21 Months Post-OP (Dr. Feller, shedding, continued thinning, etc.)

I've been going through a *brutal* shed the past several months; additionally, I have lost ground since my HT and thinned behind the hairline, further exposing density issues as it cracks open the illusion of density that we are all about.

That said, I went into hyperdrive attempting to perfect a hair regiment to get me through things since the situation was becoming untenable. Boosting naturalness and density was what I concerned myself with.

When I get back from the gym later and shower I'll post some pics of my hair w/o *any* product in, and "styled" in a way I see *many* HT patients go about things. I'll also take photos step by step of each product and tecnique I use in my regiment to show their incremental effects.

That said, here are the afters, and some pre-ops included. I wanted to take shots in the sun but it's incredibly overcast where I am recently. Total time between getting out of the shower and going through the steps....~3minutes or so.

baldy.jpg

bald22.jpg

shakarian002.jpg

mmmmmm006.jpg

mmmmmm001.jpg

mmmmmm003.jpg

blondey002.jpg

blondey003.jpg

blondey006.jpg

blondey007.jpg

blondey009.jpg

blondey001.jpg

blondey013.jpg

You should be able to zoom in on these pics, and the clarity won't take a shot -- I wasn't sure how to zoom and get them uploaded though as is.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thx. Added 2 pre-ops, and 1 pre-styling. I'll include some better pre-styling and intra-styling later.

Also, as for products: I used Aveda's Pure Abundance line of clay conditioner and shampoo; Samy Fat Hair Creme (which is mainly for taming purposes and conditioning the hair for styling; blow dry; Dirt (generic FX version).

One thing you can still notice nonetheless are these two "gaps" I have in my hairline. I went through an incredibly stressful period a bit ago and I nervously was working my hand through my hairline a lot, and I think this has been the cause. But it could be just part of this shed I'm going through.

Going forward, I might be bleaching my entire head of hair from the roots up, but I'm not sure. I think it would help further the illusion of density, but I might just go get a touch up job focused on my hairline to further help things along.

I will say, coloring the hair has truly helped out my top and zone behind my HT; in and of itself it looks much fuller, but it has in turn helped bolster my hairline up close under bright lighting.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

I think your post-op pics look fantastic Thana. You also picked a good style for the transplanted hair.

I noticed the thin gaps in your hairline but they don't look bad. Besides, you don't often see many perfectly straight hairlines even in non-balding men. It looks very natural.

I would hold off on a touch-up job for now. In a couple years or so you might need to address behind the transplanted region anyways. So I'd wait until its absolutely necessary. Simply because your hair looks good now.

How does one can tell the difference between a shed and balding?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

i agree with aaron. with your age and the amount of graphs you have already used, plus the fact that propecia is seemingly not holding the rest of your hair, i think u better save those grpahs for later. your hairline is already lower than a lot of people who gets transplants and looks really natural to me. just my opinion tho...

Thx for the remarks/insight. And I agree.

I'm not truly sure, aaron, how to tell what is and is isn't a shed -- at least until you wait out so many months and see if the hair has come back. Also, if you can recall or tell if the hairs being lost where terminal....it likely is a shed vs. weak hairs that could very well have been on their way out.

And maxxy that's an excellent question and one I am not sure of. Given how little hair I had pre-op, I'm inclined to think the hairs lost are transplanted hair. But I'm not positive. And I also can't even tell if the "gaps" are coming back with more hair; that they still seem to be persisting makes me think it could be permanent loss, in which case the hairs being HT hairs makes little sense (as far as I know).

It's been kind of puzzling to me; the interplay between a shed or simply continued thinning, coupled with these mysterious "gaps". Needless to say, I won't be making any decisions in haste, but these "gaps" do trouble me.

My plan has been to wait till my top and vertex thin enough to where a HT could make sense; and then a 3rd and hopefully final HT down the road from then when I am older, my MPB has more fully revealed itself, and I can do one last carpet bombing of any thin areas, if I continued to thin.

Also, fin has def worked well for me -- my crown was thinning but it's been halted and even reversed with thickening. It's really my top, and, perhaps, loosing the filler in my HT recipient zone that has taken hits.

-----------

Thana,

Im with the other guys, you look great. Your hair is impressive. You constant input on this site is much appreciated and doesnt go unnoticed.

Things look like there holdin up great to me, and the colour looks cool!

May I ask you, what age you were in this first shot 2004?

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

recently, I also noticed a gap in my hairline - I know the gap is transplanted hair as I had no native hair in the area... I've been expecting it to come back as I was under the impression that transplant hair would not be lost or at least not for many years, however, you have me worried now :-S

Thx Raph. I mainly got it colored to help mask these "gaps" that I've incurred, and also help mask my thinning on the top. It seems to have achieved in helping the latter, but not so much the former, which is why I might bleach my roots, too. I also kind of like the color, too, even though it's a bit scary and somewhat bizarre to be bringing *extra* focus to your hair as being one who was so ravaged and decimated by baldness in the past.

That photo that's datemarked 04' is wrong. The camera I was using at the time had it's timestamping all messed up. The 2 pre-ops were taken 1.5-2 years ago, when I was ~22.

The pic following those two is recent, and I included to show how different a HT can look simply if you do or don't maximize your doc's efforts.

I'll be including more later that show just how radical a HT can look depending on but a few easy steps that aid -- or destroy -- the illusion that a doc's artistry is often based off of.

-----------

It's somewhat counter-intuitive, but the few products put into my hair are -- if anything -- insanely good for it. Many quality products are formulated to actually improve upon your hair and scalp, vs. the products of yester'year. Same goes for using a quality dye, too.

Also, it might seem like a lot when I type it out in detail, but the entire regiment takes well under 5minutes. What did take time was the years of constantly buying, researching, and trying out new products.

Ironically, during the period of time prior to my shed, continued thinning, and "gaps", I was using virtually zero product day2day.

-----------

Insanely good looking hairstyle, considering it's a transplant. I will have to try your styling regimen. Just curious, whereabouts do you live? I only ask because highlights and funky styles fit better in some areas than others.

Ya, cosc, I can't say for sure...but my suspicion is that *many* people who get HTs and go to the best docs could work their hair in similiar ways; if not exactly, could work their hair as to make it look a lot better than they do. Just my personal hunch, but I see a lot of HTs and just think about much better they could make it look by taking but a couple simple, easy steps.

Gotta give big props to Dr. Feller no matter what since he knew exactly how I wanted to style my hair and did the HT in such a way as to best maximize this.

I live in Connecticut, and spend a lot of time in NYC. It's a pretty solid area as a whole where I'm at for funky styles and what-not.

-----------

thanatopsis,

I think you're hair looks great my friend. Hair transplants aren't perfect and temporary shedding can sometimes make it appear thinner, especially during certain seasons. I also agree that excessive styling and coloring can cause some damage and breakage which could be contributing to some of the problems you're experiencing.

You could also be experiencing additional hair loss. That's the risk all hair loss sufferers face which is why hair restoration needs to be seen more like a journey rather than a single experience.

For now, stay on the meds and consider cutting back on any excessive styling/coloring.

All the Best,

Bill

Thx Bill. Indeed, and Dr. Feller confirmed once, I have been experiencing gradual thinning over my top.

That is so true: our hair restoration truly is a journey, and a dynamic one at that. The key is to inform yourself along the way to best deal with the hurdles as they come. And the idea behind the Coalition is so vital because it is so vital to *only* go to skilled, highly competent doctors who won't add an additional setback on top of what we all already have our hands full with: MPB.

But yes, for the time being I'm going to keep on the meds, limit using excessive product or keeping it in my hair too long, and ride things out. (though, I won't lie, I've begun mapping out potential future sessions, especially if my hairline "gaps" linger...)

-----------

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

(though, I won't lie, I've begun mapping out potential future sessions, especially if my hairline "gaps" linger...)

Any idea how many grafts you have left? Also, the hair looks good with blond highlights.

I've seen a lot of bleached hairlines that have these little dark dots still visible where the hair exits the scalp, so if you wind up going all the way, I'd be curious to see if your roots actually absorb the color. Actually, I think bleaching just kills the color. But either way, roots of transplanted hair often seem resistant. Can look a little weird, IMO.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Thx for the tip/heads up YS -- definitely a big red light if HT hair can become resistant at the roots towards coloring...good to know, for sure.

Df always helps Spex to hear of another dude who has gone through the dreaded sheds and come out the other side alright. Your main thread on sheds that I came across was of huge help as I had never truly considered the possiblity prior. My anxiety was indeed beginning to skyrocket for a bit, but it's coming back down to earth slowly but surely. icon_cool.gif

Thx Dr. F; I'll look to stop by sometime soon; would love to get your feedback on my continued thinning vs. shedding, and these hairline "gaps".

-----------

Btw...in spite of the shed, the continued thinning, the mystery gaps, etc...I'm nontheless beyond happy with where I am at all things considered. Just looking at the pre-ops here and it's pretty remarkable where I'm at. And, if/when I do demand another session I will be all the better positioned towards conquering my MPB.

Re: my donor question, I'm actually not sure how many grafts I have left. I seem to recall Dr. Feller mentioning "7k at an absolute bare minimum" the day of my procedure; I assume he meant including the 3k I had done. Even if I just have 7k I feel pretty confident. Of course, I could probably squeek out another ~1500 just from FUE, too.

-----------