Pay in advance?

Pay in full one month prior? No that's not normal and it would prevent me from having surgery....most docs make you pay part up front. dr. feller had me pay $1000 though i think he now requires $2k.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Yeah, its not a huge deal, but I think its a bit strange. There is a 10% deposit at signing and then you must pay in full one month in advance.

If you go under the estimated amount of grafts you get a refund for the difference.

Thanks for the input.

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

sorry, i just don't get why a doc would require you to pay in full upfront. what if something happens to the doctor? how are you then to recoup your money?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I believe I paid $1000 deposit to set the date and the remaining balance 2 weeks before my surgery. So it was not a major difference for me. I thought that was pretty typical.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I don't think that's normal, and many of the best doctors in the world only require a 20% deposit to confirm your appointment. If you miss the appointment, I agree you should forfeit the deposit. However, if you have an emergency (death in the family, etc.) the last thing I'd want is to be haggling over getting my $10k back.

My doctor offered a 10% discount if paid in cash one-week prior to the surgery, so that's what I did. I trusted his reputation though, and felt confident he'd do right if such an emergency arose.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

We ask for 1500 to deposit and the rest due the day of surgery via credit card or cashiers check. For personal checks I ask for it a week prior to surgery....I had a patient bounce a check and then never return after his case a few years ago and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I actually talked to capital one who is financing this and they said most doctors require payment in advance.

However, I just found out that my surgeon doesn't accept anything but cash or credit card. Great, so now I have to pay 10 to 15% interest instead of 5%. This sucks.

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

Dr. Cole apparently requires the full payment in advance, but I don't know offhand of other physicians who do:

http://www.forhair.com/Financial_Information_form.htm

I'd be suspicious. For one, I don't pretend any knowledge of contract law, but is this even legally enforceable? And in what other profession do you pay for services completely BEFORE they're rendered?

Asking for a deposit seems more the norm...

Benjamin

ben, i don't think there's any law prohibiting a business from requiring payment in full. as a musician i have done it before because club owners can sometimes be shady. but i agree that paying upwards of $10k edit: a month in advance for cosmetic surgery is not prudent.

I have been performing cosmetic surgery for 13.5 years, and I know of no colleagues who don't require full payment before surgery. There may be some out there, but my guess is that almost every doctor doing elective cosmetic procedures expects payment before surgery.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I personally did not worry about paying 2 weeks in advance nor did I have a problem with it. I think that is how things are done for most cosmetic surgery. If you have concerns about paying some weeks in advance why not speak to your doctor and ask him what are his refund policies if you change your mind or something comes up before the surgery date?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs