Other Hair Loss websites and forums how do they compare to this one????

nm315

this website is really great.. the idea of "coalition doc" is truly good..

i know there are other forums like http://www.hairlosshelp.com..

am happy here.. but i was wondering whether i am missing anything by stick8ing only here???..

and have high inertia that i feel really lazy to extend my research beyond this site..

pat's and Bill words are prophetic..hmmm...

so guys what other websites are there???.. and good and bad stuff in them...

sorry for poor english am not native english speaker...

do a google search on hairloss forums and judge them for yourself.

the more research you do should enable you to make the right choices,dont be lazy.

i choose to post on here and hlh but read many other forums

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Only you can be the judge, of course; but, if I were to do a competitive analysis of this site with others I don't think there would be much disagreement. Bottom line (from my experiences) -- you get the least B.S. here, as there is the highest quotient of valid information and even keeled temperment. It's also a rather "conservative" site; by that I mean it is very critical of unorthodox/unproven methods, very strict standards for who is/isn't an HT candidate, and a discriminating eye for doctors/procedures.

Hair Loss Talk, e.g., (and other forums) have nuggets of solid information and perspective to be found; however, by and large they can be a bit like a zoo w/o cages and often bear greater resemblence to a soap opera or talk show than a hair loss community.

Different forums for different folks.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

mm315,

There are a number of hair loss websites that can be used as valuable resource tools. Using google or another search engine will lead you to them.

I have used a number of them in my research especially in the beginning of my hair restoration journey.

This forum community however, became my home away from home or more accurately "within my home" due to the number of sincere members who walked along side of me faithfully during my hair restoration journey.

Best wishes,

Bill

There are other forums out there which can be very helpful...........if not only for the fact that you can see tons of before/after work from many, many different Docs.

I suppose I started here so many that's why I gravitate to it............also, I feel like this site is very credible and eithical and I believe the same about Pat and Bill and fully support it.

Some other sites seem to get pretty far out there with what is working or not working to combat hair loss (outside of getting a HT)..........just IMO.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hairbank,

u said it.. its just googling which brot me to this site.. i remember i had hit dr. bernstein site first.. the coalition doc's emblem he has on his site.. and the link lead me here.. and am so glad i found it..

and yes as u said.. i have also landed here first and have become so used to it(tho i dont post much)..

thanatopsis_awry,

u r right abt this site being conservative.. sets the expecation rt for everyone..

Bill,

keep up the great work... thanks for all the time u give us....

One difference that iv noticed about this forum is that it tells you the plain truth no bullshit. The other forums seem very intent on suggesting natual methods that dont work.

If you want real and honist advice this is your forum

I think to use all of the websites is a good thing. The difference in this website in my mind is the organization and user-friendliness. In addition, there are many people on here who really care and sincerely look out for a person's best interest without having a hidden agenda. If there was someone like that to appear, the vets usually confront them and do what is required. Lastly, there are vets on here like Bill, Pat, Bushy, Bobman, and myself who have been though multiple surgeries who can provide first hand expereince on what to expect. However, let the web browser determine for themselves which is the best place.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

i found hairlosshelp first and have been a regular contributor there. however, after a while the posts and topics get stale, people keep picking the same fights, and branching out helps you find other patients/doctors and cases. so, this has become the second place i post and research. as far as i can tell, these are the two most visited forums...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I visit 5 sites regularly and post frequently on three.

There are pros and cons to each, but each helps others find a good doc for the most part.

It is good to get information from all sources, (IMHO)

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I can't speak about any of the other forums or online resources but I know for a fact that the publisher (Pat) and moderator of this forum are genuine and always keep the best interests of the hair loss sufferers in mind.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Honestly HLH appears to be the most genuine of the hair loss sites. People can post about products, just about any doctor, shit talk a bit and so on. I even find myself laughing quite a bit on that site which is a nice distraction from the balding process.

Hair Loss Talk seems to be more of a site for realy young guys at the first stage of panic.

Not alot of meat on the site.

This site seems to be a bit too guarded which in my opinion keeps many away. Really dry with little humor.

Not being able to really talk about certain products and doctors seems counter productive in my opinion. I do appreicate the photo history Pat has put togeter on this site though.

Now watch me get banned for my honesty. lol

I'm a "newbie" to all of these hairloss sites and am in the process of now checking out the HLH site (thanks for the above reference) for the first time tonight.

Although I have found this forum/web site contains a lot of good information, in my opinion, it also seems to be very biased. As a new member, I posted an innocent inquiry about other's experiences with a particular surgeon (out of "the surgeon network" this forum "advertises") I was researching and received nothing but nasty messages and threats of being banned. Like you "Byehair", after this honest post, I will probably be banned now too. icon_confused.gif

Thus, I plan on investigating the other forums to see if they are helpful to a person such as me seeking information/input on a potential first hair transplant and the best surgeons to perform such as procedure. As "the B spot" stated above, it appears that the best amount of research will come from a combination of these sites/forums in order to get as much honest and unbiased information as possible.

The thing I have noticed in both forums thus far is that there are a lot of posts that are a number of years old. I think this is a strong indication to the quality of information these sites have provided folks over the years. However, since I'm assuming that hair transplant technology changes quite rapidly (and that not all surgeons nececssarily keep up with teh latest techniques), it appears that paying particular attention to how old the post is critical in trying to determine if the information is still valid today...or if it is worthwhile to inquire an "update" from the various resident experts on these forums. So far, I haven't determined which of the forums is "more active"...implying that one may have more recent information on techniques, surgeons, success/failure stories, etc. than the other.

Good luck "nm315". As a "newbie" to these forums, I'm quickly getting "information overload" from all of the great information on these two forums. Thus, it appears that it is going to take me a while to "digest" everything in order to determine if I have the courage to proceed with getting a transplant...or if I end up "chickening out" and instead spend the money I have allocated for a potential transplant on a baseball cap collection. icon_smile.gif

hi getfuzzy

the mistake you made was not reading the posting conditions re links which is easily done so i wouldn`t worry too much,you know now.

try and post some pictures so people can see what your hairloss is like and you will get an honest opinion.

like most forums certain docs get more recomendations than others and you will need to keep researching and try to get a few consults with docs to see what is best for you

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Byehair and GetFuzzy,

Neither of you are going to be banned for sharing your opinions so I'm not sure where you are getting your views from.

The Hair Transplant Network, Hair Loss Help, Hair Loss Talk, and a number of other hair loss websites are valuable resources for seeking hair loss sufferers.

I started out in the same boat you all are and I am thankful for communities such as these that exist for the purpose of educating hair transplant patients.

Whether or not this site or another is your favorite is another story - we all have our particulars and are drawn different places. That's just the way it is and that's ok.

Cheers,

Bill

Hey Fuzzy,

I hear ya! There has so many times where Bill comes back and gives the standard line

"I apologize for coming across so strong....."

Good luck with all the hair sites, and hopefully you can learn a little bit from each.

Bill

I am sorry you feel like I am mocking you. I am not.

I am merely stating a fact that on many occasions you have came across (in my opinion) in an almost bullying manner only to follow up with an apology.

I was only making a point to Fuzzy that this is what is to be expected from time to time on this forum. Since he is a newbie.

I have no problem with you and I do enjoy reading this forum from time to time.

Byehair,

Ok, apology accepted.

Though there are probably a handful of times in my life that I came across unnecessarily harsh and truthfully. If you read my original post to Getfuzzy - I used the standard lingo that I use for all that I suspect of spamming our site.

Either way - look at the bright side. At least i am willing to admit when I'm wrong, hence the occasional need to apologize. Welcome to humanity icon_smile.gif

Bill

One other reason that this is likely my favorite of Hair Loss sites.....

During my stay here, if a person frequents the site and says "hey, this is the latest and greatest in hair loss prevention or restoration".........we ask the claim to be proven. On some sites, it seems that there are so many tangents and people willing to rub most anything on their scalps to "try" and regrow hair. To me, until something is proven to work (like Finasteride, Duasteride and Minoxidil), I can't encourage folks to use that particular product.

I just like sticking with what is proven to work. IMO, at this point, for loss prevention and some regrowth that is Finasteride, Duasteride and Minoxidil...........or for restoration some form of HT whether it be STRIP, FUE or some similar method.

As for some of the comments on this thread about the site being conservative or maybe not as fun.........I guess we disagree. I think we help point out what is proven to work, no more no less............and if you need a good laugh all you need to do is click on my hair loss weblog and look at my pre-ht pics icon_wink.gif!

Bill's been doing a great job moderating here, has a heart for hair loss and genuinely is just out to help people. Anyone who has followed his posts at all should know this. I have no idea how anyone would think he seems to come across harshly then always apologizes for jumping the gun. Crap, I've done the same thing when I suspect a shill........we all do.

Moderating a site like this is very difficult. Many different personalities and varying opinions..................trying to see both sides and keep the mudslinging to a minimum. I for one praise Bill for the job he does here..........I don't think I could do it!

Peace,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.