Latinlotus HT with dr. Cooley 2097 grafts

latinlotus

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

A great mystery had been solved! (at least for me anyway). Lots of HT patients notice that one side has more growth or grow better than the other. Some of this can be explained by the better healing of one side vs the other, or maybe the skill of the planting technicians.

Dr. Cooley just gave me an answer that greatly explains why my right temple has more growth than my left temple. Like most baldies, i have one side that has a larger bald area, in this case, my right temple. Since more grafts were planted in the right temple, it only makes sense that there are more growths in that area.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

• 3 weeks later...

5 month mark:

I am attempting to step out of the doldrum, not there yet. The temples thicken up and the transplanted hair get darker and longer compared with 4 month mark. The hairline is getting more and more defined, but is still very thin. I had more regrowths in the past month, tiny velus hairs, mostly hard to see. On the positive side, I am pleased with the hairline design and hairs angulation. In fact, it is very difficult to distinguish between the native hair from the transplanted hairs. Thus the result so far is very natural.

Coming in the HT, i had 4 concerns:

1) Not having any regrowth - is no longer a concern;

2) Having permanent donor/recipient site shockloss: no longer a concern;

3) A bad scar: no longer a concern;

4) Whether i will have the result up to my satisfaction: it is still yet to be seen.

Although I wished my progress to be faster, and the doldrum is never easy, I am satisfied with the development so far, considering that i should have many more months of improvement. Wish me luck.

Please check my weblog for 5 month pics.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Best of luck to you LL. Looking great at 5month mark. Your documentation couldn't be better.

You can definitely see the new growth...which is exciting I know!!

Slow growing sucks, but know that it will come in a little more time. You have rounded the corner and only mucho more hair will grow and thicken from now on.

I am excited to see what the next month brings!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Perfectly on track, man; lots of positives already, and you're entering the stretch where the gravy starts flowin'! You deserved a primo HT and yer getting one!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks all for the encouragement. At this point, I am definitely not an early grower, however, hopefully the end result will turn out to be ok.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

latinlotus,

I saw more growth between the 7 - 9 month mark, and even noticed quite a bit from 9-12, so you've still got a ways to go. And my scar got better too, around the 6 month mark.

I don't know if doctor selection has anything to do with it, but I've followed some Cooley patients who also had more growth in the later stages. Maybe a coincidence, I don't know.

Anyhow, hang in there and in about three months you'll wake up like it happened overnight, if you have a similar experience.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by latinlotus:

hopefully the end result will turn out to be ok.

Early growers do not indicate they'll get better end results. Hard to say what makes one patient achieve majority of growth by 8-9 months while others at 13-14 months post op.

• 3 weeks later...

Month 6 update: please see my weblog for news pics.

A few new growths (that i was able to notice) since last month, but not a lot. The change is mostly due to the thickening of the already grown transplanted hairs. I still see many hairs that are currently very fine and very hard to see in the picture but looking forward for the thickening of those hairs. At this point, when compared to my day 2 post-op pics, I am guessing that anywhere between 60% to 80% of the transplanted grafts grew.

Note that when I look in the mirror, the result does not look as thin as in the pics. Unless under bright light, the result so far is very encouraging. I am obviously did not reach a satisfactory final result yet, but a huge difference compared to pre HT. I am optimistic with the thickening in the upcoming months.

I also added some pics of my back, right after a haircut. This is my normal length pre HT. The scar is well hidden even at this length (i think clip 3).

I am going to take a break from the forum for the summer and stop looking in the mirror. I will post my progress in about 2 months.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Hi LatinLotus,

You are coming along nicely - and kind to document your progress.

I think you may understand now, why it is so hard for some of us who been thru this before to keep such good documentation of our HT. It is a long slow process with continous change. I would say views at 6 month intervals is a better estimator of progress.

You will do just fine, best wishes.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

• 2 months later...

My month 8 results had been post on my weblog. Please check it out.

I have achieved cosmetic improvement, but still hoping for more density. I obviously don't feel as bald as before and depending on the lighting, i can sometimes forget that i had HT or that i needed an HT. However, under harsh light, the temples are still thin and need more density.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Subtle, but definite cosmetic improvement. I can see what you mean about the lack of density though; I understand this very well since I have fine hair.

I don't think anyone can guarantee that "MUCH MORE THICKENING IS TO COME!!", but you'll probably see improvement. At least the hairline zone looks soft, even if not super dense. Do you have any close-up shots?

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

I think you look improved, for sure, and it looks totally natural and pleasing. Right on target, IMO.

I agree that additional thickening would be nice and should prolly be expected, though it can't be guaranteed. I think over the next 4months you'll see density gains in the temple regions, which will round things out.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

At this point, I doubt there will be much new growths coming up. And if there are new growths, it will be almost impossible to see at the naked eyes. I did notice a couple pimples last week, which resulted in new hairs.

I do, however, expect and hope for more thickening to come.

In term of naturalness, I am very pleased with the result. Even for me, i can't distinguish between native and transplanted hairs.

I attached some additional close up pics. Note that the first row at the hairline has only some sprinkle of hairs in order to create a soft natural hairline.

close_up_left.JPG.d3e77dd2de1670dab7d6259cff87f90a.JPG

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Latinlotus,

It's great to see you back in action on the forum sharing your progress and your acquired wisdom with others in the community :-).

Your hair is really coming along nicely. I expect there will be continued thickening for the next several months. However, your hair already looks significantly improved and very natural looking. Congrats! You certainly deserve it.

Bill

Azn and Bill: thanks for best wishes. Summer months allow for more activities than just posting on HTN. Will post more updates in the fall.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs