From my hotel room in Minneapolis

So, for those of you who don't know me, Ive been posting on the boards for about a year now. I've researched and researched, and after several virtual and live consults, I've finally set a date (Nov 30th) with Dr. Shapiro here in Minneapolis.

To say I'm nervous is an understatement, but I flew in yesterday morning and had a 4 hour long meeting with Matt Zupan, Dr. Shapiro, and Janna. Matt introduced me to a former patient who was just under a year post op, and his results looked great.

His scar was about 1 - 2mm, which I was hoping would be a little smaller. That said, that was the only negative I could see about this guy. His hair looked amazing. I asked him if he was happy, and he said without a doubt "yes".

Matt then introduced me to one of their patients that was 1 day post op. His procedure looked very clean, and we got to chat a little. He also said he was happy so far, and thought things had gone great.

Then I got to go see a patient that was actually having surgery that day. He said he had had 2 procedures from Bosley, and that he was much happier with Dr. Shapiro. Dr. Shapiro took me over and showed me some grafts (1's, 2's, 3's, and 4's), and I got to talk to the patient (who says he posts on here sometimes, so I asked him to PM me and keep me updated on his progress. Hopefully he will. =) ). He said he was very happy with his choice to do with Dr. Shapiro.

Janna is just as sweet in person. On the boards I imagined her as one of those people who just radiates niceness, and that was definitely her to a tee. =)

Dr. Shapiro and I got to talk for a bit, and we discussed a plan for about 3000 grafts... 2500 in the front 1/3rd, and the rest venturing back into the crown.

I am most likely going to have to shave the recipient site, which I'm not thrilled about, but it'll be worth it when I'm done if I can get the results I am hoping for.

I am planning on doing scalp exercises regularly to increase laxity till the 20th, even though Matt said he didn't think it would be necessary.

Anyway, kinda surreal to have finally made a choice and put down a deposit after thinking about it so long. SO nervous, especially about the scar. Hope I am making the right choice!

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

So, for those of you who don't know me, Ive been posting on the boards for about a year now. I've researched and researched, and after several virtual and live consults, I've finally set a date (Nov 30th) with Dr. Shapiro here in Minneapolis.

To say I'm nervous is an understatement, but I flew in yesterday morning and had a 4 hour long meeting with Matt Zupan, Dr. Shapiro, and Janna. Matt introduced me to a former patient who was just under a year post op, and his results looked great.

His scar was about 1 - 2mm, which I was hoping would be a little smaller. That said, that was the only negative I could see about this guy. His hair looked amazing. I asked him if he was happy, and he said without a doubt "yes".

Matt then introduced me to one of their patients that was 1 day post op. His procedure looked very clean, and we got to chat a little. He also said he was happy so far, and thought things had gone great.

Then I got to go see a patient that was actually having surgery that day. He said he had had 2 procedures from Bosley, and that he was much happier with Dr. Shapiro. Dr. Shapiro took me over and showed me some grafts (1's, 2's, 3's, and 4's), and I got to talk to the patient (who says he posts on here sometimes, so I asked him to PM me and keep me updated on his progress. Hopefully he will. =) ). He said he was very happy with his choice to do with Dr. Shapiro.

Janna is just as sweet in person. On the boards I imagined her as one of those people who just radiates niceness, and that was definitely her to a tee. =)

Dr. Shapiro and I got to talk for a bit, and we discussed a plan for about 3000 grafts... 2500 in the front 1/3rd, and the rest venturing back into the crown.

I am most likely going to have to shave the recipient site, which I'm not thrilled about, but it'll be worth it when I'm done if I can get the results I am hoping for.

I am planning on doing scalp exercises regularly to increase laxity till the 20th, even though Matt said he didn't think it would be necessary.

Anyway, kinda surreal to have finally made a choice and put down a deposit after thinking about it so long. SO nervous, especially about the scar. Hope I am making the right choice!

-Steve

congrats steve!

I know, from what Ive seen, you have been very dilligent and passionate with respect to your research of surgeons and Im sure it will all pay off for you. I know you have helped me in my research and if you feel comfterable moving forward then Im sure you have made the right decision as you have done more than your share of research.

Im sure all will work out for you and cant wait to see a head full of hair for you! Keep everyone posted.

Hey Emu Im 6 1/2 months postop from SMG They took REAL good care of me. Your in good hands .Matt is a great guy and Janna is as sweet as they come .Dr Shapiro was there the whole time checking in all the time and even on day two when I came in for a wash took the elevator downstairs to catch me outside as I was leaving to check out the grafts once again . They really do care, and will be there for you throughout the whole process.

Emu,

i am a pt of Dr. Ron Shapiro, and everything that you have been told already is spot on. They really are caring people and professionals. I am 1.5 months post op and I was in the same boat as you in regards to being nervous. Honestly as soon as I met with Matt, Janna, and Dr. Shapiro i felt amazing, even before the procedure. You can PM me any time if you have any questions, I would be more than glad to help. I am only a pt so the only help I can give is as a pt. Hope this helps...

You only live once...

Originally posted by EmuSteve:

Hey Steve.

Sounds great !!

I'm also about to make the move and set up a time to have the surgery done.

What is roughly your Norwood scale # ??

I basically need the same amount of graphs in frontal 1/3...some spread over the crown.

Good luck.

Hear great things about Shapiro like the other great Docs here.

MORE_HAIR

Steve,

Have you officially decided on Dr. Shapiro then? Have you selected a date? You will be in great hands!

Who recommended that the recipient area be shaved? I know that Dr. Shapiro is not in the practice of regularly having the recipient area shaved, so I'm wondering why now?

I'm under the belief that shaving the recipient area (especially those who are getting a lot of hair transplanted between native hairs) provides an optimal surgical environment and can minimize the risk of native hair follicle transection and shock loss. I believe it is also easier to see the natural direction of the native hair growth.

I believe scalp exercises help a lot. Even if the goal isn't to get more grafts, it will certainly help with post-operative scalp tightness.

Best wishes Steve,

Bill

Yeah, officially set at date for Nov 30th. Plopped down my deposit and everything. =)

Dr Shapiro and Matt both mentioned that shaving the recipient area would be a good idea. The previous patient that I met said that his recipient area was also shaved.

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. I really appreciate it. After so long trolling the boards, its hard to believe that I am actually moving forward. =)

And thank you to everyone who offered to share their experience with me or talk with me. I promise I'll "pay it forward" when it comes time for me to document everything. =)

Thanks also to Joetronic... I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions a while ago, and H&W are definitely still on the table as I'm sure I'll need more than 1 procedure. H&W and Dr. Shapiro were my two main choices.

In fact, little nostalgia:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...831028682#5831028682

Anyway, thanks all for the encouragement. And I'd love to hear NN's story, did he post a link anywhere?

-Steve

Steve,

Congratulations on selecting a fine hair restoration surgeon to do your hair transplant.

Dr. Shapiro will treat you well.

November 30th is right around the corner and then it's just a matter of time until the new hair starts growing in.

You know, that's interesting that you posted the link to your first post....

Want to see something crazy?

Here's the link to MY first post posted on October 2nd, 2004: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5696...28105075&r=962109885

Cheers,

Bill

Emu,

Great decision my friend. I am currently 8 weeks post op and playing the waiting game. I was able to hang on to some of the grafts but essentially still similar to pre HT.

The work he performed was awesome. I had no pinkness by day 4-miraculous. Very clean work and everything that you said about the staff is dead on. Not so sure about their online advisor--Bspot though. icon_smile.gif Kidding ofcourse, even B essentially held my hand prior to procedure.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Good choice emusteve my surgery with SMG is Jan 3rd, I fully trust Ron Shapiro and his staff I feel he is one of the best in North America if not the world. I am also shooting for 3000 grafts, I am a diffuse thinner so I expect my hair to be shaved down, but like you said it will be worth it, Good luck jeff

NN-- why the low blow?

I'll curse 5-10 of your grafts---- I have seen ALL the Harry Potter movies, so I know how icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, Steve your going to be fine.

Isn't meeting everyone great? (for all of you Shapiro boys as well)

Janna is certainly awesome, Matt is really cool and professional, and Doc is..... well..the best right?

Bet you guys felt like you've known him for years right?

anyway, I am just glad to see you guys doing in-depth research before making a decision, regardless of who you choose (as long as Bill, NN, Buzz, JB, Gorpy the gang think the doc is OK) LOL

I look forward to seeing your transformations!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Emusteve,

Good luck with your procedure. Congrats.

Bill,

I can't even get my first post to come up in the search function. It goes back to Dec. 2002 when my first post was in, get this, January 02! I guess the time limit for my posts ran outicon_smile.gif

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Joe,

I wondered if after I posted my first post if you'd chime in. yes, wow...January 2002! That's a long time ago!

On a serious note...one thing I have found recently is that the search feature doesn't seem to always pull up all the relevant search results. I am going to have to talk to the software people again.

Bill

I noticed that too.

It doesn't take a massive amount of space to store everyones posts... I am wondering if there is an area in the UI for the forum on the backend that will let you set a "no time limit" on post expirations.

-Steve