Working Out Post Op?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, there seems to be some serious differences in time-frames. When is it ok to lift some heavy weights( squats) etc ?I would think a month would be enought time off for the donor area. I did read that some places tell you to refrain from weights for 4 and 5 months.

4 to 5 months is a stretch and I tend to stick to the conservative side just to be safe. For squats, deadlifts, etc. I wait three months. I will, however use the sled after about of month, being absolutely mindful of my form, though.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

starting workout is based on how fast one can heal. Healinig varies from person to person and it also depends on Age factor. One should take more time to start workout if width of the skin removed is high.

I started brisk walking at 3rd week, light weights at 4th week and started lifting heavy weights at 5th week(Deadlifts and squat). Now I am 6 weeks post-op and I don't feel any numbness or any discomfort at the scar. Atleast my doctor did something better at the scar.

Ravi Vide

• 1 month later...

Reading these comments makes me want to just give up on the idea of ever getting a hair transplant even though I really need it. I lift hard and heavy every week. It is one of the only things that makes me feel good. Taking time off to heal the scar would be a major league bummer.

Originally posted by HL_Sufferer:

Reading these comments makes me want to just give up on the idea of ever getting a hair transplant even though I really need it. I lift hard and heavy every week. It is one of the only things that makes me feel good. Taking time off to heal the scar would be a major league bummer.

Plan to have your HT around the time that you should be taking a week off. You're not supposed to lift continuously without rest for more than 8-10 weeks. You should go 8 or so weeks, take a week off, change your regimen, and then get back to it.

Bodies need time to heal and they also need time to adapt and "soften." Without giving it time to do that, and changing your workout plan, you'll limit your potential gains.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by HL_Sufferer:

I started working out on the same day I had my stitches out (day 9) without any problems (and I mean REALLY working out - not light exercise...).

As far as the grafts are concerned you can excercise as normal after about 5 days. But you have a major wound running along the back of your head which potentially could be very ugly if widened. You've just spent thousands of $ trying to make your head look better. Why risk it?

Normal healing phases for a wound such as a HT donor strip are:

Inflamatory response 0-4 days

Fibroblastic repair (where the flesh is joining together) 4 days-6 weeks.

Remodelling 6 weeks-2 years.

Most of the strength (of the scar) is established after 4 months.

I would recommend normal weights at 4 months.

Before this your scar could widen.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm lazy, but I welcomed the break. icon_smile.gif

Of course, I'm not a "hardcore lifter" by any means. ANY means.

I'm more of a "if I have a six-pack and definition, that's good enough for me" kind of guy. icon_smile.gif

But seriously, guys. Like brianf warned, you don't want to stretch that scar. You'll kick yourself for it. Talk it over with your physician and see what they recommend. You'll find that a majority of them say that my recommendations are waaaay conservative and you can hit the gym much sooner. I just want to play it safe (and lazy icon_biggrin.gif).

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by psychojr:

I had my second HT on 11/7 and have been deer hunting 3x since then carrying a tree stand on my back. I don't feel like I screwed anything up -- at least hope not!

I hope for your sake you didn't. Like I said before, I tend to be a bit more safe than sorry. But to lug a deer stand on your back (how much does it weigh) 3 times within 4 days of your procedure is a bit much. I ope you aren't exerting too much pressure on your donor area sutures.

At any rate, congratulations on your procedure.

-Robert

23 lbs? Oh ok. That's nothing more than carrying a few bags of groceries in from the car. icon_smile.gif

My advice (and every physician I've ever heard speak on the subject) is to ensure you don't put an inordinate amount of strain on that area, making it pull apart. I'm sure you would know when you were doing that, though.

Best of luck,

-Robert

psychojr-

Sounds like you'll be okay but I'd go with Robert..............error on the side of caution!! I hope you had a 4-wheeler or something for the doe.......100lbs isn't a huge doe by any means (at least not in Illinois) but enough you could be straining if you didn't have some help.

I'm with you...........I don't bow-hunt but did put a tree-stand and blind out yesterday for 1st gun season this weekend in Illinois (we have to use shotgun here, not rifle). Have seen tons of activity this year so far................glad I didn't have either of my HT's during this time as I'd hate to miss it!!

Oh well.............back to HT discussion!! 'course ya never see any bucks with a receeding furline or thinning crown.. icon_biggrin.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I had to take my appt with Dr. Cooley when I could get it. I hated that it was during deer season, but oh well. My 1 week followup is in the morning and I'm flying out Wed to MN for goose hunting.

BTW - I dragged the deer out. Didn't throw it on my back or anything. ha ha...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

panther,

I think proceeding with a bit of caution is advisable regarding "intense" workouts. 7-10 days, the scar is still very fresh and new, and anything that might strain the tender scar is bad news. Just use your head and you will be ok. If you feel a strain...don't do it. If not, well then...be careful, but go for it.

Bill

Two things I'd recommend:

The first is concentrate heavily on breathing correctly when performing excercises. Breathe in heavily when not exerting and breathe heavily when exerting. This should be done in a much more exagerrated way then when working out normally, as you would prior to HT. By doing this you will limit the pressure build up in your head. I would also lift light for the first few weeks.

The other thing I would concentrate on is avoiding any exercises where your chin is pushed down towards your chest. You can do exercises where you move your head back and exercises where you keep it straight. Be aware and careful and you should avoid damaging the back of your head.

• 2 months later...

I train & compete in (kick)boxing and grappling, and one of the primary issues I am going to really inquire about with True&Dorin is the "how long post-op till' working out"....it seems like there isn't a definitive answer out there, but I'm going to try to get a (conservative) approximation for the following:

walking; jogging; sprinting; light to medium weights; heavy weights; "normal" strength/conditioning routines; kickboxing; and finally, grappling and boxing/kickboxing sparring....I have a feeling that it could be a long, long time (3+months) before I'll be able to participate in some of the latter activities.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm about to have my first surgery (probably around 1800 grafts), and I'm a little concerned about cutting back on my gym habits. Why do you guys mean by heavy lifting? If I lift 15-20 lbs. for my biceps after 10 days, is that ok? I know that it's possible to stay in shape without lifting weights like Hercules. My only question is what's out there in terms of workout to make the whole post-op recovery a breeze.

I'm concerned about the ab work/pec work (I use a cable machine)? What would you recommend to minimize tension after 10 days?

I know that everyone's different but there's gotta be smart workout choices to maximize recovery without changing your lifestyle drastically? I'm planning to play the diet card in addition to light lifting for the first month to stay lean and clean. I have a very fast metabolism, feel pretty confident about my body's resilience to physical stress but I'd like to still look in top shape. Any gym wisdom literature out there you'd recommend? What do well-known athletes do anyway?

Great topic.

I was back running 10KM 10 days after my surgery. I was doing all kind of plyometric exercises including push-up, squats, sit-up etc...after 14 days. You've just got to mindful of when you feel strain on your neck. I woud advise to proceed with caution in doing super heavy weight lifting. That said, I'll never understand why some guys are so obsessed with "getting bigger" and disregard the benefit that comes from intense cardio. Taking a few months off the heavy weights and going for regular jogs will do wonders to your lean muscle mass which I think is not only a great look, but also so much better for your health. But, I digress.

Thanks, Megatron. Yep, I usually don't do any heavy weight lifting, just long sets but I think that I'll gain muscle back quickly. I've a good diet, etc., and I've been working for years, that'll be fine. Did you do anything during those 10 days that was not too straining in terms of upper and lower body (long walks for cardio? or short distances).

I guess, as you said, you just have to go easy on those stitches. As for the overall results, are you satisfied with what you have? What do you do to maintain your hair?