Am I going bald?

I started thinning just like that... on the vertex, diffuse, with absolutely no hairline recession. It was stable for a while, then it progressed rapidly. In retrospect, I wish I started finasteride / minox at that early point.

Go get an opinion from a professional, and a second and a third one if it's unclear. Never accept a "you're gonna be o.k." answer.

Then if you have Male Pattern Baldness (which I'm 99% sure in all honesty) get on meds a.s.a.p. and never stop. You'll save TONS of hair and money if you start meds at that early point.

Do you have MPB cases in your family?

Yes. My father started losing his hair at around the same age as me.

I first had a receding hairline. No "natural remedies" were working so I decided to finally try rogaine and after 4 months or so the hair in front started to grow back.

But now that my hairline is starting to come back I'm losing hair in the middle which is extremely frustrating.

I'm off health care so I cant afford to see a dermatologist and whenever I asked my Doctor or Dermatologist they gave me the stupid "you're gonna be ok" answer.

Should I continue use of Rogain and apply it to the new thinning areas? Or should I use something else as well or instead?

I would apply minoxidil wherever you notice thinning hair, and would get a proscar prescription today. I would never stop minox since you know it's working (you wouldn't believe the hair shedding you would experience if you stop it, trust me...) Minox will help hair growth and thickening, but will not stop MPB alone (follicle miniaturization). Finasteride will slow / stop MPB at the root. They complement each other. I think that for a start, 1/4 proscar (1.25mg) every other day would do wonder.

The "it" factor will be consistency... so try not to miss a dose or an application... and consider yourself lucky to start meds at this point icon_smile.gif

I'm happy to tell you that you're about to save yourself an incredible amount of energy and money, not trying to reconstruct what would have been destroyed otherwise, if the meds work as they should...

Good luck

Before you start taking Fin. I suggest you speak with your GP to make sure your not suffering from some hidden ailement, thyrode, anemia, vit.B defitiant, etc., Never take any sort of medications without consulting you Dr. first. Everybody is differnt! Good luck young man.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

If you grew some hair while on Rogaine then you will lose it once you stop. Same rule applies for Propecia (finasteride). So stay on Rogaine if it has worked for you and get on Propecia asap. It's the best medical combo on the market.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Dude, get Proscar and cut them into 4ths. It's the same drug as Propecia (Finasteride) but a larger dosage. I spend about $25 a month. Much cheaper than Propecia. In fact, some people get prescribed generic Proscar and pay about $5-$10 a month.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 3 months later...

Don't worry about the side effects too much. Finasteride leaves your system very quickly, so if the side effects are intolerable then you can stop and be back to normal in a day or so. I definitely had a lowered libido, especially for the first couple of months, but your body adjusts to the effects after a short while. Impotence is rare and also temporary. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by SERIOUS:

I would never stop minox since you know it's working (you wouldn't believe the hair shedding you would experience if you stop it, trust me...)

No, this is simply not true. Everyone is different and I'm a perfect example. Minox worked fantastic for me but after 3 years I ended back where I started on my hairloss. It didn't appear to be doing any more good so I stopped. I did not shed any more hair than the normal rate after I quit. The same for finisteride.

It's hard for anyone to say, from that single photograph, whether you're balding or aren't. For one thing, no one knows how your head looked a few years ago ??” not everyone has a great deal of natural density. If you're concerned, you should speak to a doctor (your P.C.P. ought to be all right, for this), and, if it seems reasonable, try medication.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

It's been about 9 months since I took that picture and my hair is alot worse now.

It's receded back about an inch and its really flat and thin looking now.

My father told me not to worry about it and he was wrong.

Then he told me i had to shave my head and I did.

There was no difference so i grew it out again then he said I had to cut my hair again and i did still no difference in thickness

Once again the thinning is still getting worse

So any rumors that cutting your hair will help it grow back are completely false.

Anyway the point of me posting again was I wanted to know if anyone has actually gotten any significant results from proscar before I spend alot of money it I want to know it it works at all because I've been reading about it and for some people it takes up to 2 years to work if it even works at all.

Proscar is simply generic finasteride (propecia is the name brand). You can get a prescription from your MD or any HT doc for it. I took it in my early 30s and saw no difference. I stopped it after my 2nd HT. Guys in the their 20s might respond better to it and see some re-growth, but typically the best you can expect is to halt or slow down the balding process. If you're following your father's MPB then you will likely end up just like your dad.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Originally posted by Kennith Noisewater:

Yes. My father started losing his hair at around the same age as me.

I first had a receding hairline. No "natural remedies" were working so I decided to finally try rogaine and after 4 months or so the hair in front started to grow back.

But now that my hairline is starting to come back I'm losing hair in the middle which is extremely frustrating.

I'm off health care so I cant afford to see a dermatologist and whenever I asked my Doctor or Dermatologist they gave me the stupid "you're gonna be ok" answer.

Should I continue use of Rogain and apply it to the new thinning areas? Or should I use something else as well or instead?

Do some careful searches online. You can buy generic proscar from an overseas pharmacy without a prescription. Pharmacies in singapore and India are often legit. I have used 1drugstore-online.com with good results. I think they are in France.

I dont remember the price, but you can get a year's worth of Proscar for less than $100. You quarter the pills and take 1/4 every other day.

Going to a doctor is just gooing to cost money, and get you an expensive Propecia Rx, with a monthly copay (if it is even covered) that is probably more than what you would pay buying Proscar overseas direct.