Coping with a bad hair transplant...

Have to say until i started to read this forum my bodged up job hadnt bothered me for years,shave it off wear a cap grow a goatee,no problem.

But then i started too see some of the great results that most of you have had that write on this site and now im starting to feel like crap.

Really pleased for other hairloss suferer`s who have had some brilliant results but at the same time im thinking shit if only i could of had work done like that.

I should think that the best that i could get is to fix it rather than create a nice decent hairstyle.

For years the best way to cope was basically forget about it,when i look in the mirror it doesn`t bother me at all but im sure other people would think what the hell happened to you.Without a sense of humour ,good family and mates this could of got on top of me but luckily it didn`t.Feeling like crap through jealousy of others who have had good work is not so bad,falling into deep depression is another thing altogether and i would never let that happen to me because of my bad experience with the surgeon who was nuts and was not too good at his day job.

It does change your life in many respects but you cannot let it dictate it either,for others who have had a nightmare under the knife,bugger it life goes on....

Don't start feeling too despondant; MANY of the brilliant results you mention seeing are OF "repair patients". I don't believe that because you had a botched HT you are relegated to, at best, simply getting something half-way decent.

Jotronic is a notable repair patient who has had an amazing recovery; the recent BadHairUK whose latest results are around this forum is another. BadHairUK had just brutal minigrafts and a ravaged frontal 1/3rd -- he now has a REALLY sweet head of hair.

You seem to have a really strong mentality, btw, all around, for dealing w/ your unfortunate HT-dilemma. I really wouldn't feel permananetly "meh", though, just because of it. I have seen some amazing repair jobs!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

The idea of being one of those who would be an ?‚??AMAZING REPAIR JOB`,Is something which anyone who has had bad work done does hold on to the hope that maybe oneday he will stop looking like his head is on back to front and be able to walk around in public without a cap on.

I think over the next year or so i will finacially hoping try and get something done but being a normal working guy with a mortgage ,wife kid maybe the repair work will be only on our apartment....

exibel, first off, considering your results and your attitude in dealing with them, it seems that you have mastered the hardest part already. Congratulations to you on that.

Find the right plan for repair. You have to make sure that the procedure you determine to pursue is the best one. It will probably take multiple evaluations to accurately determine whats best.

Once you've determined this (how many grafts, where they are coming from, etc..) you should always keep in mind whoever is working on you is someone who will have compassion for your predicament (if they don't then don't go near them) Ask them for a discounted rate on your repair. Many guys cannot afford their repair jobs, and considering their desperate situations, many are given discounted rates.

You certainly deserve that much mate.

• 3 months later...

Yes, I'm feeling the pain these days as well. As I just got a repair job 9 months ago, and things aren't looking very good so far, no growth and shockloss. I think I might be just a couple yrs away from a really abnormal appearance. I'm constantly looking at my hair. At this point I just want to get my scars filled in and forget it. This one has definatly ruined my confidnece completley, and I'm staying away from the opposite sex altogether.

• 1 month later...

dude, dont get down. save up your cash and go see dr. hasson, cooley, or feller. Or any coalition doctor with experience in repair and who achieves density with a megasession.

hardcore long-term veteran of hack plug doctors to ultra refined coalition doctors.

knowledgeable about show business hair transplants

• 6 months later...

I am about 8 months out of HT repair. Very little results. I know it takes a couple of sessions for refinements to really establish appearance.

Does any one know the best way to hide a ht scar. I have had about 6 reductions and they all seem to stretch. I do have an extraordinary tight scalp.

I like short hair and have to keep close to an inch in the sides and back to cover the 2 scars.

I am going in for tattoo work. Maybe in 5 to 10 years my scalp will have the needed laxity and then I will have the pencil line scar.

Is there fake hair or something a surgeon can put in a scar? I hate to waste money on grafts as I heard there is very little success in a hardened scar area.

It is really disappointing when anybody invests so much money, time and hope in to a procedure and they come away with either no results or a set of new problems. I totally understand your feelings but I hope you can try not to let it bother you too much. You said you felt fine before reading this board. Please keep in mind often pictures can be misleading. Some hair transplants look good in pictures but very see through in person. I hope you get back to feeling good again. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

wantego,

i'm getting a vibe from you that you are not 100% happy with your HT.

last time i checked your pics, it looked good.

what happened? can you explain what you are not satisfied with?

also few "fresh" pics of your current situation would be interesting to check out.

thanks

Originally posted by wantego:

It is really disappointing when anybody invests so much money, time and hope in to a procedure and they come away with either no results or a set of new problems. I totally understand your feelings but I hope you can try not to let it bother you too much. You said you felt fine before reading this board. Please keep in mind often pictures can be misleading. Some hair transplants look good in pictures but very see through in person. I hope you get back to feeling good again. icon_smile.gif

I totally agree with that. I had a transplant in June of 08 which does not look bad in pictures, but when I take my hat off in work all of my obnoxioious,yet honest co- workers ask me, what the f--- happened to your head, it looks like pubic hair. I've actually had a second procedure in March of this year. Unfortunately, I still won't walk to my mailbox without a hat because I just moved a year ago and none of my new neighbors have saw me without a hat. I have no choice but to take my hat of at work or I would never be caught in public with my hair the way it looks right now. I'm just hopeing for a miracle in the next couple of months, but as time goes on, I'm starting to wonder what I'm going to do. I just don't know where I went wrong. Both of my surgeries were with very reputable doctors. I'm starting to wonder if all the before and after pics are similiar to my situation.Now, I went to Feller because everybody raves about him. I sincerely hope you guys did not mislead me. So for now, I'm crossing my fingers.

Originally posted by John Malloy:

Now, I went to Feller because everybody raves about him. I sincerely hope you guys did not mislead me.

This thread has come back to life after a while but, at risk of going off the topic started by exibel, I wanted to add one thing to John Malloy - you shouldn't feel misled by anyone, least of all members of this community. Those of who did our research properly need to take ownership for our decisions and responsibility for the outcome. No results are guaranteed. But I am keeping my fingers crossed for you too: you are barely four months out, so give it time.

For those who posted a while back, e.g. zhiangde, it would be good to hear if things have now improved.

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

I wanted to add one thing to John Malloy - you shouldn't feel misled by anyone, least of all members of this community. Those of who did our research properly need to take ownership for our decisions and responsibility for the outcome. No results are guaranteed. Quote

First, I think I was misunderstood before--maybe it's me, but I feel as though everytime I post my sentiment about my HT's so far, I immediately get attacked. It's confusing because I don't know who's who on this forum. Some guys are patients or possible patients like me, and others are paid represenatives for the docs. Either way, the only thing I've conveyed on this forum to date is my personal experience with Ht's to date--that is undebateable.

Anyway, in regards to your post. while it is clear that nothing is guaranteed, you give the impression that I have unrealistic expectations. My only expectation at this point is that after 2 Ht's, when I was an early NW 3, with in Feller's words "pristine donor hair" is that I can go outside without a hat and not look silly. As far as guarantee's, after extensive research on Feller--most of it from this forum--, the common belief is that Feller only has approximately 2 patients year that don't grow. Assuming he does 200 cases a year-- that leaves me with a 99% chance of growth. I'm not sure my odds are that good to make it home from an afternoon drive tommorrow--But, I damn sure expect to be home tomorrow. I don't think that is unrealistic.

First, I think I was misunderstood before--maybe it's me, but I feel as though everytime I post my sentiment about my HT's so far, I immediately get attacked. It's confusing because I don't know who's who on this forum. Some guys are patients or possible patients like me, and others are paid represenatives for the docs. Either way, the only thing I've conveyed on this forum to date is my personal experience with Ht's to date--that is undebateable.

Anyway, in regards to your post. while it is clear that nothing is guaranteed, you give the impression that I have unrealistic expectations. My only expectation at this point is that after 2 Ht's, when I was an early NW 3, with in Feller's words "pristine donor hair" is that I can go outside without a hat and not look silly. As far as guarantee's, after extensive research on Feller--most of it from this forum--, the common belief is that Feller only has approximately 2 patients year that don't grow. Assuming he does 200 cases a year-- that leaves me with a 99% chance of growth. I'm not sure my odds are that good to make it home from an afternoon drive tommorrow--But, I damn sure expect to be home tomorrow. I don't think that is unrealistic.

John - I am not a rep, paid or unpaid. I am a patient of the same clinic, one month ahead of you, that's all. My post was not intended to attack you and I am sorry if you gained that impression. As I said in my post, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you too.

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

Hey Acrobaz,

I apologize if my post was harsh. While it is too early to judge my Ht with Feller, I'm emotionally wounded from my first Ht, and grow more skeptical everyday I don't see growth from my second. I do understand I've been a pessimistic voice about Ht's on the forum lately, but trust me, if this turns out ok in a couple of months, I'll be Feller's best advertisement since the internet. Once again, I will be a constant voice about Ht's for a long time. And that goes whether the news is good or bad. I feel that is the right thing to do. I wish I would have done more research before my first HT. Anyway, I want to reiterate that I'm sorry for so harsh. I am just so stressed out and I've been like this since my first HT.

J. Malloy - Hey, I hear you. I had a bad Bosley HT and lived under a hat for a few years. Those stupid minigrafts. I can still see those suckers if I cut my hair too short. I still wear a hat most of the time. And so now I have to go for HT #4 sometime in the near future, with the hope that THIS one will allow me to ditch the hat for good, let me cut my hair a little shorter, etc...

<sigh>

To be honest, I am a member on this board who probably would NOT have embarked down this road had I fully understood the commitment required. At age 22, when Bosley got me, I did not really understand the concept of lifetime commitment. I could have just cut it short and never looked back. The pain would have passed once I got beyond the Bozo phase. Nothing fights the Bozo phase like a good pair of clippers or just a very short and trim cut. Of course in the 90's this was not as accepted as it is today.

Now of course there is no turning back from the HT road once embarked upon. I just get so sick of having to consider whether or not those stupid Bosley mini's are visible, whether the scar can be seen, etc...

I really do think one more good HT and I will be set up really well. But damn... What if the mini's are STILL visible after the next one?? THEN what??? Plus, the scar is a little more visible then I would prefer for a portion of the length. Not horrible, but it limts my hair to about an inch minimum.

It is odd, because if my hair is an inch or more, the HTs look great! They have been small HT's. 132 from Bosley, and then 1100 + 2000 from a recomended surgeon. A surgeon who did good work, by the way, it's just that covering those stupid mini's takes a LOT of density.

I'm down on HT's at the moment because I cut my hair too short. @$#%!.

That's right. I STILL cut my own hair. Maybe the next one will be the one that allows me to go to a barber like a normal person.

But having said all this, though, if you are only 4 months out of your last repair, you are PRECISELY in the 'pubic hair' phase, so I would not let THAT concern you.

For me on this next one, I am going to do scalp excercises like crazy, and hopefully get 2500-3000 with a nice safe closure to eliminate the scar issue.I REALLY want a good closure.

I am lucky in that I have taken a conservative approach. There are a lot of people here who are super aggressive. They are getting HT's STARTING at a pattern of hairloss that I am shooting for as a FINAL pattern (about a 3V). I just don't agree with this, personally. It's setting up for future problems. Some think they won't care what they look like when they are 40,50,60,etc. My guess is that they WILL find out otherwise.

Lately I read all this stuff about donor thinning and it scares the crap out of me.

Sorry to rant. Anyhow have a good day. - Stimpy

Originally posted by Stimpson:

H&W or Cooley. I would like to emphasize that the 2nd and 3rd procedures were good, just not enough to cover the bad Bosley work if I cut my hair too short.

Stimpy,

Who did your second and third procedures? Why are you not using him again?

Stimpy

Parsley did HT's two and three. Great work, too. A lot of mileage from a small number of grafts. I just want to go with somebody who has a reputation for getting MORE grafts, really. Parsley is kind of a smaller session guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Acrobaz,

I apologize if my post was harsh. While it is too early to judge my Ht with Feller, I'm emotionally wounded from my first Ht, and grow more skeptical everyday I don't see growth from my second. I do understand I've been a pessimistic voice about Ht's on the forum lately, but trust me, if this turns out ok in a couple of months, I'll be Feller's best advertisement since the internet. Once again, I will be a constant voice about Ht's for a long time. And that goes whether the news is good or bad. I feel that is the right thing to do. I wish I would have done more research before my first HT. Anyway, I want to reiterate that I'm sorry for so harsh. I am just so stressed out and I've been like this since my first HT.

The 3 - 6 month time was the worst for me. But, I still noticed thickening up to 14 months or so. I felt like things really started to happen around month 7 or 8.

Mine was a little different, as Cooley completely took out a couple rows in the my front of the old transplant and most of the unnatural ones in my crown. So, for a few months I did look more thin than before, but it really looks natural now.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by triffid:

Hi East Coast, I have also developed a wide scar from my 2nd HT. I just had my 3rd and am not exercising (Weigh training)for months until Im sure that all is normal back there!

I too am stressed about it if I allow myself to be.. How does it compare to mine?

Hi Triffid,

I was about the same size scar. I had an open wound for months and the original ht doctor could not touch it till it healed as working with a wound leads to larger opening. Please remember that surgeons were only doing say 3 mils at a time on my last 3. Never try the whole scar because it may get even wider. The t - closure did not work

Hi,

It is normal that hair may be lost as a shock result on HT's procedure, but normally after 7-9 months it grows again, so you have to wait some time and see...

For the scar: The wider the scar is the worse the closure would be and the bigger the scar will be, we usually recommend max 1.4cm width in donor area and we can get up to 27 cm length strip, which gives us about 2500-3000 grafts, and this amount it enough to cover big area of bald. When we do the HT, scar area almost invisible. Hope this answer may satisfy you

Cordially

Dr. Nida & Larry Fremont@ Physician's Hair Loss Clinics in Toronto/Richmond Hill