Why use medication after an hair transplant?

The HT hairs are supposed to be DHT-resistant. HTs are advertised as permanent solutions. Still, I see many people in this forum taking Propecia or using Minoxidil after an HT. Are those prescribed by the doctor, or do u take it to doubly make sure that the spent money doesnt go to waste?

I am 25 and NW2 right now. I would wait for 2 more years till I become NW3, get a HT and then forget all about my head. Ain't it that simple?

All these beauty pills (propecia), and these makeups (rogaine)- that too everyday - are too girly man...

Gimme ur feedback...

It's not the transplanted hair you use these medications to maintain, it's your native hair that you're trying to keep from falling out as well. I think your transplant plan is very simple-minded, and you obviously have a lot to learn. Get to work reading this and other forums. And if you're serious about keeping your hair, I'd get on Propecia immediately and stay on it indefinitely until something better comes along.

dmale25,

Nikkop23 has some good advice for you, you need to understand what the cause of hairloss is and your expecatations of a HT. There is no cure for hairloss only treatments and the only FDA approved treatments for hairloss is Propecia and Minoxidil. No one has enough donor hair to restore a head full of hair so in order to maintain the best cosmetic result in the future is to hold on to as much native hair as possible with the approved hairloss treatments.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Originally posted by dmale25:

All these beauty pills (propecia), and these makeups (rogaine)- that too everyday - are too girly man...

Gimme ur feedback...

If you are such a "man" why even do the HT? Seems very girly to me...

The more I learn about HT's and whether or not to have one...............the more I realize it's purely personal choice based on how an individual wants to appear. If you're going bald, don't care whether it looks appealing on you or not............end of story. Don't get a HT, shave it down (or not, whatever!) do what you want because obviously it's of no concern.

OTOH.........some people simply don't like losing their hair and going bald and want to do something about it like trying the preventatives (Finasteride, Minoxidil...) and/or a HT.

As has been stated above, even if you have a HT future loss around the fringe or of any remaining native hair on top is always a concern so you have to commit to a regimen that offers the best chance to keep what you have.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by John_in_NC:

If you are such a "man" why even do the HT? Seems very girly to me...

John,

You got me wrong. Most people do not want to go bald. But, the everyday regimen to maintain the cosmetic look requires a lot of commitment... (look how women maintain their beauty...)

I thought the HT would be an easy way out. Do it, forget about it...

From what I have read, that may not be realistic, unless u r prepared to do an HT say every 5 years to make up for ur lost native hairs... even then, it seems u may not have enough donor hairs.

There should be a simpler way out...

Originally posted by dmale25:

Still, I see many people in this forum taking Propecia or using Minoxidil after an HT. Are those prescribed by the doctor....

I am 25 and NW2 right now. I would wait for 2 more years till I become NW3, get a HT and then forget all about my head. Ain't it that simple?

Propecia/finasteride can be prescribed by a doctor or you can also find it online, although I'm not sure how trusty some online sources are. You can buy Rogaine/minoxidil from your local drugstore, grocery store, etc.

You claim that you're a NW2, but if you at least start taking Propecia/finasteride right now, you may be able to prevent yourself from ever getting to an NW3.

• 4 years later...

I can actually understand where Dmale is coming from. When I started this journey, I had been using Rogaine and was told to get on Propecia. Back then (mid 30s), the thought of being on a pill and putting foam on my head everyday for the rest of my life was a bummer and seemed to be such a pain (course, I went on to lose a lot more hair eventually and looking back, it sure doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore, given the trade off - Norwood 2 seems like heaven once you hit Norwood 4 and beyond). I looked at a HT as a way to escape all the fuss (or the seeming fuss) and expense of Rogaine and Propecia. After doing a lot more reading and educating myself, if I had to do it all over again, I'd get on Propecia and stick with the Rogaine. By the time I committed to a HT, i was a Norwood 4 (I was told, although I think I was more like a Norwood 5). I'm in my 40s and my balding pattern was pretty clear so I never did get on Propecia (part of me thinks that the DHT in my body isn't there only to cause me grief and hairloss - my body must need it for other things too). Two HTs later and my head of hair is essentially restored (my crown is growing in right now 4 months out from last HT - it's still early days but if I didn't get any more growth at all from here forward, I'd still be extremely happy and content where I'm at). I actually don't plan on using Propecia or Rogaine, which I think in my case makes sense. I lost all my hair from the front all the way back through my crown and that's all been restored with supposedly DHT resistant hair. My sides and back are thick and don't appear to be in any danger. I'm lucky in that I have thick coarse hair and was able to achieve my goal with my donor hair (approx. 5200 grafts).

That said, if I were in my 20s or early 30s, I wouldn't hesitate to get on Propecia and use Rogaine. I'm sure that would have helped me maintain a lot of my native hair and pushed my HT journey way back (and saved me a boatload of money as I spent over $20k to get my hair back). Who knows, maybe I would have only needed one HT instead of two. In any case, my 30s would have been better had I been able to maintain more of my hair. I lost a lot of hair in a pretty short time and that was pretty damn painful. Ya can't get that time back.

Tao,

I think you bring up an excellent point. These proven, preventive measures (such as Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride) ) can truly help stabilize and cease progressive hair loss (especially when utilized at an early stage). To those who may be considering such products, I recommend visiting our new online hair loss store.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Yes, I am most most grateful for that Epileptic. I'm also grateful that I followed the advice most often given here regarding not letting price dictate your final decision on a doc. I could have gotten two HTs for cheaper, sure. But I couldn't have gotten any better and I probably would have gotten a lot worse (I know I would have). I saved and waited until I was in a position to finance two great HTs from a great recommended doc (Konior) and man, I don't regret that at all. I almost went with a hack to save some money and that would have been a disaster.

By the way, when I mentioned in my previous post that I have essentially restored my lost hair, that's really not true. What I have done is restored the illusion of my lost hair. It looks really good but it's definitely nowhere near as dense as my youth. Luckily that illusion thing is good enough!