ron Shapiro, Dr. Paul Shapiro and Janna continually put in many long hours each day, it becomes very difficult to keep abreast of important discussions. SMG really wants to become more involved. In this manner, I will be able to direct these topics to SMG and get actual opinion and direct statements from the doctors.

I am under the impression that you desired more physician/clinic involvement?

Thanks for your support,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Bill, I recognize that you are Trying to be non biased.

I said that in my post.

I think you are doing a good job at doing that & I meant no offense toward you.

It's just the way that it is & not that I care, but it does seem to give H&W an edge to have one of thier patients as the forum moderator.

Prospective patients will see that you are the moderator & I believe that gives you more credibility.

Not at all an attack on you just a follow up to Pat's post & my opininon.

Peace,

Bill,

I think I understand what Folica is saying and I don't believe that he meant it in that manner. For example, one of the main reasons that I chose Shapiro is that I figured that if Pat went there and he has visited several clinics thru out the world, it must be the place to go. It is an indirect bias even though I have never heard Pat push people there. It can't be helped though. It is what it is. Does this make sense?

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Folica,

With respect to Bill, I've read tons of his posts (hard not too icon_smile.gif) and I think you'd have to agree he's one of the most objective posters on this forum. I understand the percieved edge it gives H&W, but anyone whose read his posts knows he doesn't push them any more than other top docs. He always gives credit where it's due and I respect him for that.

I think the value he adds in his new role far outweighs any indirect bias toward H&W (same with B-Spot). As long as they continue to educate and try to raise the standards of the HT docs, then I don't have a problem with it. If a co-moderator or patient educator regularly spoke about their doctor without also mentioning other Coalition docs, that's a different story. Just my $0.02.

Jersey

Thanks Jersey23 for your support.

I think I misinterpreted Folica's intention, however...so everything is good.

I fear however, that we've turned this post into talk of my position rather than B Spots. So let's bring it back on track.

If anyone wants to further comment on my position, feel free to do so here.

Bill