1580 FU with Dr. Ron Shapiro

Bluesman

Well I am now 2 days post- op from my hairline work with Dr. Ron Shapiro and let me tell you that the whole experience was easy and even enjoyable. I arrived on Sept. 15 after almost missing my connecting flight due to a late take off of the 1st flight because of an airplane problem. I was hoping this was not a sign of things to come!

I arrived in Minneapolis and went straight to Shapiro Medical center where I first met with Matt Zupan who by the way is a terrific guy.(everybody there was terrific) We discussed my expectations and a few other things and then Dr. Shapiro came into the room. We introduced ourselves ,again discussed my expectations , talked some more while looking at results of similar cases to mine and then he started drawing a new hairline on me. Dr. Paul Rose was there and came in to introduce himself. It turns out he is a guitar collector and player same as myself. I'm a pro by the way. I am also world renowned in the vintage guitar field so we spoke quite a bit about guitars. Dr. Shapiro and I discussed some more and then said our good-byes until the following morning

Day of the procedure:

I arrive at 8:30 am and Dr. Shapiro once again does some artwork on my forehead. We the proceed to the surgury room where I am made comfortable and given my meds which consisted of 20 mg valium , some antibiotics and one more which I'm not certain but I think may have been prednisone. After taking my blood pressure , I am now given the local anesthetic and the strip excursion commences . It took less than 1 hr from the time I was given the meds and anesthetics until the strip was removed and I was completely sutured. Incidentally, Dr. Shapiro will use both staples and suturing depending on the patient. He said I would be good for either and I chose suturing. My donor strip was 14 cm by about 1 cm and was estimated that size to yield about 1200 grafts. It turned out to yield 1584 grafts!! I was extremely pleased since I knew I was getting 384 grafts for free which represents a savings of about $1700.

Dr. Shapiro remarked on how great my donor sight was and said I will never run out of donor hair no matter how I progress in the future. One of the assistant techs (I can't remember which one) also commented saying "That is going to be one strong hairline!"

We were al gabbing so much and the time was passing so quickly that I forgot to ask about watching any movies or watching television.

Lunch time came and went after which Dr. Shapiro finished up making the majority of the recipient sites. Dr.Paul Rose and Dr. Paul Shapiro (Ron's brother who is studying with Ron) both popped in every once in a while. We were all talking so much that at times they had to tell me to shut up because I was moving too much. LOL . It was only the last 1 hr or so that I found long since I never watched any movies or TV and at that point DR. Shapiro was doing the stick and place . Apparently the last hr or so is the fine tuning point and has a great effect on what the final look of a hairline will be.

It was around 5:30 pm by the time I got out of the chair and after a few minutes of gabbing and getting my post-op instructions, we all said our good-byes and I walked back to the Hilton with my friend who had accompanied me on the trip. She incidentally spent the better part of the afternoon shopping at the Mall of America and spent a small fortune!

That night we did not go out to eat and ordered room service and watched a couple of movies. I was not tired at all not did I feel any pain what so ever. There was very little bleeding for the 1st few hrs and after I changed the towel , there was none the following morning.

The next morning I decided to wash my own hair instead of waiting to go back to SMG . At around 8:30 am we went back to SMG and Dr. Shapiro inspected his artwork. He took a macro photo of 1 cm2 to calculate density and figured conservatively at around 50 units by cm2.

After about 30mins of inspecting and talking we said our good-byes and I reluctantly headed for the airport. Honestly, the whole procedure from beginning to end was so enjoyable and so easy, I would not have a second thought about doing it again if I should ever need it. ( I probably won't though.) I would highly recommend Shapiro Medical Group to anyone who is considering a procedure. I'll post some pics and I hope to put together a small website showing my new more youthful hairline as it comes in. That is going to be the hard part, trying to be patient and hoping the result meets my expectations.( I'm sure it will) Incidentally , at day 2, I have absolutely NO numbness anywhere on my scalp at all! Has anyone else ever gotten away feeling no numbness after their procedure?

Morning before surgury.

Dsc00029.jpg

Taking pics just before procedure

Dsc00030.jpg

Dsc00031.jpg

Dsc00032.jpg

Dsc00033.jpg

During surgury...

Dsc00034.jpg

Dsc00035.jpg

Just finishing...

Dsc00039.jpg

Sutured donor site (pic taken that night)

Dsc00040.jpg

Morning after.....(wet)

smgpost1.jpg

smgpost2.jpg

At the airport heading home.......

Dsc00044.jpg

closeup of hairline work 2nd day post-op befor morning wash.....

Dsc00045.jpg

[This message was edited by Bluesman on September 23, 2003 at 04:03 PM.]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am now 2 days post- op from my hairline work with Dr. Ron Shapiro and let me tell you that the whole experience was easy and even enjoyable. I arrived on Sept. 15 after almost missing my connecting flight due to a late take off of the 1st flight because of an airplane problem. I was hoping this was not a sign of things to come!

I arrived in Minneapolis and went straight to Shapiro Medical center where I first met with Matt Zupan who by the way is a terrific guy.(everybody there was terrific) We discussed my expectations and a few other things and then Dr. Shapiro came into the room. We introduced ourselves ,again discussed my expectations , talked some more while looking at results of similar cases to mine and then he started drawing a new hairline on me. Dr. Paul Rose was there and came in to introduce himself. It turns out he is a guitar collector and player same as myself. I'm a pro by the way. I am also world renowned in the vintage guitar field so we spoke quite a bit about guitars. Dr. Shapiro and I discussed some more and then said our good-byes until the following morning

Day of the procedure:

I arrive at 8:30 am and Dr. Shapiro once again does some artwork on my forehead. We the proceed to the surgury room where I am made comfortable and given my meds which consisted of 20 mg valium , some antibiotics and one more which I'm not certain but I think may have been prednisone. After taking my blood pressure , I am now given the local anesthetic and the strip excursion commences . It took less than 1 hr from the time I was given the meds and anesthetics until the strip was removed and I was completely sutured. Incidentally, Dr. Shapiro will use both staples and suturing depending on the patient. He said I would be good for either and I chose suturing. My donor strip was 14 cm by about 1 cm and was estimated that size to yield about 1200 grafts. It turned out to yield 1584 grafts!! I was extremely pleased since I knew I was getting 384 grafts for free which represents a savings of about $1700.

Dr. Shapiro remarked on how great my donor sight was and said I will never run out of donor hair no matter how I progress in the future. One of the assistant techs (I can't remember which one) also commented saying "That is going to be one strong hairline!"

We were al gabbing so much and the time was passing so quickly that I forgot to ask about watching any movies or watching television.

Lunch time came and went after which Dr. Shapiro finished up making the majority of the recipient sites. Dr.Paul Rose and Dr. Paul Shapiro (Ron's brother who is studying with Ron) both popped in every once in a while. We were all talking so much that at times they had to tell me to shut up because I was moving too much. LOL . It was only the last 1 hr or so that I found long since I never watched any movies or TV and at that point DR. Shapiro was doing the stick and place . Apparently the last hr or so is the fine tuning point and has a great effect on what the final look of a hairline will be.

It was around 5:30 pm by the time I got out of the chair and after a few minutes of gabbing and getting my post-op instructions, we all said our good-byes and I walked back to the Hilton with my friend who had accompanied me on the trip. She incidentally spent the better part of the afternoon shopping at the Mall of America and spent a small fortune!

That night we did not go out to eat and ordered room service and watched a couple of movies. I was not tired at all not did I feel any pain what so ever. There was very little bleeding for the 1st few hrs and after I changed the towel , there was none the following morning.

The next morning I decided to wash my own hair instead of waiting to go back to SMG . At around 8:30 am we went back to SMG and Dr. Shapiro inspected his artwork. He took a macro photo of 1 cm2 to calculate density and figured conservatively at around 50 units by cm2.

After about 30mins of inspecting and talking we said our good-byes and I reluctantly headed for the airport. Honestly, the whole procedure from beginning to end was so enjoyable and so easy, I would not have a second thought about doing it again if I should ever need it. ( I probably won't though.) I would highly recommend Shapiro Medical Group to anyone who is considering a procedure. I'll post some pics and I hope to put together a small website showing my new more youthful hairline as it comes in. That is going to be the hard part, trying to be patient and hoping the result meets my expectations.( I'm sure it will) Incidentally , at day 2, I have absolutely NO numbness anywhere on my scalp at all! Has anyone else ever gotten away feeling no numbness after their procedure?

Morning before surgury.

Dsc00029.jpg

Taking pics just before procedure

Dsc00030.jpg

Dsc00031.jpg

Dsc00032.jpg

Dsc00033.jpg

During surgury...

Dsc00034.jpg

Dsc00035.jpg

Just finishing...

Dsc00039.jpg

Sutured donor site (pic taken that night)

Dsc00040.jpg

Morning after.....(wet)

smgpost1.jpg

smgpost2.jpg

At the airport heading home.......

Dsc00044.jpg

closeup of hairline work 2nd day post-op befor morning wash.....

Dsc00045.jpg

[This message was edited by Bluesman on September 23, 2003 at 04:03 PM.]

Real happy for you bluesman!

I had a Ht with Charles also of Shapiro Group.

My strip was 24 cm and we only got 1500 grafts!

It was my 4th strip and my density isn't like yours you gorilla!

Well enjoy the healing process and the waiting.

I am 5 weeks out now nothing coming up yet!

bluesman,

It looks great, and I wish you the best of luck.

But ... did you really need a transplant? I mean, the old hairline looks pretty low. I don't even know where the doctor managed to put 1500 grafts.

I know - you're not 21. Your hairloss may have stabilized. And you deserve it and can afford it. So, why not?

The doc says you won't ever run out of donor. So, you're set, in case you have future hair loss.

I guess what I'm saying is: Your situation sounds too good to be true. Every time I notice my hairline getting a little higher, I say to myself "If it gets any worse, I'll seriously pursue my options". But It always looks like it's way to early to actually have a procedure, knowing that I would need a follow up in a few years.

Furthermore, does such a slight lowering of the hairline provide any noticeable improvement? I guess only time will tell.

Keep us posted.

Fantastic, Bluesman.

What a great story. Having been in the same chair I can say I agree with all you have said about SMG. Dr. Shapiro is top notch. I bet you couldn't be happier about his "artwork" at your hairline. Sounds like you got the usual red carpet treatment. And, you should be quite tickled to find from such an authority that you have a huge abundance of doner available.

Now, just be patient. The very best is yet to come. Just wait till you see the new look of all those transplanted hairs so well blended with the existing. It is a great feeling indeed.

Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Bob C

The before pics of my hairline are actualy quite flattering and don't really demonstrate how far I was receded at the temples. I could show you different angles in other shots that would not look as good. As far as where the 1580 grafts went, Dr. Shapiro reinforced inside the hairline on one side that was much weaker than the other.He covered an area of about 32cm2. Did I really need a HT? Maybe not. Do any of us NEED a HT? Probably not.It is always a question of vanity. I am a professional guitar player (You have surely heard me on record) and I have an ego which mostly all performers do. I just wanted to look the absolute best I could on stage. PS: at 48 yrs old, I'm pretty sure my hairloss has stabilized

[This message was edited by Bluesman on September 18, 2003 at 10:01 AM.]

I Agree with Bob C on this one.

Although you went to a great doctor, your hair loss appears to be EXTREMELY minimal, esp. for your what your age appears to be. You have more hair then 98% of the population at your age and probably 98% of more then even teenagers.

I feel he should have sent you home. As not an ideal candidate for transplants. But thats just my opinion, and at this point it doesnt matter.. I just wanted to express agreement with Bob C.

Either way, Good Luck & Happy Healing to you!

baldbozo : My age doesn't appear to be 48 yrs old, it is 48 yrs old. I've been told it appears much younger! Maybe that's what rock'n roll does to you! I'm probably pickled from all those years of abuse. (not any more though) I personally feel that I was an EXCELLENT candidate. 1) I'm in the public eye . 2) I have an excellent donor area. 3) fair brown hair with fairly coarse thickness and slight wave. Why should I have to endure feelings of anxiety everytime the spotlight hits me? I had the means to do something about it and I did.

bluesman:

Congrats! Thanks for sharing so many picts and for a great post on your experiences.

I think your hairline was pretty darn good but I won't dare give you crap about your decision. You gotta do what you feel is right for you.

The only thing I want to make very sure people know is that you MUST be able to live with your decision FOREVER. There is no "undo" or "do over".

You are a rocker and have a youthful look. I'd have NEVER guessed 48! That is awesome. The HT will help perpetuate that.

You were in good hands and I'm glad you had a great experience. Good luck on your journey and keep us in the loop!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Bluesman, Congratulations. Whats lost in all this conversation is the reality that a few years back your procedure may not have been adviseable because neither the technique nor the blades were refined enough. From all that I have read now however creating hairlines in a Norwood 2 or early 3 is very possible if the doctor is top notched and uses the latest techniques. I beleive that Dr Shapiro is using the lateral slit now and the incisions shown on you were obviously very small. This reduces the chance of trauma considerably. No way would I have let a guy using 18 guage needles attempt that kind of restoration on you imo. As far as what you want and how you look, thats all pretty personal stuff isn't it? I saw a new video of the one time boy rocker John Mellencamp the other night. He is going with a short brush look now and you can see in the stage light a bit of scalp coming thru. No big deal. Just the aging process. Beauty remains in the eye of the beholder. best in healing and in growth and thanks for posting your pics, WWH incidentally, I do not beleive one can assume stabilization of hair loss if your on Propecia in middle age. MPB can continue slowly thru the entire period. It has with me. I think its case by case. Then at around 65 or so there is senile hair thinning to deal with, a different phenomena but one that can effect quite a few men. There are not many givens in this arena and stabilization is a relative term. A more accurate definition is a slowing of the genetic thinning process of MPB imo. You look at somebody like a Clint Eastwood or a Paul Newman. Both men appear to have lost a ton of hair gradually between the ages of 45 and 70. Propecia may have helped arrest some of that had it been available 25 years ago but I seriously doubt it would have stopped their hair loss in its tracks at age 45. Just my opinion, all the best, WWH

Bluesman,

Thanks for posting about your ht with Dr. Shapiro.. I really appreciate the detailed and helpful information.. Please check your "private topics". I had a couple of questions regarding the procedure...Thanks..

gone today...hair tomorrow...

gone today...hair tomorrow...

Just thuoght I'd let you guys know. I'm 7 day post op and everything is great. I actually played a live concert on day 5. I did the show without a problem. As of today all the scabs are gone and quite a few of the small single hairs with them. 3 more days until my stitches come out!

hairline7daypost1.jpg

hairline7daypost2.jpg

[This message was edited by Bluesman on September 23, 2003 at 03:35 PM.]

One more thing and not that it matters but your photos show you to be right around where I was when I was 45. I'm nearly 53 now but I lost a considerable amount of hair in the front over those eight years despite being on minoxidil and then adopting Propecia. You seem to have wavy hair which is relatively thick in diameter so any loss you have had up until now is well diguised. As a performer myself I was able to disguise my thinning for many years with the same hair characteristics. You are very fortunate now however to find Shapiro at a time when very refined work can be done at your stage. That quality of work was simply not availble back in 95' to my knowledge. all the best in healing and in growth, WWH

• 2 months later...