Staples or sutures?

Originally posted by Dr. Alan Feller:

Staples, by far.

Doc,

What do you think of dissolvable sutures? What is the primary advantage of staples? More rapid healing, thinner scar, etc.

Thanks.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Go with the doctor's advice assuming you trust him enough to do the hair case. I have posted lots of threads on this issue regarding staples. You can see from a few threads up that Dr. Feller, who trained me, uses staples. My calculations over the past 8 years are that I have put in over 300,000 sutures doing facelifts, and I feel VERY comfortable with sutures. So I use sutures about 70-75% of the time, only because of the way the scalp lies together for me.

If done by a skilled surgeon, either should result in a fine result. If done by a hack, both will result in poor outcomes. And sometimes scars just don't do well in some folks no matter how well its done by whatever doctor. Fortunately that is uncommon.

Ask your doctor what he prefers and why and if it sounds reasonable to you, it probably is going to be fine.

Dr. Lindsey RESTON VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dakota......staples may be expedient for the doctor but sutures consistently create a finer scar...i agree with Dr. Lindsay, in capable hands you should expect a nice result with either method but if your a perfectionist sutures are probably the best bet.

VP Patient & Media Relations for The Hair Loss Doctors by Robert J. Dorin 

orangehair,

I know that Dr. True uses sutures so I can understand why you are saying that. But in your opinion, why do you feel that staples don't create as fine of a scar?

I've personally seen undetectable scars using both methods, and not so good scars using both as well.

Bill

i've had both: sutures in the hands of a hack doc, staples in the hands of a top doc. as far as comfort goes i'd say they were the same, staples did hurt more coming out. haven't really noticed if one is finer than the other although i had tricho closure on the stapled ht and i suspect it will look super thin....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com