Who's the best for hairline work ?

Badger

Hey all,

Im doin a lot of reading of Surgeons Websites, Forums, etc. Theres 4 people who look very interesting.

Namely Epstein, Feller, Shapiro, Hasson & Wong.

I am a bit boggled though.

Epstein is very upfront about his results, particularly in regard to pictures of the donor area which he shows on his site and are available on the forums. There is very little long term scarring judging by the images. Plus he seems to have an enormous amount of respect among the media and conmetics field and likewise among his patients. But the hairline work that he shows pictures of on his website are not nearly as impressive as shapiro, hasson & wong or feller.

Why is this. Is this a somewhat minimal approach to hair density down to medical ethics?ie not being greedy in case damage is done to the patient.

I suppose, overall my real question is who is the best for hairline work and also the most careful about leaving the most minimal level of donor area scarring.

Epstein being a plastic surgeon seems like a safe option. But the beast in me also wants a dence forest of hair growin on my scalp.

Its obvious that the more hair you extract, then the bigger the scar or perhaps the risk of scarring.

W

Any Thoughts?

Your old mucker

Badger

Hey all,

Im doin a lot of reading of Surgeons Websites, Forums, etc. Theres 4 people who look very interesting.

Namely Epstein, Feller, Shapiro, Hasson & Wong.

I am a bit boggled though.

Epstein is very upfront about his results, particularly in regard to pictures of the donor area which he shows on his site and are available on the forums. There is very little long term scarring judging by the images. Plus he seems to have an enormous amount of respect among the media and conmetics field and likewise among his patients. But the hairline work that he shows pictures of on his website are not nearly as impressive as shapiro, hasson & wong or feller.

Why is this. Is this a somewhat minimal approach to hair density down to medical ethics?ie not being greedy in case damage is done to the patient.

I suppose, overall my real question is who is the best for hairline work and also the most careful about leaving the most minimal level of donor area scarring.

Epstein being a plastic surgeon seems like a safe option. But the beast in me also wants a dence forest of hair growin on my scalp.

Its obvious that the more hair you extract, then the bigger the scar or perhaps the risk of scarring.

W

Any Thoughts?

Your old mucker

Badger

Badger,

Great post and good questions. Unfortunately, determining the "best" it mostly a matter of opinion when it comes to artistry...and when we are talking about hairlines, that's the aspect that we are talking about the most. All 5 doctors (4 clinics) do excellent work, but I admit, I have my preferences as well. I think instead of telling you who I think is best (which is already obvious based on my choices of docs), I think more general direction is good: look at a multitude of patients who had hairline work from each doctor and then make a determination who YOU like best. Of course, the other consideration to be aware of (as you already stated) is numbers. Ultimately, numbers will determine density, however, the artistry is more personal preference. Good luck!

Bill

Good Response Bill.

Badger, you have to remember that when all is said and done--- it is the artistic touch that seperates the very good from the best.

Eye of the beholder and realistic expectations play a role as well.

If you look at enough work done by each of the Doc's you have named, you will be able to make a decision.

Happy Hunting!!!!!!

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Dr. Alexander prides himself in his undetectable, and extremely natural hair lines. The density he offers is as good as anyone in the US.

Toby, MA

Biltmore Surgical Hair Restoration

apreop1.jpg

bimmediatelypostop1.jpg

Post op 5 months

c5monthspostop1.jpg

dimmediatelypostop2.jpg

Post op 7 months

e7monthspostop2.jpg

fpreop3.jpg

1yr post op

g1yrpostop3.jpg

1yr post op

h1yrpostop3.jpg

This is a tough question. It does come down to personal preference and ofcourse most will be somewhat biased by the docs they have had work done with. That is to be expected.

As an individual that is in need of some hairline work to cover old HT and whom has researched the shit out of things I am not going to give you the diplomatic answer.

NervousNelly's Best of-----

Best Hairlines

1. Dr. Ron Shapiro

2. Dr. Armani(ethical issues however)

3. Dr. Alexander

4. Dr. Keene-softer and thinner types

Best Over all

1. H&W

2. Dr. Feller

3. Dr. Ron Shapiro

4. Dr. Rahal

Best Value(Including quality)

1. Dr. Rahal

2. Dr. Feller

Best Density

1. Dr. Rahal

2. H&W

3. Dr. Shapiro

4. Dr. Feller

Most Diversified(Handle all situations)

1. Dr. Feller-Tops at FUE

2. Dr. Shapiro

3. H&W

Best Repair Work

1. Dr. Feller

2. Dr. Wong

3. Dr. Vogel

This is ofcourse my opinion and I understand I might get butchered for my response. There are ofcourse other very talented physicians but I had to limit to the tops in my opinion. I also leave it open to change.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Nervous, I like your response. Very nice!

I have to say that I am always a little skeptical of surgeons who post their showcase results. What really counts is the real patients posting their own results - don't you think?

Having said that, I would like to add Dr. Keene in the most diversified category. She definitely does not use a cookie cutter approach to patients like many doctors do. She analyzes each patient and plants accordingly. Many doctors will say they do that, but in reality they don't.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hi NN & Gorpy

I was surprised you didnt mention Dr. True or Dorin and they are well respected. Dr. True has a very good reputation for hairlines and crown work as well..

Of course, visit the clinics, see the patients and determine for yourself

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Gorpy said...

"What really counts is the real patients posting their own results - don't you think? "

I agree. Nothing says as much as patients posting results on their own. If done correctly, you get to read their thoughts, their experiences and see the progression. I think this speaks volumes about a clinic and the results they achieve.

Here are a few results that are not "showcased" on our clinic's website but rather are posted on the patients' own accord. These are only a few of what I had time to organize. There are dozens more around the web.

Of course, in our clinical files I have plenty to share via photos and video but I thought I'd break from traditionicon_smile.gif

Me-repair patient-Dr. Wong

mejotronickm2.jpg

John-Dr. Hasson

johnfd6.jpg

Hairbank-Dr. Wong

hairbankzd3.jpg

Garageland-repair patient-Dr. Hasson

garagelandmr9.jpg

Futzyhead-Dr. Hasson

futzyheadps8.jpg

Domie-Dr. Wong

domiebt9.jpg

Dart-Dr. Hasson

dartyx4.jpg

Bushy-Dr. Hasson

bushywj4.jpg

Bobman-Dr. Hasson

bobmankv3.jpg

Arnold-Dr. Hasson

arnoldyt1.jpg

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the response guys,

Theres a lot there to digest. There sure is a lot of good work out there. Its encouraging to say the least.

Spex, ive seen your blog/web page on dr fellers website. Its good. At some stage i will take you up on your offer for a consultation in the UK.

Sometimes by posting a personal list as I did you get the follow-up posts such as we got. They are the "oh ya I'll show you" type posts. That is a good thing. It invokes a response and I appreciate that.

As I stated earlier my list was not in stone and was subject to change.

Gorpy- Yes Dr. Keene should be on the diversified list.

Mrjb- True and Dorin are top notch surgeons and I agree could/should be on the list.

It is kind of like if you win an award there is always going to be someone vital that you forgot to thank. I don't want to offend anyone or start a war because I didn't list them or their doc. Remember this is just my personal thoughts. There are many top docs out there that are very skilled. Hopefully we will get to see more posts as a result of this thread.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I've enjoyed looking at the work! Great thread for anyone in need of hairline/temple work and nice to have so many excellent Docs to choose from.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I agree that Dr. Hasson and Dr. Wong have the most patients posting their own pictures. Very nice work.

Yes, it is very nice to have so many excellent docs to choose from. It becomes pretty obvious that a large number of docs can produce very nice hairlines. What it then comes down to is a choice between styles - not a choice between quality work. There are subtle style and placement differences when it comes to hairlines.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I'm quite impressed with the Feller hairlines. It seems that Feller is becoming a big player in most all disciplines (crown, FUE, hairline, repair).

My opinion, of course!

Hi all

To be honest. I'd let any of them work on me if they were doing it for free ..Honestly, all the mentioned docs are great. Keep in mind, there isn't one doctor who hold the key to the perfect hairline.. Many have this talent ..

It's up to the patient to get someone who he feels comfortable with

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I just tried to post, but it didn't...looks like the site was down for a short time.

Anyway...GREAT THREAD! Thanks to the many who posted great information and to the clinics who posted photos. Photos in many ways can speak for themselves...as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! That being said...I am in agreement...the best form of "advertising" if you will are patient photos posted by patients. Thanks to the clinics above also for contributing various showcase AND non-showcase photos!

Bill