12 Month Donor Scar Improvement + Overall Update

I was trying to track down pictures of a transplanted hairline sheared closely, but couldn't find too many on my own, and my requests to see pictures by people who claimed to have done this were ignored. So I buzzed my entire head with a #2 guard on the clippers.

The pics were taken without flash under bathroom light, directly under a ceiling lamp in my bedroom, and a a few shots outside in natural light.

Buzzed.jpg

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

nice, thanks for these. ive always been interested in how it would look after buzzing it down.

are you planning on going in for more density, or saving those grafts for when you bald in the future?

p.s. nice hairline design!

Thanks for the replies. LULZ at "Hitler Youth". icon_biggrin.gif

All of the grafts were place in the first few centimeters of the hairline, so I was expecting a lot more density for 2000 grafts over these three surgeries, although I think a combination of hair characteristics, physiology, and the fact that the first transplant wasn't great influenced what I have to show for my troubles so far.

I know I have more hair loss than most average people think; buzzing down confirmed this. I'm 28 and don't think I'm going to turn full-blown NW7 out of nowhere, but I am keeping future loss in mind. I want to maybe see Feller in the fall and see if FUEing the scar is advisable at this time, maybe a session of 500 grafts total, blasting the the center of my hairline with a few hundred grafts and use the rest to address the scar. That will mean I would have allocated 2500 for the hairline, hoping to have around 5000 left to shoot for a believable balding pattern. This way I can continue to buzz down if hair loss starts occurring more rapidly, and start to develop a master plan that hopefully can involve a few large FUE sessions every few years.

I think I have to approach this with the expectation that the crown will be left bare or thin, and to conserve most grafts for behind the *relatively low* hairline, to the center region, and around the sides of the crown.

Something like this, although preferably more hair around the periphery of the crown: Zidane.jpg

-------

Sounds like a good plan, and well thought out.

Glad to hear that you're getting good results after not so great priors, as they can be really discouraging to the point where you don't ever want to think of an ht again. ha

If you're thinking of Feller for FUE, why didn't you choose him for the strip?

Originally posted by TC17:

Do you take some pictures of the scar with your hair this short to share with us?

Looking good, a small FUE procedure in the front (esp. right side).

I also am very curious about the scar in the back with a #2. Please icon_smile.gif

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Thanks for the replies.

Ok, here are the scar pics. Again, the scar isn't good, but I'm still at 6 months. Hopefully the pinkness of the scar itself will continue to fade, which may lessen some of the contrast between hair, scar, and scalp affected below the scar. But I've been experimenting with dark brown hair mascara to make it acceptable:

hairmascara.th.jpg

This stuff is designed to mask gray hair; it's not really your conventional "concealer". The application is a little "cakey", but much better than nothing. I may have better luck with Dermmatch, maybe using medium brown. Again, at this stage it isn't about perfection, it's about going out and not getting a second look from 9 out of 10 people. I only took after shots outside because you can't really see the contrast in room lighting that well.

Hopefully scar revision via FUE will be a feasible option for me. I want to go this route because my scar is not the worst thing I've ever seen. I don't have an ear-to-ear smiley, and I don't have a scar that's half an inch wide. I don't want to rule out strip entirely, but for me personally I don't know if it's worth it considering the prospects for advancement in FUE session size. I understand there's still scarring associated with that procedure, but if you respond well to the treatment, I don't think anyone can argue that those little scars spread out across the entire donor region is even remotely comparable to a linear strip scar.

Click to see up close.

-------

I agree with Leeson on this one. I don't want to make you feel bad, but I don't think the scar looks good with what you are putting on it. I wish I could offer a suggestion about what to put on it, but I still have a virgin scalp. Maybe you can start a topic asking for suggestions? Either way, I'm sure the scar is going to continue to fade, and the hair looks completely natural to me.

Yeah, I need to maybe order some Dermmatch and experiment with it. But by the time that shit gets here the hair will probably have grown back. I could always buzz it again and try. But what color... medium-brown? My hair is actually a darker brown, but at this length lighter may be the way to go. What I should have done is buzz the head with a #3 first to see how it looked since last time I did that the donor was a lot less detectable, but it was an impulsive decision to take out the clippers.

Effective concealer application or not, if I want to continue buzzing down at this length I'm going to need scar revision. I'm wondering where the grafts actually go though: more into the scar, or below the scar into the jagged-looking hair?

-------

Thanks for the pics, looking good.

Go with med-brown Dermatch - it will appear darker so don't get any darker.

Good to have on hand.

Thanks for posting I'm also interested in seeing how this works out for you. You may know this already but hair grows at about 1/2 inch per month and each grade on the clipper is 1/8 of an inch. So it takes approximately 1 week for hair to grow from a #2 to a #3. So a week after you shaved to a #2 you'll know what a #3 looks like.

As you said it is a little too early to fully assess your situation as the redness should still subside a little. The jagged looking hairline looks a little like you are still recovering from shockloss although at 6.5 months this seems unlikely. Ultimately you may have to FUE into the scar and the jagged area to allow yourself to shave so short, and you may have to compromise to a #3. I don't know if 500 FUE will be enough for this and to do additional work on the hairline.

The advice I saw about dermmatch is that it is better to go lighter rather than darker as it won't be so noticeable even if it is not a perfect match.

Please keep us updated like you I don't see many guys post on this. And good luck.

Originally posted by Leeson:

Not too bad, not too bad at all. You look like a Hitler youth! icon_smile.gif

Leeson, I would kindly suggest that you refrain from ANY use of satirical humor; it's for your own personal safety. You see, any use of sarcasm on this community will likely get you treated as some child-rapist by a victims advocacy group. For refference, just look at any attempts of my use of sarcasm & the recipients treating me as such.

Best regards...

*******DISCLAIMER---if ANY children(or children rapists) suffering from abuse are reading this, it is not the intent of the writer to abuse, subjugate ( I know another multi-syllabic word, which is NOT intended to be of esoteric or pedantic nature..sighs...I merely expect the reading audience to have a post 4th grade vocabulary) or disenfranchise your cause...it is merely used as a comedic reply to a satirical post....TY, in advance for your cooperation...

Delicately helping those fragile souls who suffer from hair loss, w/motherly nourishment & care.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ron J,

Post whatever you want in this thread; I don't get butthurt on the internet. icon_biggrin.gif

I think my application of this hair mascara is getting a little better. "Less is more" definitely applies here. Rather than try to drown the entire area in it, I've been lightly coating and blending in, leaving a few areas more patchy rather than force it. Leaving some of the scar visible may actually draw less attention to it.

Definitely ordering me some derm though.

NewScar.jpg

-------

My advice is goin with the #2 everywhere except the back and go with a #3 or #4, I believe it is too visible. Otherwise, you look fantastic.