One Year...

creepingback

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Creeping,

You still have plenty of time to improve, I am at 6 1/2 months and am starting to see things moving better now. I think you may be a late bloomer and your hair color makes it hard to see the new hairs in their early stages of growth.

Good luck,

NoBuzz

You should do a quick sanity check to see if the transplanted density is indeed around 40/cm2. Get a tape measure and meaure out a rough triangle or rectangle of the transplanted area and divide that with the amount of grafts you got.

Looking at the pics it might be a bit less than 40/cm2 and coupled that with the fine tecture of your hair and the area that is need to be covered, the results could be a bit thinner than you originally expected. But pictures can be deceiving. You should PM Gorpy, he is good at estimating these sorts of things.

I mean when you consulted with H &W, how many grafts did they recommended?

Hi Creepingback,

Looking at your 2 week post-op, I can pretty clearly see where the grafts were implanted. It appears you covered an area of at least 70 cm2. If you only got 2080 grafts, then you are looking at an average density of about 30 per cm2. Plus, just eyeballing it, I would say that 30 per/cm2 looks about right.

Combine that with your fine hair characteristics and you end up with coverage, but somewhat thin coverage. Having said that, you are still early at 7 months. Although most of your grafts have probably sprouted, they are still very immature and wispy. They will mature and the hair shaft diameter will thicken over the next year. So you are nowhere near your final result now.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hey,

thanks for your responses, I did the calculations and I seem to have an area of 50 cm2 that was covered...I traced it out using clear plastic as well to be certain I measured the widest width and the longest point and got 12w 6L and it worked out in both cases to be about 50cm2... does this seem accurate? giving me around 40 per cm2...maybe some just didnt take...

Originally posted by creepingback:

I measured the widest width and the longest point and got <span class="ev_code_RED">12w 6L</span> and it worked out in both cases to be about 50cm2... does thing seem accurate? giving me around 40 per cm2...maybe some just didnt take...

Uh... You said 12 by 6, right? Isn't that 72cm2 NOT 50cm2? If so, Gorpy is right.

yes that's 72 but luckily he made my hairline a U shape rather then a rectangle... I traced a U on paper using 12 by 6 as reference points, then graphed it out into cm2 and counted out 50 which was the same number I got when I traced it out.

OK cool. Makes sense now.

Also, dO you know your donor density? I mean to create the illusion of density, the recipient should be about 50% of original density.

If we assume original density is your donor density to be say 90/cm2 then in order to achieve illusion of density, the recipient should be planted with around half of that i.e. 45ish.

But ofcourse if your donor density was 80/cm2 then transplanting 40/cm2 should be ok.

In the end, 7 months is still not the end results. I'm sure more thickening will come. Thanks for sharing your progress.

These things can be difficult to calculate because it's not a triangle and it's not a rectangle. It's not even a 'U'. It's more like a crecent moon.

Your post op pics are a little dark and blurry so I could be wrong in my calculations. Your 2 week picture shows an area of pinkness, which looks like more than 50cm2, but maybe the pictures are deceptive. I thought it was deeper than 6cm. A medium sized post it note is 57.76 cm2. Do you think you covered an area smaller than that?

If you only did 50cm2 of area, then yes, you got around 40 per.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

I think my pictures are a bit deceiving regarding size.....I guess my real question is after 7 months how much more growth / density can I hope for 25% 50% more...

My doctor said at 8 months I will be really happy with the results...I guess that's why I'm getting concerned now as its already 7 and only marginally better...I know it takes a year for full results...guess I just expected more...anyways thanks all for your advice.

Some people are late sprouters. Your hair shaft could thicken up quite a bit over the next 3-4 months. It's hard to say for sure.

Wow! You got a fairly small area covered. It looks larger in the picture. But now that you mention the dimensions 12x6, and it appears to be a half circle, we can calculate that area. Your radius is 6cm. Using the old pi r2 formula I come up with a 56.5 area. So, plus or minus a few and yes, you are close to 40 per cm2.

Generally I would expect 40 per cm2 to give you a bit more coverage. That's generally what I have now. But like I say, your hair shaft diameter needs to thicken more.

I might add that density also depends on hairs per graft. In other words, how many total hairs did you get, not just graft counts. If you didn't get many 3's and it sounds like you got no 4's, then that could leave you thin also.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Hey Gorpy,

I guess it is a small area...doesn't feel like it to me!

I really don't know the break down of total hair count...I am still getting pimples on my recipient area...I think I have had more the last month then the last few combined. I hoped that's a good sign.

• 5 months later...

Honestly, the result looks surprisingly thin to me -- given 2100 grafts and area covered -- especially the front, "hairline" shot. It looks much thicker in the top and side shot; though, when I compared the top shot at 1year to 5months, it didn't look that dramatically different...to me, at least. The most important thing, though, is that you yourself are pleased with the results, and you have a much clearer notion of where you where you were and where you are now.

How far back did they implant grafts, btw? I can't tell if it was frontal 1/3rd, or if it went further back towards the crown.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks for the reply Thanatopsis, I had the frontal 1/3rd done...and to be honest I am not overly pleased with the results..

I think the placement is fine but density was greatly underestimated which is disappointing as I was told I would be very happy and only need one pass for really great results... I would have much preferred to have gone for a larger number of grafts then have to go throw this all over again so soon.

creepingback,

I know it is frustrating to go thru what we go thru for such a minimal result. I do not know if in your case you had the best donor to work with. Your scar was pretty show thru for some time, glad that is better now. I think your hair shafts may be just be so fine that it is a uphill battle for coverage. I sort of have the same problem.

I do think the Doc seemed to do a good job and chances are any other Doc would have given a similar result with the same # of grafts.

I do hope you are a late bloomer and I also think you will improve further with time as this fully matures.

Good luck my friend,

NoBuzz

Creepingback,

I would have to say that for the 2100 grafts things are likely as you would suspect, especially given the texture of your hair. Even the scar is more visible than most would be. Things certainly look very natural and blend very well to native hair. I understand that it would be somewhat disappointing but things definitely do look better. It does suck, but another 1500 would make a huge difference for you.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

creepingback,

Thanks for coming back and sharing your 1 year results.

I agree with what most of our members have already told you.

It does appear a bit thin overall, but given your hair characteristics, I'm not sure that you could have achieved much more hair density with only 2100 grafts.

What are your thoughts at this point moving forward?

Bill

Thanks for all your replies... I pretty much agree with all your comments! My hair is blond and baby fine, I don't believe that was really taken into account when we had decided on the grafts needed to cover...

With that said I believe my doctor did a great job and would use him again...just kinda got my hopes up and expected to have had far more density...

I guess I well have to do it again to achieve the results I was hoping for... do you think FUE would be an option? I really don't want to deal with the scar again....guess its time to start saving again.

Fue will further thin your donor which could make it more difficult to cover the strip scar you already have. Yield would scare me too, since strip seems to be safer for the follicles. Throw in the expense and I think that strip is better since they will take out the old scar and who knows maybe produce a better one. Yep save up, maybe H&W is worth checking out next time?

NoBuzz

I think the work looks very clean.. Again with 2000 plus you will get a nice foundation but it is not going to give you a complete look with his degree of loss and hairtype. It's tough to judge in the beginning..

As far as scrutiny, I think it is ironic that we get SO many people complaining about horrible doctors and butchering but when we provide a list of proven credible docs, we are called biased.

Of course there are other non coalition docs which can provide superior results. I dont see anyone on here claiming these are the only ones who can. What I do see is a list of proven , ethical doctors with a documented track record with real live people to support it.. If someone wants to risk their money and head with someone else, by all means, do it . BUT without any reviews or documentation you are basing your decision on assumption and that we have seen can be dangerous.You don't really know what you will get as far as quality.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!