Shock loss ?

2 months since my HT, so far only the hair around the donar area fell out about a week after the procedure. Doc said it should grow back within 3 months.

thought this site was supposed to be supportive and address common concerns. you guys don't seem too pleased with your results, it's very discouraging. 2 months past my procedure, haven't had any problems, things seem to be healing normal.

I wouldn't say people here aren't pleased with their results. Everyone has been very positive. There are a couple of downers, but they wouldn't be happy regardless of the situation. I think it's awesome you haven't lost hair. That sounds very positive and seems like you had a good surgeon. Good luck, show us some pictures.

Michael

HT 1-13-06 Dr. Cooley 2600 grafts

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album

I would say I kept up to 40% of the transplanted hairs, they started to grow after 2 months or so.

My 1st HT was about a year ago. I had minimal shock loss from the donor area. However, I have noticed that the hair in the donor area is a little thinner than it was. My donor strip was like a big smile on back of my head, the "thin" part is a the top corners of the smile by my ears, if that makes sense. The bottom of the smile is fine.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by ifloss:

There are a couple of downers, but they wouldn't be happy regardless of the situation.

icon_biggrin.gif I wonder who you have in mind!!!

Let's just say my HT with Dr Hasson made a hugely positive change to my life, appearance and self-confidence. Need I say more?

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

what % of hair's they kept in the transplanted area before shock loss.

Don't you mean 'after'shock loss? If it occurs at all, shock loss doesn't happen until after the HT. So, the % of hair's kept in the transplanted area 'before' shock loss would be 100%. HOWEVER, the % of hair's kept in the transplanted area 'after' shock loss can be quite different from person to person.

Personally, I had some shock loss after my first HT, but it came back. I'm a little over two months into my second HT and I haven't noticed any shock loss yet. Could be too early to tell.

Originally posted by ethebuilder:

I'm VERY happy with my HT and it was explained to me that I might have some shock loss. I wanted to poll the audience to see what % of hair's they kept in the transplanted area before shock loss.

Just so we're all on the same page..........shock loss pertains to existing hair, not transplanted hair, right?

My understanding is the transplanted hair may or may not fall out. If it falls out, it'll grow back, or, it may go into a dormant stage for a couple months then just start growing. As I said in my above post, I think I kept around 40% of my transplanted hair, the other little guys fell out then came back later.

Now.........I did have some shock loss to my "existing" hair around the donor area, of which, most has come back after a year (not all). I also had substantial shock loss to my existing hair (not transplanted hair) since mine "filled in" hair that was around the top and front. Those hairs never returned, but my transplanted hairs filled in nicely. Definitely much thicker looking that before.

I hope my post is not confusing to you (I often confuse my self!). After I read your reply I just wondered if we were comparing "apples to apples"!

Hairbank

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Yes, that's my understanding. Kind of cool when you keep the transplanted hair then it starts to grow! Everyone's a little different.

Good luck with your progress!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

my transplanted hairs fell out 5 days after the procedure, which I expected. the hairs around the donar area fell out a couple of weeks later, that was very unexpected. I'm hoping the transplanted hairs and the donar area hairs grow in all at the same time.

I am 3 weeks post HT, with 2000 grafts done. I have noticed considerable hair loss of my "existing" hair in the donor site. This is beginning to scare me although NuHart, where I had the procedure done, assures me this is most likely Shock Loss and SHOULD grow back. I DID, however, somehow manage to keep most of the hairs in the grafts (or so it appears)

Hi

Just had my 2nd procedure (1417) and I think I have kept about 1/2 of my grafts.. It's odd because the 1st procedure I think they all fell out? At a month post op , I feel stubble on the crown..

Odd

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by ethebuilder:

Has anyone kept all there hair after a HT ?

For about three weeks... then it started to shed - by 6 weeks all the transplanted hair had shed.

No shockloss around the donor area except for a very small area (an area about half the size of a finger nail) at the top corner of the smilie by my left ear (as hairbank explained...) where there was more scab than on the rest of the scar. This probably wasn't shockloss as hair began to grow as soon as the scab came off - growth was just temporarily prevented by the scab.

PB

My only concern about getting a HT was the scar, since I am Black. I never heard of shock loss before I had the procedure done, I'm not sure if I would have gotten the procedure if I had heard about it. It's scary to look at the donar area, I hope it heals properly and all the hairs grow back soon. I'm two months past the procedure, and at this point it seems to be healing smooth and flat.

That's funny, I started using an poly bacitracin ointment too, just to see if it would help, it seemed to speed up the healing, at least the redness and itching went away after a couple of days. My hair is really short all over, Buzzed with number 1 guard, I guess I should grow it longer to cover up the area while it's healing, and be more patient and positive about the whole thing.

Dr Conti did my HT at the Virginia Surgical Center.

• 2 years later...

Hello

I am a 40 year old female who had a transplant nov 07. It is now Feb and I have lost about 60% of my natural hair that was present in the transplanted area from shock loss and have lost hair from the donor site as well.

I had 2200 grafts done and have been reassured that the hair will grow however it is hard in this phase as I will need to wair for 1 year or more to see the result. I use TOPPIK to hide the "bald" areas from the loss. It is scary and I wonder if you could let me know if your hair has regrown as you posted this in 2006.

thanks

leslie

Leslie,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

Firstly, I recommend creating your own discussion thread by going to "new" above and then clicking "discussion". You will most likely get a much better response.

Secondly, 3 months post-op is way too early to evaluate the hair transplant result. Shock loss, though unfortunately, is pretty common, especially amongst women from my understanding. The good news is, these hairs that have gone into telogen effluvium will start to grow back at the same time as the transplanted hair.

Feel free to share your experience and pictures by creating a hair loss weblog.

Best wishes,

Bill

Shockloss means that your native/existing hairs fall out due to shock from the trauma of surgery. It is typically temporary and the hair will grow back around 3-4 months. However, if the hair is weak and destined to fall out soon from MPB, the shockloss could be permanent.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com