At what age does hairloss generally stabilize?

As an older guy I can tell you that hairloss does not necessarily stabilize @ 35 or 40. I continued to loose hair through my 40's.

Actually I had my most devestaing hair loss in my 40"s.

Every one is different & thier hairloss is unique. There is not any particular age when hairloss stabilizes. It's all in the genes.

Let me just back up my "Not True" Statement by telling you that my MPB began in my early 20's & slowly progressed until my mid to late 30's. Then my hairloss accelerated very quickly through my fourties leaving me a NW6+.

Now at soon to be 52 years old my already bald crown is deteriorating down & outwards.

I don't want to destroy anyones hope but I do want to correct any myths going around such as MPB slows down at a certain age. While that may be true for some people it is not something that is a fact for all MPB sufferers.

My grandfather is now 83, sadly he has dementia and has been in a nursing home for some years now.

Anyway, at this present time he has a strip of hair around an inch wide, but in a photo at my parents' house taken on his 60th birthday I would've classed him as a NW VI. So since his 60th birthday 23 years ago he has had continued loss (though, I'm uncertain when it stopped, if it has).

My dad, no hairloss drugs as far as I know, lost steadily until he arrived safety in NW 6 land by 35, and then then a steady and slow loss to NW 7 by about 55-60.

I lostt aggresively to 25(nw3), then stabilized to about 40 and then plunged again, but during the latter two stages I messed with minox, a short burst with avodart, and have been on generic fin, (Fincar) for three years. It's an interesting question and from my experience I don't think I would assume that the loss tapers off

Lastchance,

I was on propecia for a short time not long enough to see any benefits but long enough to develop sides.

For me it isn't worth taking propecia daily fort he rest of my life. and that would be the commitment I would half to make with the possibility of no benefits for a NW6+.

Julius,

I believe it depends on what degree of MPB a person will eventually become.

Actually from my observations I believe that hairloss doe's accelerate with age in men who will eventually become a NW 6+.

In a NW 3, 4 or even 5 obviously the hairloss will taper off & stabilize at some point.

• Moderators

My dad had a totally full head of hair well into his 50s. It's been slowly thinning since then. He's in his late 70s now and still thinning out in a diffuse pattern all over, so I don't think there's any age range or number of years where thinning will occur.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

As everyone has already stated, there is no way to determine when hairloss stabilizes. The only way to guesstimate is to look at your family history, and that can be tricky and inconclusive because of so many variables.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Atomic:

As an older guy I can tell you that hairloss does not necessarily stabilize @ 35 or 40. I continued to loose hair through my 40's.

Actually I had my most devestaing hair loss in my 40"s.

Every one is different & thier hairloss is unique. There is not any particular age when hairloss stabilizes. It's all in the genes.

You are right atomic, that's what i think as well because each of us has different type of hair losses. And besides it is on our genes as well. It doesn't necessarily follows an age pattern of when it is going to stabilize.

While it is true that the rate of balding is determined by the genes, I also believe that many environmental factors contribute to hair loss rates in modern men. I mean, my granddad started balding in the 50's (when the times were much simpler and the air was clean) when he was in his 30's and went totally bald (NW6) by the 80's (30-40 years of progressive balding). I assume that in the modern day, with all the modern pollutants that we have around now, I would go bald in just like 20 years or so.