Slow Growth - Please Advise

jbsf

Hi jbsf----

This is not the first time I have heard of slow growth by a patient of Dr. Deyarman-----

I do think that in each case, a resolution was reached.

Dr. Deyarman has a reputation for being a great guy and a Dr. who is willing to work through any difficulties that arise.

However, if indeed you are at the 7 month mark, I am going to contact Pat, the site administrator.

I will advise him of your post, so that he can offer some advice and should you choose help you with any problems.

I would rather that, than to start a lengthy debate that does not help you out.

Please let us know how this works out.

Talk to you later,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

jbsf,

Welcome to the forums. It does indeed seem a bit odd that you have experienced very little growth by 7 months, but it's definitely possible. I'm glad B Spot is contacting Pat...perhaps he'll be able to give you some advice as well, or at least contact Dr. DeYarman on your behalf to find out more specifics. Hang in there man...I have seen a few people in my time be extremely late bloomers. Perhaps that is just the case for you!

Bill

• Administrators

jbsf,

Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing your experience with a blog. Looking at your initial photos after surgery looked encouraging. You had considerable coverage, including temporal reconstruction with a promising looking pattern (although I do question why the incisions did not blend further into your existing hair in your temples).

I can understand your frustration at not having any real growth at 6 to 7 months after surgery. Most patient do see the start of new hair growth by month four or five. But some are also late bloomers.

At this point we can only hope and wait. Please keep us all posted in the coming weeks. I hope that you are simply experiencing an extended dormant stage and that you will see rapid growth in the coming months.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

The boss man has spoken. Lets hope that in a short period you are showing some major signs of growth. I have no doubt that you are just a late bloomer. Give it time and best of luck. Please keep us posted as it is great for us all to have different references and time frames to discuss with others.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Jbsf..

Are you using Rogaine or any other topical hair treatment? I'm not certain if this will help for you but I did see a nice spike in activity when I started using Rogaine. I'd say about 3 months after my surgery. Maybe it helped maybe it didnt but I guess it couldn't hurt to try if your not already on it. Some folks on here are using the foam which is suppose to be easier on the scalp but I just use regular 5%. Good luck bud.

Hi

A little patience. Sometimes it happens so gradual that it is difficult to detect.. On my first HT I really didn't notice a difference until I saw pics during my 2nd procedure. Also, different people grow at different rates, give it some more time

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

all you can do is wait and then wait some more. As much as it sucks this is the only thing left. No doctor can do anything either...short of a new HT.

While most see noticeable results by 6-7 months, as other have said, some are late bloomers. Lets hope that you are one of them.

Originally posted by jbsf:

Hello -

I had 2000 grafts transplanted by Dr. DeYarman. I am very worried as my transplants are growing very, very slow; if at all. Mostly, I don't have much growing and I'm looking for some hope. Does it just take a long time to notice anything?

Thanks!

jb-

Hang in there.......at 7 months I'm very surprised you haven't really seen anything. Hopefully you are a very late bloomer. Please post monthly updates so we can follow the progress with you.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Seem like a very long time without any substantial growth to me. I am at just over 3 months and quite a bit is coming in. Has your doctor taken a look or given you a reason why. Perhaps you should consider using Rogaine, my doctor recommened I use it to help the grafts come in sooner. I hope all works out well for you.

• 4 weeks later...

jbsf

Wait 18months before you make another move in regards to HT. That way you can make sure nothing in your physiology has stopping your transplant from being successful, also if you have no improvement from now till 12months then yes I would majorly want to kick Dr.Y in the @ss. Not that this helps too much, but I know of another patient of his that went to get another HT a year after Dr.Y and did not have good things to say about him at all. I may be dead wrong but I have read a few unhappy customers of his on hlh forum. Hang in their bro your post op pics looked Ok you seem to have healed really well in your one week PO pics (question how soon did your grafts all fall out?). Round about way of saying we are pulling for you, wait 12months hopefully you will see a delayed major boom of growth.....if not I don't recommend going back to your doctor for a touch up....go to a proven Doc (shoot compare that many grafts in the hands of Dr.Alexander in Arizona not to far from S.Cali and poof outside of a physiological hiccup you would have much better results IMO).

Stay up hair loss brother and good luck.

Well at 8 months, I think I would be concerned.

Your growth is sparse and this far along, I think calling this "slow growth" is a real stretch----- Generally speaking those I would classify as "slow growers" have realized perhaps 30-50% of their transplants by 8 months.

So, in the interim--- let's give your growth 1 more month and because you have taken very timelined photos we will be able to see if any difference exists from month 8 to 9. One month can make a HUGE difference, which is why I advised you to wait in mid-Feb.

However, we are rapidly moving past the point of no return.

I am sending this thread back for Pat to review this to see if a solution can be reached.

I would like for Pat to review Dr. DeYarman's Coalition Membership.

If indeed this is another case of poor growth or yield, then perhaps we should discuss our alternatives.

jbsf, we are here to help you resolve this issue. Stay positive and keep your cool. Pat will help you receive any remuneration you are entitled to. Do not rush to any decisions and lets just weigh your options during this time.

I am sorry that your experience has not been postive, but hopefully things will work themselves out.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

jbsf,

On a bright note, there does seem to be some progress (unless the pictures are deceiving me) between the 7th and 8th month, though I do admit, it is a bit odd that you've only had very little regrowth at this point. The only thing you can do, however, at this point is wait it out. You should give your HT at least a year before doing any kind of evaluation on it. However, I'd express your concerns to your doctor to see what he says.

We are on your side here and hope we can help support and advise you through this. The best thing you can do is stay positive and be patient. I HAVE seen a few (not many but a few) other people in your predicament, and the hair did eventually grow. I can't predict what will happen for you, but I do know that your situation has come about before. Give it at least 4 more months before considering taking any kind of action.

Bill

Originally posted by jbsf:

Earlier Orion asked if I'm usig Rogaine. I did purchase some, but the package insert stated that when I stop using the Rogaine that any new hair grown will fall out. Does this mean if I use it for my transplanted hair and then stop my new hair will fall out?

No worries here; hair that's been transplanted is resistant to DHT and will not fall out if you discontinue rogaine. However, any hair that grows on its own, not via a transplant, will shed if you stop using it. Hope that clears it up.

• Administrators

Jbsf,

In my opinion, at 8 months post op, you have ample reason to be concerned about your lack of growth. In publishing the Hair Transplant Network and this forum for over six years such poor growth has very rarely been reported on this forum or in private emails to me when a patient went to a leading hair transplant physician.

In my opinion, based on years of patient feedback and input from leading hair transplant physicians, poor growth is normally the result of poor graft handling and quality control issues rather than the patient's unique physiology.

Grafts, especially small grafts, are very delicate and can be damaged during the cutting process, by dehydration, being out of the body too long, by mishandling and trauma during placing etc. Thus the experience and skill of the medical technicians is critical to the ultimate success of the surgery.

Performing large cases of ultra refined follicular unit grafts is even more demanding of the physician and staff than standard follicular unit grafting. Thus a clinic has to have a crack staff and true mastery to perform it successfully.

In the past one physician failed to achieve a reasonable growth rate with two patients and this physician was removed from the Coalition.

Dr. DeYarman has been recommended on the Hair Transplant Network for over four years and is currently a member of the Coalition. During this time he has gotten many favorable comments and there are over 12 pages of search results referencing his name on this forum.

However, many of these posts and their photo albums report a positive surgical experience but do not report their final result. Tonight I emailed well over a dozen of these patients of Dr. DeYarman to ask them about their final results and their level of satisfaction.

So far I have gotten one email back and this person who has over 250 posts on this forum reported that after two procedures with Dr. DeYarman that he was very satisfied and that Dr. DeYarman was "scrupulously honest".

In addition to Jbsf, during the past four plus years there is one other patient who posted as "Spock" who reported mediocre growth with Dr. DeYarman as well as dissatisfaction with his donor closure and healing. Spock later went to a non Coalition physician and did 1550 FUE & 580 BHT/FIT grafts and reported that he was disappointed with those results as well. Spock also commented more recently that "I think my physiology is the primary cause of my disappointment in the results." I do not necessarily agree with this belief.

I also visited the HLH forum and after using its search function I found very few posts referencing Dr. DeYarman and only posts from Spock that gave feedback about Dr. DeYarman.

The actual results reported by patients to me privately and on this forum weigh heavily on whether a physician is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network and or a member of the Coalition.

I have sent Dr. DeYarman a message regarding this situation and this topic. I think it is only fair to give him a chance to respond to his patient and remedy his situation before a final determination is made regarding his status with this community.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Jbsf,

Sorry to hear things aren't progressing for you at this point. There's no question that you should be seeing much more than you've seen.

I'll be anxious to hear Dr DeYarman's comments regarding your case.

Hang in there,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Administrators

While I appreciate Dr. DeYarman's willingness to provide jbsf with a free surgery if he does not have adequate growth by 12 months, I do not at present have the confidence in the DeYarman Medical Group to continue their recommendation on this community or their Coalition membership. Therefore effective immediately I have regrettably suspended their recommendation and Coalition membership.

Perhaps in time Dr. DeYarman and his staff can re-establish the confidence needed to again be recommended on this community. But for now I feel that in good conscious I must error on the side of caution and discontinue their recommendation and Coalition membership.

My Hair Loss Blog

Thank you for providing this update as to Dr.DeYarman's status, duly noted.

Your attentiveness in this matter certainly solidifies the intentions of this forum, to inform and protect the consumer. If feel confident in the knowledge that if I were to have a problem with any coalition doctor, I would have the full backing of this forum in obtaining a resolution. I applaud your actions as I am sure other members do.

I certainly hope the doctor will continue to make good on his offer despite no longer being a member of this coalition.

I do appreciate Dr. DeYarman's post and willingness to help jbsf. At the same time, I agree with Pat's decision to remove him from the Coalition at this time. From the looks of things, this patient has barely any growth. Before recommending Dr. DeYarman to anyone frequenting HTN, I would want to understand why this occurred.

Tough decision, but I commend Pat for keeping this site's integrity, and the integrity of our recommended Coalition Surgeons, number 1!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog