Dr. Umar -18,745 graft SFET surgery completed

Mine was basically $ 5 per graft. So compared to the market place I felt OK with the price. The last 3,745 grafts, that went above our originally planned 15,000 grafts, were $ 4.5 per graft.

I think the prices may get more competive as different doctors enter the ring.

But as you said, the real test will be if everything grows.

On the other hand, if this process ever get perfected and somewhat guaranteed, then the price may go way up. Only time will tell.

There was no guarantee. I don't know if anyone is going to give any gaurantees with these procedures. But the doctors do put their reputations out there. I am hoping that more than 50 % grow :-)

So, please keep your fingers crossed!

Nick Cage, icon_smile.gif

We are all rootin for you pal. This is some exciting stuff. The further we can progress with advancements such as these the better.

What kind of things are you doing to try and make sure that you do have a high growth rate?? Are you taking meds, laser, MSM, special shampoos, etc. People think I'm nuts but I have an inversion table which also increases blood flow. Hell for the amount of money that you spent, I would be doing just about anything. My point is, you should be atleast doing something.

As mentioned earlier, I hope you stick with this forum long enough for us to document your changes and see the final results. It seems rare to ever have a BHT candidate show detailed pictures of his journey so the assumption for many of us is that there wasn't adequate growth. This is unfortunate if indeed the surgery was successful.

Best of luck and do all that is right to make this a success.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hello NN,

I would be very thankful for any suggestions on how to help the success rate.

Is there anything I should be eating - or not eating and so on and so on.

I would like to learn about this inversion table if you are willing.

Are there any supplements that are good or bad.

As far as shampoos. Baby shampoo was suggested just because it was low in chemicals. The idea being not that this shampoo would help with the growth rate, but at least it shouldn't hurt it. Any ideas ? Are there any shampoos that may help the growth rate.

I have been using a cotton ball and dabbing prescription minoxidil all over my head once in the morning and once in the evening. I go through the stuff fast since it is my entire scalp.

Apparently there is a debate about whether some products that work for head hair growth work are damaging for body hair growth on the scalp. Of course, I am trying to get scalp, beard, and body hair to grow all at the same time. I certainly am not smart enough to know. But I won't put anything on my head without double checking and triple checking. Hopefully, there is some magic with this prescription minoxidil.

It was suggested to use this prescription at least 4 months.

It was suggested no hair coloring for at least a year, preferably a year and half. Just in general, I should stay away from anything that may cause damage. Too big of a procedure to take any risk. Of course, any procedure is too big to take any risk!

I am open to ideas as crazy as they may sound.

I have heard satin pillow sheets help with rubbing on the head.

And to wear hats as little as possible.

But my understanding is that if I can make it past the three week mark without a disaster then wearing a hat is probably OK as long as I am careful.

For the short term, I have been spraying distilled water on my head as often as possible throughout the day to get the scabbing to go down.

It has been about a week and the scabbing is greatly reduced, but it still has a way to go.

The very first day of the procedure some of the blood had not quite dried on my head. I didn't realize it though. And I wore a bandana and ripped some of my hairs right out of my head because the bandana got stuck to the blood that wasn't quite dry. It wasn't a huge disaster, but it was a lessons learned that I never forgot.

If nothing else, this will be one huge test case for BHT for others to learn from. The hope is that mixing the scalp, beard, and body hair may have good results. Since I don't have enough scalp donor to do much good by itself.

In general, I have seen some results on the net that didn't look great so there is risk with BHT.

From a BHT perspective; Heliboy, Taz and others seem to be doing very well. So I am just hoping for the best and I am trying to be as careful as possible.

In general, if the BHT option can be perfected then the sky is the limit for everyone.

It certainly is not perfected yet, but we should learn new things with each case.

I think a short hair cut is probably to be expected with a BHT case so patients need to be aware of that.

Keep on doing the spray for sure, as that helped alot in my case. The rest is just a waiting game, and it will seem like forever but very soon, the hairs will start growing. It is a great feeling to see those little guys growing on your scalp! icon_smile.gif

Dr. Umar prescribed a PE Minoxidil for me to use while in the early stages. Other than the stuff he gave me to help heal the extraction points, that is all I've used. I just switched from that to the Minoxidil foam for the last month or so.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Taz,

Thanks for the reply and the information.

By the way, I have been watching your results and they look great.

We are all in this together.

N. Cage,

It sounds to me like you are doing everything that you should be doing.

Msm is known to help with speeding up the growth phase but usually it is a waiting game irregardless. Shen min Vitalize shampoo is a very safe nonchemical shampoo that is awesome. You can actually feel a tingling sensation on the scalp. The inversion table helps my back but the tingling in the scalp when inverted clearly tells me the blood is flowing better with it. My own personal experiment with it is that it has decreased the hairloss and I have a better back. icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• 13 years later...
On 4/29/2007 at 5:43 PM, Guest said:

I researched the options for about 2 years. I have just concluded 2 and ?? weeks with Dr. Umar in Redondo Beach, CA. We completed 18,745 graphs of head, beard, and body hair. We made a complete first pass of the entire scalp. Things seem very good so far, but now only time will tell. I may request a much smaller second pass in 6 to 9 months to continue toward my final goal of 22,000 ??“ 25,000 graphs which was always the plan. But we will have to evaluate the results from now until then.

There is a video floating around on youtube of a patient who had 20,000 grafts, some scalp but mostly beard and body.  I was doing some digging on a reply for a different thread found this post.  Looks like "Endhairpiece" was the person in that video.  He didn't stick around to post much follow up photos but it was interesting to read about his initial procedure.

He had 13 days of surgery, with only weekends off.  I can't imagine being cooped up on the hospital bed that long.  This first procedure was about 18,000, which averages out to a little over 1k grafts performed a day.  It was slow going removing all the body grafts.

The first video is him at the 20k mark, and the second at 25k.  I asked the doctor why the extra five thousand and it was because the remaining native scalp hair had gone after the initial batch of surgeries and he came in to top it back off.

Probably one of the few cases of someone going from a Norwood 6 down to a 0.  This was 14 years ago.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AB2000 said:

There is a video floating around on youtube of a patient who had 20,000 grafts, some scalp but mostly beard and body.  I was doing some digging on a reply for a different thread found this post.  Looks like "Endhairpiece" was the person in that video.  He didn't stick around to post much follow up photos but it was interesting to read about his initial procedure.

He had 13 days of surgery, with only weekends off.  I can't imagine being cooped up on the hospital bed that long.  This first procedure was about 18,000, which averages out to a little over 1k grafts performed a day.  It was slow going removing all the body grafts.

The first video is him at the 20k mark, and the second at 25k.  I asked the doctor why the extra five thousand and it was because the remaining native scalp hair had gone after the initial batch of surgeries and he came in to top it back off.

Probably one of the few cases of someone going from a Norwood 6 down to a 0.  This was 14 years ago.

I could watch videos of these kinds of transformations all day. 

The end result is both a perfectly appropriate and attractive appearance for a man of the patients age. 

Begs the question if this was going on 14 years ago, what sort of results would be possible today? 

My eyes jumped out of my head when I saw 18k grafts.... and he got 25 in the end? Wow. 

Thanks for bumping this thread and updating, can't believe what I'm seeing this is amazing. He looks great and still has the option of some concealer to boost it.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Why would a NW6 need 20k grafts? Sounded as if he used between 2.5-4k scalp grafts, however, I have seen the likes of Eugenix using 7k grafts total- (4k scalp and 3k beard) to give that illusion of density.

I suppose this made the transplant more dense, but he could probably have gotten away with 7-8k grafts to provide the illusion.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, SLA said:

Why would a NW6 need 20k grafts? Sounded as if he used between 2.5-4k scalp grafts, however, I have seen the likes of Eugenix using 7k grafts total- (4k scalp and 3k beard) to give that illusion of density.

I suppose this made the transplant more dense, but he could probably have gotten away with 7-8k grafts to provide the illusion.

Thoughts?

From reading earlier in the thread, the quantity appears to be driven in part from the amount another person had done at the same place, Heliboy.  He was another early site contributer from back in the day.  He also had a large number (17k) done with Dr. Umar, following a botched HT.  Here are some of his details:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070428165826/http://www.myhairtransformation.com/

https://www.dermhairclinic.com/botched-hair-surgery-repair-bht/

Another thing to keep in mind is that hairs from below the neck will have a shorter growing time, so more of them will be needed to make up for when some go to resting phase early compared to scalp or beard donor.  I don't see it referenced on these videos but there's an entry on the clinic's website that indicates that his scalp donor was already close to depleted.  If he had gone to a better surgeon in the first place and hadn't wasted any then you'd think that yes, between that and using up the beard he would have needed a lot less overall.  He wound up paying a lot of money, even for 2007, but grafts at that place costed a decent amount less back then too.  Cost is more of a barrier high graft counts now.

Edited by AB2000
  • Thanks 1