9 months. Am I suffering from a failed hair transplant

Been 9 months now.

Though I do see growth from time to time and wouldn’t say it is not growing but it’s not surely improving 

looks worse over all (except the front) which looks manageable at the front face look level

you can check my profile for previous photos.

They should be there and I create new posts every time—some do find it not very friendly but creating new posts makes it easier for me 

been on finasteride 1mg/day

topical minoxidil 5% without alcohol 

im still in contact with the clinic so not posting their details here 

I do not know if I’ll ever recover from this or will I have to live like this for the rest of my life 

IMG_4222.jpeg

IMG_4223.jpeg

IMG_4224.jpeg

IMG_4225.jpeg

IMG_4226.jpeg

There is “some” growth but not enough to give illusion of density that one would expect. I saw your before HT photos and also immediately post HT, and feel that grafts were too spaced out to begin with. When the grafts are so spaced out and covering large area, you are not going to get the results even if all hair grow.
What is the clinic saying? There’s very little chance anything will improve from here. You will need another HT to fill in the top of your head with more density. But you need to go see one of the recommended doctors on this forum.

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

The clinic isn’t saying much.

asking to wait 

somehow they created an illusion of frontal look as better 

though not in the photos but in mirror it looks covered at least in the front 

but in light the bald spots are visible 

I’ve heard on YouTube where doctors say it can take up to 18 months to see full recovery so I’m praying that it might be the case 

IMG_4120.jpeg

IMG_4117.jpeg

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Alex Grey said:

The clinic isn’t saying much.

asking to wait 

somehow they created an illusion of frontal look as better 

though not in the photos but in mirror it looks covered at least in the front 

but in light the bald spots are visible 

I’ve heard on YouTube where doctors say it can take up to 18 months to see full recovery so I’m praying that it might be the case 

IMG_4120.jpeg

IMG_4117.jpeg

I'm gonna be honest dude. Yes, it looks failed. 5500 grafts were definitely not enough to fill this area but this looks like the work of closer to 1500-2000 grafts.

Edited by Fox243

8 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

I'm gonna be honest dude. Yes, it looks failed. 5500 grafts were definitely not enough to fill this area but this looks like the work of closer to 1500-2000 grafts.

I don’t know 

I’m having faith 

Though appreciate your honesty 

Posted (edited)

Sorry but this is very poor hair transplant, 5500 grafts is quite lot and I expect better coverage.

At 9 months your Hair Transplant is at the final stage, you can expect some hair maturity at 12 months.

In majority cases 12 months give you final result of your operation

I don't know why you not sharing the name of the clinic?

Edited by Rawkerboi

I havent taken a look at your before/after post op. But either they transected your hairs either during extraction and never got a full follicle out or they transected a hair when implanting. Hopefully it was neither but reading the comments about 5.5k is alarming.

I think even if it was failed you should consider consulting other physicians/surgeons on their opinion on next steps. What would you ultimately want from anything going forward? Remember, no transplant is truly one and done so do not lose hope in any possibly future development. 

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

This is not great for 9 months and it would appear you had a poor survival rate but also judging from your previous post op pictures, the work didn't look good from the outset. You can expect only marginal improvement in density from here to 12 months as the hair matures. You have great hair characteristics so even though your donor has dipped, I would consult a great surgeon to see about another procedure. With a mix of scalp and beard grafts you could get the desired look in the right surgeons hands. Are you still on meds?

7 hours ago, Rawkerboi said:

Sorry but this is very poor hair transplant, 5500 grafts is quite lot and I expect better coverage.

At 9 months your Hair Transplant is at the final stage, you can expect some hair maturity at 12 months.

In majority cases 12 months give you final result of your operation

I don't know why you not sharing the name of the clinic?

Im in contact with the clinic and there is this 1 year period where they provide assistance without any fees over their own online forum 

I will be revealing the clinic name after that period is over 

I understand it does not look good but also most of the online articles and YouTube videos says it can take upto 18 months 

I know it’s not very substantial evidence but I’m keeping faith that hopefully—hopefully by 15-18 months mark I will get improvements 

thank you 

6 hours ago, Vann said:

I havent taken a look at your before/after post op. But either they transected your hairs either during extraction and never got a full follicle out or they transected a hair when implanting. Hopefully it was neither but reading the comments about 5.5k is alarming.

I think even if it was failed you should consider consulting other physicians/surgeons on their opinion on next steps. What would you ultimately want from anything going forward? Remember, no transplant is truly one and done so do not lose hope in any possibly future development. 

Thank you for saying the last line 

hope for possible future development 

will keep updating here how it fares 

4 hours ago, Myles23 said:

This is not great for 9 months and it would appear you had a poor survival rate but also judging from your previous post op pictures, the work didn't look good from the outset. You can expect only marginal improvement in density from here to 12 months as the hair matures. You have great hair characteristics so even though your donor has dipped, I would consult a great surgeon to see about another procedure. With a mix of scalp and beard grafts you could get the desired look in the right surgeons hands. Are you still on meds?

Yes I’m on meds

1mg finasteride daily 

5% minoxidil 

I’ve stopped biotin for a while 

Is Biotin necessary as this point 

17 minutes ago, duchaine said:

a 5500 HT requires something like 2-3 days/8 hours daily.
Hope they cheated on you and used less grafts.

I do not understand why would you say that—that you hoped they cheated on me 

Seems like it’s not better to post results here as people aren’t friendly and supportive here 

To most it seems it like fun to enjoy to watch other demise 

so I do not feel posting my results here anymore 

12 minutes ago, Alex Grey said:

Seems like it’s not better to post results here as people aren’t friendly and supportive here 

I supposed you were smart enough to understand that if they really used 5500 FU, your donor is almost depleted and there is nothing you can do.
If they used less (as I hope), you have still FU in your donor that you can use for a future HT.

40 minutes ago, duchaine said:

a 5500 HT requires something like 2-3 days/8 hours daily.
Hope they cheated on you and used less grafts.

I would not say it takes 2-3 days. We see doctors like pittella putting out 12-13k grafts in 2 days.

Just now, Fox243 said:

I would not say it takes 2-3 days. We see doctors like pittella putting out 12-13k grafts in 2 days.

Typically, a good doctor doesn't transplant more than 2000/2500 FU daily (some very good doctor, even less).

• Administrators

Can you post a before picture?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 10:15 AM, Alex Grey said:

If the doctor truly used 5,500 grafts, then that is 5,500 you will not have available for a future hair transplant to fix your problem.  If the doctor "cheated" you by only using, say 2,000 grafts, that means there exists 5500-2000 = 3,500 more grafts to work with. So that would be better.

You fail to grasp your situation.  Donor grafts are finite, you can't produce more. So the more that you have available the better your chances with a competent hair surgeon to get repair surgery. Understand now?

I'm assuming you're one of the many people who went to a Turkish hair mill and got botched and not doing proper research beforehand.

Edited by AB2000
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Alex Grey said:

You are taking his words wrong, he has anyways clarified it.

Nobody in this forum enjoy other demise, in fact we help as much we can

• Like 1