Shedding After Quitting Smoking?

Maxxy

Has anyone suffered a shed after quitting smoking?

I plan to stop smoking, however, now isn't the best time for me to risk a shed... should I go ahead and quit or wait until a more appropriate time?

Maxxy,

I don't smoke so I can't answer this question from experience. But is there a reason you're asking this question? What I mean is, has anyone told you that they've experienced a hair shed after they quit smoking? I've honestly never heard of this before.

In my opinion, the health benefits of quitting far outweigh any potential shedding. Besides, there are some additional risks for those who smoke before and after hair transplant surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey Bill, Spex,

No, I've never read nor have I been told by anyone that stopping smoking can induce a shed but Spex has actually touched on the reason for my thinking it possibily could. If smoking hinders blood flow then quitting will increase it, may be this could induce a shed?

I agree, I am probably being a little bit paranoid... I have some other questions coming and believe me, they get worse, haha.

well smokers usually use cigarettes to relieve stress.. so you will probably become more stressed out while you're trying to quit.. maybe that could lead to a shedding or pulling out more of your hairs lol.. I dont think it'll be anything you'd notice though...

Brentipold,

I've never really smoked more or less when stressed, I'm 100% quitting just now would be a really bad time for me to go through a shedding phase.

Spex,

The second of my some what strange questions can be found here -here- :-S lol

• 8 months later...

I really wish Dr. Lindsey would chime in. IIRC, he did a study related to smoking/nicotine and bloodflow in the scalp and it was a fairly big difference.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Never heard that before. The only thing I can GUESS is that smoking causes problem with blood circulation. By quitting smoking it is possible with improved circulation to the scalp this may cause your hair to shed. When ever you start a new treatment (minoxidil) it is possible that hair will shed at the beginning. Although its different Minoxidil cause better blood circulation to the hair while quitting smoking in a smaller way may do the same.

this is what i saw

Recently, some studies using a digital phototrichogram (Trichoscan, Marburg, Germany) proved that there was indeed a quantifiable increase in shedding and a corresponding loss of hair density in the first 3 months of minoxidil use. However, by the 6 month stage the subjects were shown to have regrown the lost hair and had increased hair density compared to that recorded at the start of treatment. By 12 months after starting minoxidil use their hair density was much improved and the diameter of the hair fibers was thicker than at the start of treatment and as compared to controls who did not receive treatment

Although I am not sure why its happening. If indeed you are shedding because you have quite smoking then it may be a good thing in the future.

Again this is my opinion.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

smoking also has statistically significant effects on sex hormone ratios; i.e., your HPTA will likely fluctuate more than usual afterwards to adapt to the change.

Maybe many of you other guys aren't like me, but my hair is super sensitive to any change in my system that isn't transitory. My hair is so used to my diligent routine that anything, anything has the potential to throw me into a shed. So, if you're like me, a shed is def possible.

But obviously quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself. Every shmoke is another axe blow to your lifespan. And that's not even propaganda, man. It's really bad for you and it will never hit home til you get the bill. But then it's too late.

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

hello chaps,being a smoker for more than 30 years and haveing tried to give up god knows how many times i have come to the conclusion that 1/ theres never a bad time to give up, 2/smokers who are'nt really serious about giveing up always put off quiting for any reason possible such as a up comeing event that you could'nt possibly make it threw without your fags, 3/ you always try to justify with some perfetic excuse why you started again, i know its hard as i'm just in the process of trying again, i'd rather live and be bald than die and miss out on the future i could possibly have,all have a good day.....

In thirty years, Ihave never heard of someone experiencing a shed from quitting smoking. I quit myself and never lost any hair over it.;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I eat too much spicy bbq and it makes me shed. Not literally, but you get my point.

My hair is so sensitive to disruptions that even the slightest disturbance in the status quo can precipitate a shed.

One time I missed two consecutive days of minoxidil because I was on a trip with no personal space. It took a looong time to live that one down. Maybe I'm the only one like that, though.

In conclusion, thank God for Toppik.

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

In conclusion, thank God for Toppik.

LOL! I've got to try this stuff!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Dude - stop smoking. My doc specifically warned me about it. Who knows if it really has any effect, but if it does, you’ll be kicking yourself in the rear for losing any of those babies. And you’ll probably feel better.

• 2 weeks later...

I think smokeless tobacco and cigarettes are both very harmful. I've read they mess up the nerves and cause longer times to heal during surgeries. Even tissue growth is reduced. So, by quitting, I think you wont lose hair but probably prevent it from receding rapidly. Maybe that's why some surgeons ask did you smoke couple days before or months before a procedure due to some of those factors? A cigarette has so many toxins, there are a couple ones that causes hairloss in it. The cigarette smoke alone reaching your scalp can probably thin out your hair or make you recede. But there are 4000 harmful chemicals in a cigarette, and around 50 or so are carcinogenic. That's some pretty serious stuff. I'd rather not put any tobacco in my system. By stopping it all completely, it's for the better. It probably takes anywhere between 3 months to 4-5 years for complete recovery depending on your age and smoking level I believe. Lungs take 4-5 years to fully clear of the tar and toxins. If you don't stop now you'll never know how it feels like to have healthy lungs again or how it feels like to breathe at full capacity. I think if you are to spend thousands on getting your hair back through hair restoration, quitting a cigarette is just as important for optimal growth and getting your money's worth.

I have a condition called Raynaud's syndrome which causes excessive constriction of the blood vessels in the hands upon exposure to cold temperatures, which causes discolouration along with pain and tingling. I find that the symptoms are visibly worsened by smoking. Obviously not everyone has this condition and the effects of smoking won't be as noticeable in most people, but I feel like in having a sensitive vascular disorder like this I can see the effects, in extreme, of what smoking can do.

I've read that some people with more severe cases of this disorder (and other related disorders) actually lose hair in the effected areas - be it the hands, feet, or arms and legs.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Unless you are already in a routine, regular cardiovascular workouts may help increase the blood flow to your hands.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY