Pay in advance?

Spex: I have a stupid question: Once your overseas patient arrived in your office (i'm presuming he already paid deposit) and his credit card was declined, did you perform the work anyway? If so, why? Sounds like if Mastercard/Visa/Amex had the good sense to tell him "denied", why didn't you?

No this is not normal with some of the better clinics. What happens if you have a emergency or illness?

Most clinics have a $500 deposit with a 1 week cancelation default. Then you pay after your procedure.

I will be "red flag" with full up-front payment?? I understand the economy is not so good and some might want to "lock in" revenue but not good for pay in advance.

I don't see any problem with doctors requesting full payment in advance. He has to book and pay his staff and make himself available for that day, regardless whether the patient shows up or not.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I dont think its right!What if you decide not to have the surgery afterall because you had a last minute change of heart? Now you dont have that option and i think thats why the doctors do that.

I understand that its not good wasting the doctors time but loosing a small deposit is enough they dont have to take all your money beforehand so that you dont have a chance to change your mind!!!

should we believe everything?

My clinic only required a deposit, if you cancelled a week in advance the deposit was paid back, if you did not cancel a week prior the deposit was not returned but was held for future surgery (so if you cancelled 3 days prior you would not get the deposit back, however if you booked up again 3 month down the road, the deposit would not be required as you paid it for your first booked transplant)

However, if a clinic requires you to pay it all in advance and you have a last min change of heart - as the last poster said, I think the clinic should be allowed to keep your money, the clinic has booked you in for that day so no one can be put in your place, all the staff and the doc are waiting, then you call and say "sorry I've changed my mind".

The clinic shouldn't have losses because you change your mind. (that being said if you have to cancel for reason out of your control, I feel there should be some give, such as a death in the family, flight cancellations ect)

I dont think its right!What if you decide not to have the surgery afterall because you had a last minute change of heart? Now you dont have that option and i think thats why the doctors do that.

I understand that its not good wasting the doctors time but loosing a small deposit is enough they dont have to take all your money beforehand so that you dont have a chance to change your mind!!!

should we believe everything?

Most of doctors in the Coalition are booked months in advance. They don't request full payment in advance in order to prevent you from changing your mind about HT. They have too much on their plate already. Like Maxxy said, they do it in order to pay for staff that have to show up regardless whether the patient shows up or not.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

A $1500 deposit may cover the staff costs, but then who covers the $10,000 loss the clinic has suffered from holding a spot that another patient would have took?

Like I said I believe there should be some give and take, if its no fualt on the patients side that he can't make the appointment (cancelled flight, death in family or something of that nature) then the clinic and patient should come to a fair arrangement.

But if a guy phones up at 8am on the day of his surgery and says "look I'm sorry I have changed my mind" then I believe he should be responsible for the clinics loss (staff cost and the loss suffered by not being able to fill the slot)

If I booked a flight to the states and on the day of the flight I turned up and said "I have had a change of heart I don't want to go anyone, Ive decided to say in the uk" It would then be foolish to say "can I have the flight money back, you keep my deposit". Knowing the can't fill my seat and if they can they would have to sell it at a reduced cost.

My views.

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

Yes its all about making the clinic happy.

Some of the same clincs that have that policy are the ones that butcher you and ruin your life.

Then they blame it on you and leave you in debt .

I think its bs but oh well MY clinic didnt require that.

Thats going onto a whole deffierent subject that really does not have anything to do with a clinic requesting payment in advance.

It's not about making the clinic happy, if someone cancels a surgery at the last min because they plain just had a change of heart, then the clinic is suffering a large loss simply because the patient changed their mind.

Any company/person would be p*ssed at that and expect to be paid.

A neighbour (who isn't a friend) asks you to paint his fence but on that day your at work, the neighbour says "could you please do it, I will pay you $200 in advance", so you think hey $200 thats not bad, I'll call in sick and paint the fence, the next day after you have called in sick, you turn up to paint the fence and your neighbour says "hey I've decided to leave it green, give me my $200 back". Would you give him it back - keeping in mind you have lost $180 from calling in sick to work that day?

A neighbour (who isn't a friend) asks you to paint his fence but on that day your at work, the neighbour says "could you please do it, I will pay you $200 in advance", so you think hey $200 thats not bad, I'll call in sick and paint the fence, the next day after you have called in sick, you turn up to paint the fence and your neighbour says "hey I've decided to leave it green, give me my $200 back". Would you give him it back - keeping in mind you have lost $180 from calling in sick to work that day?

First off all if you take off work to paint a fence for the same money your a terrible employee and an idot ,unless your the karate kid. icon_smile.gif

Some clinics are so understanding they will give the deposit back or let you just set another date.

I would give the money back to the neighbor and kick myself in the ass but wouldnt look down on a clinic that keeps the deposit but not the whole damn thing.

It all comes down to one thing ,do you want to take that chance and be sure your ready if that clinic is one that requires the whole payment.

Great question to start off asking

Well personally I would have done my research and not booked with Bosley, but that being said if I did and then found this site like you said, then on the morning of the surgery I cancelled saying "I found this site and you lot sound really bad. Ive decided it's not worth the risk". Yes I would ask for the money back and argue my point but I would fully expect them to say something along the lines of "you have no chance, you give us no warning you were going cancel, you have just turned up a few hours before surgery, and said you are not happy, we can't fill your spot, I suggest you take us to court"

Now I wouldn't be happy with this, but I would expect it.

Edit:

First off all if you take off work to paint a fence for the same money your a terrible employee and an idot ,unless your the karate kid

I used that purely as an example that like the clinic would be losing $10,000 by you not turning up, so would you be losing $200 by not turning up for work - if you didn't pay in advance. (but since you brought it up, maybe its a really nice day and you'd rather paint a fence in the sun for $200 then work in a sweaty dirty garage for the same money and maybe your not to happy in your job as a result you are not bothered about being a bad employee lol)

I would give the money back to the neighbor and kick myself in the ass

Maybe you would, personally I wouldn't ;-) now lets say it was $10,000 you lost would you be happy to do the same?

P.S Could I just point out, I'm not saying clinic's should charge the whole lot in advance, I DON'T think they should, but if you go with a clinic that does require full payment, you shouldn't be surprised if you call on the day of the surgery to cancel simply because you had a change of heart, that they keep the money.

Hey Guys,

Just for clarification: I will still get the money back if I cancel, even a day before the surgery. But I would lose my deposit of 10%.

I expect this is true for almost everyone.

Also, I've been told by CareCredit (one of the biggest funders of cosmetic surgery) that almost every doc requires payment in advance.

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

I guess Im just glad I went to a clinic that isnt as worried about money then me being happy.

I suppose either way is fine . I can understand its 100% business to some.

Dr Shapiro has had a few cancel in the office and there was no penalty.

Some people get in there and their anxiety takes over and they panic.

Keeping the full amount could just further ruin their lives

I really dont care about other clinics wallets just the rest of the patients life