what could be the future..?

what could be the future HL surgical procedures?

After ten years how would the methods be?

Is this predictable?

Will FUT of hair give hand at that time..??

Or something else will beat it?

If so , what about the HT patients(including FUT) NOW?

what could be the future HL surgical procedures?

After ten years how would the methods be?

Is this predictable?

Will FUT of hair give hand at that time..??

Or something else will beat it?

If so , what about the HT patients(including FUT) NOW?

Cloning will be the next huge progression in Ht technology. They will be able to clone your own hair, they will then inject the follicles into your scalp.

You will have unlimited donor hair.

This means even if you have depleated your donor supply with Strip surgery, they will still be able to pluck a hair or two & clone them.

thickerhair,

Folica is right...

Right now there are two exciting pieces of research that looks promising...

One is hair multiplication and the other has to do with wnts proteins and the signaling pathway. Hair multiplication is at least 10 years away where there have only been recent discoveries of wnts proteins that regrew hair in mice.

Bill

None of these things are guaranteed.

Scientists have been cloning new hair for at least 10-20 years in experiments, but nobody is doing it well enough to be useful yet.

There are several groups working hard at perfecting this technology right now. They are definitely closer than anyone has ever been in the past. But they still have not published any results that look like real normal hairs, so we don't know how far they are yet. And they are only halfway finished with the government-mandated tests to prove that it works and it is safe. So that problem by itself will take several more years just to get past before they can offer any kind of cloned hair to the public.

There is a lot of news saying that cloning new hair is only a few years away. However, these researchers depend on other people's money to keep working, so they have a good reason to predict the advancements sooner than they might really happen.

It seems likely that SOME KIND of new hair loss treatment will be available in the next 5-15 years because there are so many different new possibilities being investigated right now. But nobody knows which methods it will be, or when it will be released to the public.

---------------------------------------------------

Guest HLBD

I agree with calvinmd. From what I have seen of the hair cloning technology so far, it is a lot more promise than reality at the moment.

As for the ten years predicted, I'd like to clarify that this is the period that the leading companies have stated that they believe that hair multiplication will be available to the public, but even they must admit that its effectiveness will probably be very limited. Out of the five test subjects at the leading development company in England, only three actually grew new hair. They have no idea why the treatment was completely ineffective on the other two subjects. Those that grew new hair only grew about 19 to 25 new hairs in what was (I believe) about a centimeter area of the scalp they were testing. Many are - justifiably - skeptical of the treatment so far as none of the companies have sufficiently addressed questions that the leading hair transplant physicians have developed procedures for: hair growth angle, hair characteristics native to the area where the new hair will grow, non-native hair interfering with the growth of native hair for the area of the scalp, shock loss possibilities, viable blood supply for the new follicles, and intersection between the growth of two follicles. To these questions, most of the companies in the US and abroad seem to be taking the same approach as the hair mills that advertise on late night TV - hair's hair, right? Well, as many on this forum can tell you, that isn't right. Sure the work of hair transplantation is grueling and long, but their are no short-cuts if you want the patient to have good results and you have to have a surgeon that: 1) cares about his patient and his results, 2) cares about his reputation, and 3) this may be the most important, sees his work as a work of art and designs the best possible hair pattern to combat the balding look. It is deeply concerning when a company sees to ignore the questions that - when addressed - made some of the greatest Coalition docs great.

Now, I'm not saying that I don't think that HM won't be a major breakthrough when it is completely perfected and viable. I just think that the timeline for that is probably another 15 - 30 years. Look how long it took to perfect HT! Not to mention the other downsides: 1) it will be very costly, 2) it is reported to be quite painful as it takes almost 100 shots per inch and will still only grow about 19 new hairs in that area, and 3) it will take a lot of time to develop the cultures for implantation and then to implant them to the scalp - AND it seems that their trials indicate that this might not result in any new hair at all!

I believe the future 5 to 10 years will hold several new treatments and many of them will probably be more immediately viable and effective before HM. A company called AndroScience is working on a compound that they believe will damage or degrade androgen receptors, making hair follicles immune or very resistant to the effects of DHT. Also there is a lot of news of the discovery of chemical signaling pathways (they are sort of like roadmaps to where your cells - including those in the follicle - get their information on when and how to grow, etc.)

There is some information on the news regarding that here:

http://news.hairlosshelp.com/hair-loss-news/first-demon...eration-in-a-mammal/

AndroScience has some (very limited) information on their compound here:

http://www.AndroScience.com

and

http://news.hairlosshelp.com/hair-loss-news/new-hair-lo...t-under-development/

Guest HLBD

Also, take a look at this thread:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...181016023#8181016023

A company called Neosil is in Phase 2b of clinical trials of a topical that they claim is effective against MPB - they have already shown efficacy over a short period of only 14 days. The Phase 2b trials are to last longer and prove long term efficacy. This could be the next treatment we have available in the next 2 to 3 years, should it prove effective and safe. I have seen nothing of how this topical is supposed to work, its side effects, or even what it is, so I cannot tell you how much stock to put into the company's claim. However, it is encouraging to see that this is their lead compound for development (so is AndroScience's compound, but it is first to be tested against its efficacy in acne treatment) and is the only implication for the development is MPB.

Guest HLBD

Thanks Badger! This is very good information. So, it would seem that the Neosil compound is a licensed one from a bone marrow research biomed lab in my home state of Texas. It would appear that it is a bone marrow protein that somehow encourages hair loss. I wonder if it works as other proteins, with a chemical signaling pathway.

I am very encouraged to learn that Dr. Price is involved in their trials and that she is encouraged by the results. If you don't know who she is, she is a brilliant research that happens to suffer from a mild form of MPB (yes, she even has a bald spot on her crown). She was involved in every major drug therapy breakthrough of the modern age, including Propecia and Rogaine. If she is indicating that she is encouraged, then that is very good news.

Also, it seems that this compound is a much better and faster growth stimulator than minoxidil, according to the Phase I and Phase 2a tests. And, it works in a very short time producing many more cosmetically acceptable hairs (i.e.: terminal hairs).

I'll be watching this drug with much more interest now that I see Dr. Price is on the trial board.

Thanks,HLBD and Badger, that was worth browzin ur info Guys..!

quote:

A company called Neosil is in Phase 2b of clinical trials of a topical that they claim is effective against MPB - they have already shown efficacy over a short period of only 14 days. The Phase 2b trials are to last longer and prove long term efficacy. This could be the next treatment we have available in the next 2 to 3 years, should it prove effective and safe. I have seen nothing of how this topical is supposed to work, its side effects, or even what it is, so I cannot tell you how much stock to put into the company's claim. However, it is encouraging to see that this is their lead compound for development (so is AndroScience's compound, but it is first to be tested against its efficacy in acne treatment) and is the only implication for the development is MPB.

------------------------------------------------

HLBD,

Do u mean to say that in another 2 or 3 years, if what u quoted above comes to life,there will be no transplantation..??

can the topic alone do wonders..?

Also,I have a general doubt,as If HM comes to implementation,what could be to FUT..? Will it be considered minisqual ..? Or its popularity come down..? Can people still go for it..?

Thanks,Thicker..

Guest HLBD

No, none of the proposed treatments - with the possible exception of wnt proteins - will every likely replace HT. There is no telling what any of the proposed treatments can do, but it is likely that (in the next 3 to 5 years) you will see at least one treatment that is superior to the current treatments of Propecia and Rogaine (minoxodil).

As I have stated before, given the state of the current clinical testing of HM it is unlikely to be anything but an experimental treatment (and probably not available until about 10 to 15 years from now) only used for those with serious lack of donor density. Right now it is developed as an overly expensive, time consuming, not very effective, and possibly not very pleasing on a cosmetic level treatment to be used with HT. Everyone (including the development companies) is expecting that it will take twenty to thirty years after it becomes available for it to be even thought of a possibility to replace HM. Think about the bad plugs and flap procedures you saw in HM when it was first available. That is probably what you have to look forward to with the first incarnation of HM... I think people are getting overly excited with HM.

I heartily agree.

Everyone in the HM world is disturbingly silent when the subject of "cosmetically-acceptable" hairs comes up. I think they may just be ecstatic because they're finally growing anything at all. Read enough about the hair cloning efforts, and you find more than one reference to "short, curly" hairs rather that traditional-looking hairs.

I think saving your existing hairs is still gonna be the paramount way to treat MPB for at least the next 1-2 decades.

However, both of these new treatments seem very promising. If both of those drugs were to reach the market (and if they are actually as effective as the tests seem to indicate), they would probably be more effective than Minoxodil and Propecia combined.

The androgen receptor drug seems most promising to me. It sounds like using that drug for a continued length of time might eventually cause some amount of PERMANENT reduction in hair loss even if its use is discontinued.

--------------------------------------------------

• 8 years later...

This is very strange to stumble upon this post, realising it is only just shy of the 10 year mark you all spoke of, with very little new products on the market.

Even now, there is still very little known and nothing really planned. I am 33 and have just begun to notice a thinning of my hair, so it's quite odd to read people from 2007 asking similar questions to me and wondering how their journey has been since then. Whether acceptance has been found and meanwhile still personally waiting on a decent treatment myself.

There's talk of a fin topical solution being fairly close having made it through the first few phases, also talk of other possible drugs etc being around phase 2b... But very little else.

A sobering post indeed

• Administrators

There will never be a cure, makers of minoxidil and propecia created a market, everything from this forum to regenepure shampoo are part of this market, livelihoods and a lot of money is at stake, the only things that will come on the scene are things you have to continually take for the rest of your life like minoxidil and propecia, this ensures that the market stays alive. Come back in another 20-30 years I gurantee you people will still be saying hair cloning is around the corner, they can artificially create salmon, you're telling me a hair follicle can not be cloned, cmon it's a joke, the only improvements well see in our lifetime is hair restoration refinement techniques, scar revisions and better graft survival, that's it. Maybe and that's a big maybe, they'll come out with a drug as effective as propecia without the side effects, but nevertheless you'll have to take it for life, meaning big pharma has their hands in your pocket forever.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This is very strange to stumble upon this post, realising it is only just shy of the 10 year mark you all spoke of, with very little new products on the market.

Even now, there is still very little known and nothing really planned. I am 33 and have just begun to notice a thinning of my hair, so it's quite odd to read people from 2007 asking similar questions to me and wondering how their journey has been since then. Whether acceptance has been found and meanwhile still personally waiting on a decent treatment myself.

There's talk of a fin topical solution being fairly close having made it through the first few phases, also talk of other possible drugs etc being around phase 2b... But very little else.

A sobering post indeed

I agree.

Since 2007, we have seen little change in hair loss products. Though the aesthetic results from surgical hair restoration have improved around the world, the surgical solutions are pretty much the same too.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I have to say I think whilst people still believe that the minox & fin combo work, there's very little that is needed, in terms of money revenue for big pharma.

My guess would be that in a very distant future, baldness will be seen as a disease rather than a forgone effect of age... in which case more preventative measures will be in place, much the same as there are in other illnesses.

I think, once your gair is going/gone, most of the underlying damage has been done.

I agree the treatments that we have now will be somewhat refined, but I'm hoping by the time all that rolls around I'll have long since come to terms with it.

To an outside eye I am probably acting a bit OTT, as I basically look like my hair is fine... It's still long, it still covers all my head and the recession can only really be seen under a rather close light... But that doesn't mean that the mental effects... the trolling through Web pages every night. The trying to find out that in fact it could be a mineral I'm lacking or some other type of treatable baldness... as I'm sure many have done.

It just seems that there is a rather large community of people quite drastically affected by this. Even doctors etc seem reluctant to help or acknowledge it as an issue...

Maybe they're right... I suppose it's hard to know, until it affects you.

Anyways... good chat. Keep hoping, lads. The worst has already happened, so it can only improve ))

I have to say I think whilst people still believe that the minox & fin combo work, there's very little that is needed, in terms of money revenue for big pharma.

My guess would be that in a very distant future, baldness will be seen as a disease rather than a forgone effect of age... in which case more preventative measures will be in place, much the same as there are in other illnesses.

I think, once your gair is going/gone, most of the underlying damage has been done.

I agree the treatments that we have now will be somewhat refined, but I'm hoping by the time all that rolls around I'll have long since come to terms with it.

To an outside eye I am probably acting a bit OTT, as I basically look like my hair is fine... It's still long, it still covers all my head and the recession can only really be seen under a rather close light... But that doesn't mean that the mental effects... the trolling through Web pages every night. The trying to find out that in fact it could be a mineral I'm lacking or some other type of treatable baldness... as I'm sure many have done.

It just seems that there is a rather large community of people quite drastically affected by this. Even doctors etc seem reluctant to help or acknowledge it as an issue...

Maybe they're right... I suppose it's hard to know, until it affects you.

Anyways... good chat. Keep hoping, lads. The worst has already happened, so it can only improve ))