Does Propecia Shrinks the Penis?

endoftherope

I've been doing some research on Propecia and have been finding some disturbing stuff concerning the importance of DHT and the penis. It seems that DHT is the hormone that drives the penile spongy tissue (sinusoids) to grow, to repair and to erect.

The penile size is determined by the DHT receptors and concentration in the spongy tissues and capillaries, the Acetylcholine/NO level in the penile parasympathetic nerves/endings, and cardiovascular pumping.

When you inhibit DHT, your DHT receptors die, the DHT level in your penile tissues drops, or your parasympathetic nervous function produces insufficient Nitrus Oxide in the nervous endings of the arteries, and your penis shrinks.

Any drugs which drop the DHT production in the penile tissues will weaken your erection and shrink your penis.

Read the reviews Propecia has received on this site:

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20788&name=PROPECIA

(by the way, this site is great to read before you take any drug)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the problems with sites like "askapatient" is that most of the people who post their are going to be having problems, and there is a tremendous skew between what you read and reality.

Want a broader example? Go to google, and type in "Bigfoot". You'll get at least 10 million hits. Try and find ONE site that even suggests that Bigfoot aren't real. The trouble is, that sane people aren't creating bigfoot sites, so taking your que from Internet sites you could ONLY conclude that Bigfoot are real.

People on Propecia without issues aren't seeking out sites to declare that. Instead you're getting people with real issues, and probably a lot of others who merely think they have issues. How can you credit what you read?

mark h

My information was not pulled from askapatient but actual scientific studies during both human trials and rat trials. Askapatient simply verified these findings in the real world (which is I why I posted the link). I always perfer to hear real world feedback.

Give me a day or two and I will compile all my research and provide links to the information that is available online. My sources are credible.

Really, it shouldn't be much of a surprise that finasteride shrinks the penil glands and the penis itself. One of the drug's original objectives is to help shrink the prostate.

Any drugs which drop the DHT production in the penile tissues will weaken your erection and shrink your penis.

So does that mean that drugs that increase DHT will enlarge your penis?

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

• 3 weeks later...

Cmon

Is this for real? I've been taking it since 98 or so without any side effects.. If shrinkage on your genitals was a viable sde effect Merk would print it to avoid being sued.

This is a bit of a reach

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

True

But then we wouldnt be men !

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Mark H:

One of the problems with sites like "askapatient" is that most of the people who post their are going to be having problems, and there is a tremendous skew between what you read and reality.

This is exactly right. That's why so many people on hair loss forums give Propecia a bad rap. Because the first place people run when they have a problem is the forums. That's not a bad thing at all, but it does offer a skewed perception at times. Generally, if everything is going well, a person doesn't think to post about it.

BTW, I'm a young guy (28) and I have been on Avodart for 2 years now with no such side effects. Avodart inhibits both types of DHT, while Propecia only inhibits type II.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Yes, try going to Healthboards.com if you can stomach it. They attract every kind of nut, and hypochondriac, and sensible discourse isn't even possible.

I follow a number of health/cholesterol boards, and the desperate effort to cling to suedo science is pathetic. It is incredible how much people will BS themselves to justify eating a cheeseburger. Conversely, every drug on the market is a conspiracy between doctors and the big drug companies.

mark

Mark,

Click on the "Go" button located near the top left of your screen. It has a little compass beside it.

After you click on "Go," mouse over "Personal zone and click on "Profile" in the little menu that appears. Now click on "View/Edit Complete Profile" located over on the right.

Scroll down to "Avatar/Picture URL" and click on "Edit"

You can use one of the supplied avatars or upload your own from a URL or from your computer, as long as it is no larger than 60x60 pixels.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hi Mark...I actually posted a detailed response to you on this on another post...but I'll post it here again. Robert's post is good...but since I wrote a lot of detail, I figured it was worth posting again:

Mark...you are my test subject with this Folligen stuff. Believe me, I hope it works for you! I might try it after my HT grows in....I'm just going to follow the advice of my doc and not use it while healing.

LOL on the avatar. It's pretty easy to add one that's built-in...a little more techy to add one of your own. Let me see if I can post the instructions for you:

1. At the top of this page on the left hand corner, click "Go" then "personal zone" then "profile". They will act as drop down boxes and you will have to click on "profile"

2. On the right hand side of your profile, click "View/Edit Complete Profile"

3. Scroll down until you see "Avatar / Picture URL:" and choose the option there (I don't know if it's "Add" or "Edit" - Mine says edit but I'm thinking that's because I have one there already"

4. A popup box will come up. You can either choose one of the ones listed or add your own. If you are putting up your own you have to choose "Custom Avatar", otherwise just click on the one you want. You can click "next" to continue scrolling through avatars and click on the one you want.

5. After you've selected your avatar...click the "Select this one" button.

6. Click on the "Close" button to close the window

7. On your profile page, scroll down to the bottom and click "submit".

That should do the trick.

I didn't post all the instructions for adding your own avatar. If you are going to add your own, you will have to find a photo on your computer and resize it to 60 X 60 pixels. then you can follow the above instructions and upload your own following the on-screen instructions that I didn't include.

I hope this helps

Bill

With regard to propecia shrinking your penis, I believe I have lost about three inches of erect penis lenght, which amounts to about an inch a year. When I get down to 9 inches next year, I may consider cutting back to half a pill a day.