Readers poll - What day did you lose your grafts

Hi all HT patients.

Just curious?? What day did you start losing your grafts after surgery? Generally, they say it can happen 1 week - 3 weeks..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi all HT patients.

Just curious?? What day did you start losing your grafts after surgery? Generally, they say it can happen 1 week - 3 weeks..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

MOST of mine started jumping ship around the 2 week mark. I'd say by 4 weeks all that were going to leave were gone (traitors!! icon_mad.gif)

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks Bank.. Almost 3 weeks mine are still here?? I highly doubt they will stay

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

For me, they started around the 2 week mark and were mostly if not all gone by the 3 week mark.

Mrjb,

Fear or fear not...they won't all stay...wish they would but the never do. Some people lose them late, even after 4 weeks. There area couple threads here and there with hopefuls who still have the majority of their grafts by week 4 and then by week 6 or 7, they're all gone...sad but true. But you know the drill....they return and oh happy days!

Bill

I held on to mine for about 5-6 weeks. Just when I was convinced I was going to be one of the lucky ones & keep all my transplanted hairs...

I'm guessing I might still be holding on to about 5-10% of original transplanted hair and I'm about a week past the 3 month mark (not the most exciting time in the HT process).

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

None of my grafts shed for the first two weeks. However, as soon as I started washing my hair normally at day 14 (in accordance with my post-op instructions), the scabs were falling out like crazy with a small hair shaft within. I am now 6 full weeks after my HT, and I would say I still retain about 10%-15% of the transplanted hair that are now actually growing longer.

During my HT with Dr. Cooley, I specifically asked him about graft shedding. Believe it or not, he said there is actually a very small percentage of his HT patients who held onto ALL their transplated grafts that just kept growing. If he was to put it in numbers, he would say about 1 out of 20. He also said he wished he knew why, so he could make it happen every time ......

During my HT with Dr. Cooley, I specifically asked him about graft shedding. Believe it or not, he said there is actually a very small percentage of his HT patients who held onto ALL their transplated grafts that just kept growing. If he was to put it in numbers, he would say about 1 out of 20. He also said he wished he knew why, so he could make it happen every time ......

Very interesting...I'm sure there are doctors working on discovering a way to do this...but seemingly, it is not the norm for this to happen. In fact, I have yet to run into one person on any forum that claims that this has happened...but wouldn't it be awesome if it did happen all the time?

Bill

Thanks all for your input

As I said, I know it's a matter of time ( haha I feel like a newbie) . I am at a day before three weeks and they are still hanging on. i have no expectation that they will stay but hey, they are past the "stubble phase.

Cheer mates

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

This may sound odd, but I am hoping a lot of the front ones don't hang on too long. I would prefer they shed and then come back in over time so it appears more natural regrowth. I am kinda nervous about walking into the office after two weeks and having a five o'clock shadow on the front of my new head. ALready trying to figure out a new hair cut to blend it a bit.

I just hi 3 weeks , no shedding yet ?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

It would be neat if we create a chart and find out the average number of days it took for the new grafts to grow in correlation to how early the grafts shed after the HT. We would be able to see the relationship between the two!

Good post MRJB

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

I started shedding the transplanted hairs at 16 days, but managed to hang on to maybe 25-30% in total. The funny thing was that at 14 days, the scabs were resting on top of the hairs. They were no longer attached to the scalp, but I was so nervous about dislodging the grafts and so gentle with maintenance that the scabs eventually were just hanging on to the tips of the hairs and I couldn't bring myself to slide them off. Two weeks after the procedure, I finally got a little rougher with massaging the grafts with shampoo to get the scabs off, and a few days after that I noticed some of the hairs finally coming off. I remember freaking out during the first week because at the time I had read on a few generic, anonymous hair transplant info websites that all scabs, pinkness, and transplanted hairs should be gone 3-4 days after the procedure. What a bunch of b.s. I could have saved myself from a few panic attacks had I come here back then, although in retrospect I don't see why retaining all the hairs two weeks later scared me since common logic suggests that they were not damaged in that case.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

3 weeks plus, they are still here.. Hmmmm

Dare I think some will stay??

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 4 months later...

^^^

I found this thread with the help of the "FIND" feature, it REALLY works icon_smile.gif

Mrjb: I was curious, what was the outcome of your shedding or lack of?

So as I read, it seems most do not lose 100% of the grafts? I'am now 17 days post op and noticing some slight shedding, I'm kinda wondering when it gets to the worst point, how much I'll have holding on.

So I can expect a small # of grafts to hold on and grow normally? Or is this simply wishful thinking?

3147 ish) grafts Dr. Konior

No meds.

Lost most between 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 weeks. Still have some now at almost 6 weeks.

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Ironic this post was revived? It seems like that is a long time ago

I am 5 months post op plus and my results are great.. Tough for me to see the progress but I do think I kept half of my grafts. How that is related to my results I cannot specifcy..

All I know is I am 5 months and if things didn't get better I would still be happy ( We all know that is not going to happen so I am extremely optimistic). Most of the grafts were mid / crown to you cannot see too well, rather experience the added fullness overall.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!