1580 FU with Dr. Ron Shapiro

Bluesman

Any problems with shock loss or scarring or anything else??? Just wondering with having so much hair initially if the side effect are worth the extra hair!! I don't think people who have progressed a lot further give a shit about some minor set backs....All comments welcome...

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. Bluesman is back! Actually I have come in and lurked from time to time but I did a couple of shots last week and finally got the time to post them. These are indoors with no flash but in direct sunlight. Hair is wet and combed back. The new hairline is now noticable from a good ways back and there are TONS of tiny clear-white ones just coming up.

3mos3week.jpg3mos3weeks2.jpg

Shadows... If you want to carry on a conversation, please feel free to send me a private message.

[This message was edited by Bluesman on January 09, 2004 at 11:49 AM.]

lookin good! the next 5 months or so, you should see some thickening and more sprouting. you are well on your way!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi guys! Bluesman here! I haven't been on the sight for a while and thought I would stop in. Here are some shots of how I look now at 18 mos. post op with Dr. Ron Shapiro. The phots are a little dark but as soon as my camera is charged, I'll do some where there is more daylight. Overall I am pleased with the results I got but I am so vain , I am considering adding some more density to the hairline.

18mos1.JPG

18mos2.JPG

18mos3.JPG

Bluesman,

Shapiro did a great job with your hairline, could anything be more natural!? I think you have wonderful density, and hair that won't quit. Dr Shapiro did my two HT's, and he is definately an artist!

I was a bit concerned with the earlier criticisms that you had that you should not have gone through with the procedure since your hairline was not all that high to begin with. I am glad to see that you never let it get to you. Any hair loss that you experienced was already stabilized and the results of the procedure look great.

Thanks for updating your results, bluesman.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by Forum Moderator and Satisfied Patient:

I was a bit concerned with the earlier criticisms that you had that you should not have gone through with the procedure since your hairline was not all that high to begin with. I am glad to see that you never let it get to you. Any hair loss that you experienced was already stabilized and the results of the procedure look great.

Thanks for updating your results, bluesman.

-Robert

I was one of the people who questioned Bluesman's decision early on. But I in no way "criticized him. I think his HT looks great, and I wish him the best.

But I stand by all my original points. This website continually reminds us to make informed, realistic decisions about hairloss treatments.

No one "needs" a hair transplant. But those who choose to get one should be armed with information to take a calculated risk in favor of a noticable net gain.

From what we've seen and heard, Bluesman did everything right and got satisfactory results. But no one can predict his future loss - he already is contemplating more hairline work. Maybe it would have been more practical to have waited a year, and had one larger procedure.

Furthermore, no on could have guaranteed he wouldn't have major shock loss, poor growth, etc. Yes, that's the chance you take. But he DID have a magnificent head of hair to begin with.

Bluesman, again - it's your hair and your choice. And I'm happy and envious. I'm your age, and have a similar hairloss pattern (I've lost a little more, and don't have your thick, wavy characteristics). I keep looking at success stories like yours, and wondering if it could be that good for me. But this web site teaches us to be cautious and sceptical.

BobC,

Perhaps "criticisms" was kind of a harsh word. Perhaps "reservations"?

Anyway, a cautious attitude is a healthy one. We have all seen what reckless and botched hair restoration surgery can look like. It makes us all shudder to think about it.

However, there are a few physicians that I would have no reservation putting my full, unquestioning faith in and one of them is Dr. Ron Shapiro.

True, there are no guarantees in this type of surgery, but Dr. Shapiro's track record of great results speak volumes. I do not think that he woul have performed the procedure if there was more than the slimmest of chances that a substantial amount of shockloss could have occurred.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by EastCoast:

I don't understand how any ethical HT Surgeon. would claim you have unlimited donor hair no matter how far you progress. Seems odd.

Maybe I am missing something that you are referring to in one of the earlier posts, but I do not quite get what you are saying, Eastcoast.

-Robert

EastCoast,

I'm sure Dr Shapiro was simply telling him that, based upon his very thick donar hair, that he would have plenty of donor hair for future transplants even if his hairline loss progressed. We don't know "exactly" what was said and under what circumstances. Doc may have been making a general comment about his situation. I know Doc was very candid about my hairloss and the amount of my donor hair. You won't find anyone more conservative when it comes to future requirements then Dr Shapiro.

Hi Bluesman,

I remember a few of your posts back in 2003, and I must say that the current pics you just submitted this month in March are absolutely awesome!! Everything has filled in very nicely!

Just curious why you want to add more to the hairline. Are you trying to lower it a tad, or are you going for more density and definition?

Dr. Shapiro was my first HT surgeon which was back in 1996 and my hairline came out so natural that my ex-wife thought my hairline was just growing back, and so did a few others as I kept it very secret. I was a Hair Club for Men client before that.

I am 50 years old and had a total of three procedures. I do not know how old you are but your recent pics show your full face and for whatever it's worth, I think the density looks great right now. Once I hit over 40 yrs old, I wanted to be careful not to add too much in the front because I felt that would start to look a little unnatural for my age. But that's me, not necessarily your thoughts.

The younger one is, the more critical it is to save donor for any future loss. Also, I have seen men in their late fourties and so begin to lose hair which seemed to be more evident in the crown. Is there any of that in your family history? I do not remember if you are on Propecia or not. From what I recall there is not extensive hairloss for you but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Hey, I saw that you are a guitarist so with a handle like the "Bluesman", you no longer have to sing the blues regarding hairloss! Best wishes to you.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Dr. Shapiro remarked on how great my donor sight was and said I will never run out of donor hair no matter how I progress in the future. One of the assistant techs (I can't remember which one) also commented saying "That is going to be one strong hairline!"

Show me a nw 6 or 7 with the illusion of density. Who has unlimited donor hair?

Dr. Shapiro said I wouldn't run out of donor hair and I surmise he meant for someone of my age (50) with the amount of loss I have experienced, should have enough donor hair to keep up with any future loss.He never said I have "unlimited" donor hair, he said I wouldn't run out of it. Yes I am taking finasteride.

Sounds like you have an ideal situation with a good long-term prognosis!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 3 years later...

I'mmmmm baaack! It's been almost 5 years since I had my prodedure and it has been holding out quite well! There has been some thinning in the hairline area that was worked on but all in all it has held up quite well for a one time stand alone procedure. Here are a couple of pics that were taken in february.

Picture5yrs1.jpg

Picture5yrs2.jpg

Bluesman,

By the date of your registration, I see that you are a long time member and hair transplant patient from some time ago. Well firstly, welcome back icon_smile.gif.

Secondly, I just went back to the first page of this thread to see your original photos. You had a good amount of hair before surgery, but your result looks great!

I encourage you to stick around and participate in our discussions and share your expertise icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill