How long before using clippers?

So when I got my transplant done a couple of weeks ago, on the directions it said not to use hair clippers for 6 months! Is this true? Should we wait 6 month's before using any kind of hair clippers? I'm kinda screwed because that's all I use to use to cut my hair. Haven't gotten my hair cut by someone in like a decade (no joke). Just found it easier to cut it myself with the use of clippers. just like to hear from others if they waited this long... Also, how long before using your own type of shampoo and conditioner? I've been using this shampoo they gave me to use for the past 2 weeks and now I'm flaking big time.

So when I got my transplant done a couple of weeks ago, on the directions it said not to use hair clippers for 6 months! Is this true? Should we wait 6 month's before using any kind of hair clippers? I'm kinda screwed because that's all I use to use to cut my hair. Haven't gotten my hair cut by someone in like a decade (no joke). Just found it easier to cut it myself with the use of clippers. just like to hear from others if they waited this long... Also, how long before using your own type of shampoo and conditioner? I've been using this shampoo they gave me to use for the past 2 weeks and now I'm flaking big time.

Who in the world told you not to use clippers for 6 months? I used clippers on the donor area about 4 days after surgery to buzz it all down just to make my head even. I admit, I didn't really touch the recipient area with clippers until about month 2, but the rule of thumb is, it's best to get a haircut in the recipient area until about 1 month post op, give or take.

You can also techincally use your own shampoo and conditioner pretty much right away...as long as it's not heavily medicated shampoo or conditioner. Normal washing typically resumes around day 7 and you are safe to use MOST hair products at that point.

Bill

Guest Cousin_It

Christian...

Seems odd to me too. When I had my staples taken out at 2 weeks my doctor told me I should have my hair clipped. Rather than have it done, I bought a clipper set and did it myself. I plan to do that until things grow out well enough to go to the sylist. I think you should obtain a clarification from your doctor on this. BTW, who is your doctor?

I knew that sounded kinda funny...I did get some grafts done on the side of my head as well so I might wait the 2 months before doing anything. The shampoo stuff that they gave me has made my entire scalp really dry and flaky. Dr. Ochs in Cali was my Doctor but his staff was the one who gave me the directions to follow. Thanks for responding guys, I can't wait to use my shampoo/conditioner tonight!

I remember reading on another forum something about using clippers on your hair in general isn't good for it due to the vibration or something. But being that MANY people buzz the sides and back of their hair (not the top), and don't lose their hair in that area, I don't believe it holds any water. And being that transplanted grafts become permanent hair no later than 10 days, there should be no issues icon_wink.gif

Bill

• 6 years later...
I want to use clippers but oddly enough I was told not to after my transplant for 12 months! Only scissor cuts until then. Never thought at the time to ask why.

Same here. I used it anyway, twice so far, first time after 2 months. I was careful on the recipient area and tried to touch the skin as little as possible, and with the plastic cover on of course. I had to do it because with new and old hair my head looked like one hot mess. I will now probably leave it as it is for a couple of months.

Medical Park Hospital in Istanbul. I feel pleased with their work although I am only nearly 3 months since the transplant. At the moment things look a little sparse but I can see new hairs coming through so I am keeping confident.

Medical Park Hospital in Istanbul. I feel pleased with their work although I am only nearly 3 months since the transplant. At the moment things look a little sparse but I can see new hairs coming through so I am keeping confident.

That's strange, I've never heard of waiting so long to use clippers. It really doesn't make any sense, I think a generally conservative and reasonable time frame would be to wait until 1 month post-op before cutting the recipient area with clippers. Maybe they're just super conservative, I don't know.

And at 3 months post-op you should only really be back to where you were pre-op, so nothing to worry about yet. Good luck and happy growing!

i think the rationale against using clippers on the transplanted hair is that clippers, if not oiled up or used properly, may accidentally pull hairs... and since those roots are potentially delicate, doctors errr on the side of caution... some put the date out 6 months from transplant, as a rule of thumb

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Iv shaved mine from month 1. With no problems, just gently for the first 3 months! Iv shaved mine every week and the dr said it's actually good to keep it shaved tight! There would be less pulling then when using a lot of styling products, particularly when trying to style the course untrained new hair !! U can dye it at 3 months post op so shaving won't be a problem!!! It can't pull out grafts, after 14 days there just like the rest of your hair grafts that were never touched!!! I would however be careful for the first 4 weeks!!!

The clipper heads can rust and also collect grime so it is important to keep the edges lubricated. Even just a drop or two of vegetable oil on the edges is all it takes.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 year later...
Who in the world told you not to use clippers for 6 months? I used clippers on the donor area about 4 days after surgery to buzz it all down just to make my head even. I admit, I didn't really touch the recipient area with clippers until about month 2, but the rule of thumb is, it's best to get a haircut in the recipient area until about 1 month post op, give or take.

You can also techincally use your own shampoo and conditioner pretty much right away...as long as it's not heavily medicated shampoo or conditioner. Normal washing typically resumes around day 7 and you are safe to use MOST hair products at that point.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago with Dr Koray Erdogan, and he suggested to start using a clipper 5 months post op, and until than i should cut my hair only with scissors.

You have a lot of experience and from my logic, it seems normal to start using a clipper again after one month post op. can you please tell me your opinion from your experience?

Thanks,

Hi Bill,

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago with Dr Koray Erdogan, and he suggested to start using a clipper 5 months post op, and until than i should cut my hair only with scissors.

You have a lot of experience and from my logic, it seems normal to start using a clipper again after one month post op. can you please tell me your opinion from your experience?

Thanks,

My post op sheet says almost the same thing, after 5 months, for the recipient, for the donor you can go. Hope it helps!

IMHO, once the area has healed and not painful to the touch, you'll be fine.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY