DR TRUE

tony71

GREAT NEWS TONY!!!!!! I am glad to hear that you had communicated with Pat and Dr. True, and things seem to be working out well for you.

Mark H---- HUH? Let me spell this out for you....I (like yourself) merely offered a different perspective on the situation, as I am wont to do, and I left if for others to chime in on how they felt as well. After another member chimed in and Tony apprised me of the dates, etc... I simply let them know I was checking every angle. THAT IS ALL. In addition, comparing or even joking about 9/11 is crass and insensitive, especially in relation to something as vain and pretentious as hairtransplantation. I am glad you decided to chime in as to how you view issues, but we have had several posters attempt to descredit doctors on this forum, for personal or financial gain. It is that motivation that caused me to question Tony, especially after he claimed to have his last HT over 7 years ago. Perhaps if you had been a member for longer than a few months you might remember some of these vicious accusations. It only takes one misinformed or malicious poster to start a lie or rumor that can have lasting consequences. It looks as if this situation is coming to a satisfying conclusion, which is a testament to the power this site wields.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone for their word of encourgements.

Right now I'm only going in for to see if anything can be done, one thing I don't like about the HT surgery is the pain and the swelling in the face. Its funny how you see these TV commercials for HT surgerys and how they claims you can be back at work the next day, yeah right! :-)

Another thing is I started thinking if the HT procedures have advanced this far, I wonder what other advances we will see in the next 5 years?

• Administrators

Tony,

I'm glad that you and Dr. True had a productive conversation. I'm really encouraged by his offer to help you restore your hair if it is appropriate for you. I've always found Dr. True to be honest, gracious and generous so I'm not surprised by his response.

I do agree with B Spot that your situation does demonstrate the value of this community in giving voice to the patient. I also think it is commendable that Dr. True and other leading physicians are willing to operate in a publicly transparent and accountable manner. Trust is earned on this forum not by claims but by actions.

Tony, with today's smaller and more minimally invasive incisions swelling in the face is less common than it was years ago. If you do surgery I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how more refined it is.

As for things getting even better, it doesn't get any more natural than transplanting hairs in the natural follicular unit groupings they grow in naturally.

Best wishes and please keep us all posted on how things develop. I know we are all hoping for a great outcome for you.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

I second the comment about swelling. After my procedure w/ Dr. True a few months ago, I had absolutely no swelling whatsoever, and I wasn't even as diligent about icing as I could've been. The whole procedure for me was painless start to finish; I'd be hard-pressed to say that I was even in any discomfort post-op. Of course I could feel stitches in the back of my head, but that was about it. I too have found Dr. True to be honest and gracious in all of our discussions, and b/c I was the only procedure scheduled for that day, Dr. Dorin also assisted with the surgery. I hope you'll find a lot has changed in the last 10 years, Tony. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Originally posted by L'Anonyme:

I second the comment about swelling. After my procedure w/ Dr. True a few months ago, I had absolutely no swelling whatsoever, and I wasn't even as diligent about icing as I could've been. The whole procedure for me was painless start to finish; I'd be hard-pressed to say that I was even in any discomfort post-op. Of course I could feel stitches in the back of my head, but that was about it. I too have found Dr. True to be honest and gracious in all of our discussions, and b/c I was the only procedure scheduled for that day, Dr. Dorin also assisted with the surgery. I hope you'll find a lot has changed in the last 10 years, Tony. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

I share the same experience. I found Dr. True to be very upfront and his entire staff was helpful and pleasant. I had a HT of 675 grafts and experienced no swelling (I iced my forehead every hour for 10 minutes for the first couple of days) and minimal pain (although I did take a painkiller every 4-6 hours for the first three days).

Tony and I were able to speak at length last night. I really appreciate him doing so. He will be coming to visit me in New York on Monday September 18th. I will post more information following that visit. I expressed my apologies for any contribution I may have made to his negative feelings about how he was treated and the results of the treatment. I also assured him that I will do everything I can to bring about a satisfactory conclusion for him

I do want to clarify some of the issues and circumstances around his case.

I do recall Tony and I do remember having the conversation with him about refunds and his last treatment. It is always my practice to document patient visits in the chart. I was not aware or informed of what happened after our conversation when he did re-contact the Bethesda (sic) actually Chevy Chase office. If I had been, I would have honored the commitment. I am flabbergasted to learn that he was treated in such a manner in my absence.

Next year I will reach the milestone of having performed 20,000 procedures. If you find it hard to believe that I would remember Tony after all this time, I would say that the kind of conversation Tony and I had, have been very rare in my career and therefore stands out very clearly in my memory.

One of the painful lessons I have learned in my professional career is that it can be a mistake to let success drive you into expansion of offices and doctors. The Chevy Chase office was an affiliate of Elliott & True, my old partnership, during the mid to late nineties. The office was staffed by Dr. Joe Gallagher, followed by Dr. Tom Wentland, and finally Dr. Howard Izenson, who purchased the practice. I was only in the office for brief periods of transition from one doctor to another.

Throughout its history the office was plagued by staff turnover including the doctors which led to breakdowns in continuity of care. Continuity is a crucial part of working with hair loss patients in achieving the goal of successful lifelong restoration. I know this breakdown in continuity was an important factor in Tony's case.

Dr. Gallagher did Tony's consultation and initial treatments. I did one treatment, and Dr. Wentland did the final treatment.

Practicing in one office and a with a very stable, experienced staff is (the situation I now have with Dr. Dorin) is the best way to assure the best results and experience for patients. This is the way almost all of the practices that are most highly respected function. There is clearly a loss of control in expansion. I think this is the kind of problem I not only encountered, but is an issue for the Bosley's and MHR's of the world.

I am not giving this explanation to escape responsibility; my name was on the door, so I accept full responsibility. Rather, I offer this as clarification of the milieu in which Tony's treatment occurred.

It is also important to say, by way of context, that the technology used in his case was in keeping with the state of the art for the day ??“ smaller, less dense treatments of micro and minigrafts spaced further apart and usually requiring a few sessions 6 to 12 months apart to achieve satisfactory density and cosmetic result. This is not the technology I have used since the latter 90's and bears no resemblance to the ultra-dense treatments we offer today. Fortunately its limitations are a thing of the past.

I was sorry to see one of the posts in this thread say that they would not trust Dr. Dorin and me with full 5A- 6 restorations. Such cases constitute a major portion of our practice and our patients including discriminating people such as doctors, lawyers, business and political leaders, entertainers and folks just like all the rest of us are uniformly happy with how we have treated them and the results of their treatment.

I will post further about Tony with his permission after we meet.

I appreciate the opportunity to be part of this forum.

• Administrators

Dr. True,

Thanks for stepping up to the plate in doing what you can for Tony and in providing such a detailed response.

I hope and expect that Tony will have a very positive out come from here on out.

Thanks to all who contributed to this topic and to its resolution.

All the best, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

out come from here on out.

Thanks to all who contributed to this topic and to its resolution

This entire topic is is a clear affirmation of how important and productive this site is and should continue to be. Of course, my own almost-procedure with Bosley was averted less than two hours pre-op by THIS SITE, so I am forever grateful to Pat. But more broadly, it is a truth-seeking medium through which former, current and prospective patients can examine, discuss and expound on this otherwise unregulated industry. In short, how else could a patient such as Tony seek redress? Good doctors have everything to gain by the free marketplace; bad ones everything to lose.

Dr. True's high level of skill is, not surprisingly, matched only by his professionalism and good will. Bravo to him and Pat. And Good luck to Tony!

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Harumpf!!! Harumpf!!! Dr. True!!! Thanks for stepping up to the plate and "manning up" regardless of the fact that you did not do this to Tony intentionally, your name was on the door. Thank You for explaining the situation, and displaying a willingness to share information about your past that is not quite so rosy. My respect for you has increased exponentially, and I wish you continued success. I am glad you are a Coalition Doctor.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I can only echo the words of others.

Dr. True "truly" showed his sincere care for his patients and this forum produced, yet another wonderful and productive result.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Originally posted by rhtruemd:

I was sorry to see one of the posts in this thread say that they would not trust Dr. Dorin and me with full 5A- 6 restorations. QUOTE]

I, for one, believe Dr. True is sincere, genuine and a consummate professional. I subsequently have engaged his services for my NW6 restoration journey-Sept. 20th. I will create a weblog (I love these things) so you all can track the progress.

Tony71, I wish you luck as I know ALL to well the trials and tribulations of wearing a hair system. (18 years)

Thanks to all that answered my questions, phone calls, private messages, etc... This forum is terrific and ultimately saved me from the mistake (yet another) of having a "drive-thru" franchised HT.

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Hello everyone,

I'm now catching the tail end of this conversation and have to admit that I was a bit disturbed in the beginning seeing how badly things went down for Tony, however, I was surprised having direct experience with Dr. True. I believed he would respond and respond professionally doing all he could to help Tony. I'm glad everyhing is working out for you Tony. Thanks to Dr. True for contributing to this forum as well and doing the responsible thing.

Bill

Hi

If anyone on this site has any question about Dr. True's integrity I would suggest they start at looking in the mirror. Everyone has had professional challenges at one point or another which is part of life. However, owning up to them and learning are the attributes of a true professional and a solid human being..

Cheers Dr. True

JB

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

what impressed me is this took place a while ago, arguably he could have said that was then this is now sorry. To do what he is doing has definatley been above and beyond the call of duty, I am hoping Dr True gains a lot of buisness by turning a bad situation into a good one, and having a solid reputation.

I'm curious. Did anyone else read the claim by Dr. True of being close to performing a total of 20,000 transplants by next year? Assuming Dr True started back in 1992 with 5 working days per week, and 50 weeks per year (2 week vacation), he would have to average nearly 6 procedures per day to reach this figure. Am I missing something?

Number of procedures performed also seems a bit irrelevant since most of them would not have been pure FU procedures. I don't understand the math either. Such a bragging point doesn't seem like a criterion for picking a surgeon at all.

Hi

I don't see it as bragging rather to establish creditbility. If you have met Dr. True , he is hardly one to be of an arrogant nature. In fact, he is quite soft spoken and speaks highly of many docs on this site . The bottom line is: When choosing a Doctor, do your research and meet them personally as well as their patient. There is not one surgeon on here who has not had a patient who was not satisfied. It is the nature of the business.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Tony,

Dr. True, like a number of other doctors in the coalition, doesn't mandate that you shave the recipient area, so you'll want to discuss the approach with him when you meet. I'll think you'll be able to be back at work without having to shave the entire top of your head.