NEED OPINIONS FAST - Surgery upcoming - PLS reply

I NEED OPINIONS please... I posted this a few days ago with not many replies. I am needing more assurance. I have uploaded better pictures.

About me...

I am in my mid late 20s. I have been diffuse thinning since my early 20s.

1st FUT 2022

In 2022 I was around a Norwood 5/6, my hairline+temples were gone and had really little density in the midscalp area.

I had a FUT transplant in 2022, 2500 to the hairline, temples and slightly back then hairline which covered the frontal third. I would say that transplant was successful since I had no hair on frontal third, however I had one side of my hairline corner not grow well (you will see in picture).

Scheduled FUT 2024

I wanted to get a 2nd FUT to add density to the hairline and add density to my diffuse thinning in the midscalp. I found a reputable surgeon in the USA near where I live who agreed that I can get an estimated 2000 grafts for my second procedure.

PLAN

1000 grafts to beef up the hairline and fix the corner and the other thousand grafts going behind the hairline to midscalp area.

I was scheduled farther out with this surgeon but they had sooner availability recently which was is rare for them based on reading posts from other patients on these sites.

I have attached some pictures of my hairloss and wanted to know opinions here of whether 2000 grafts (or close to it) would give me good density that I would be happy with. This is a lot of money for me and I want to be sure I would have a good outcome.

I am having a hard time understanding what to expect. My surgeon says I would have very good density in my midscalp since I have lots of existing hair.

Meds..
Also I wanted to add I have been on 0.5 DUT and 2.5/5mg minoxdill oral for 2 years. I used to do topicals but due to risk with pets I take oral. My current hair has thickened and improved with medication especially my crown but the meds are not helping the midscalp diffuse thinning.

Goal

I am wanting a youthful appearance and wear my hair somewhat long as in the pictures. I guess my ask here is will I have good density and most likely be happy with my result if I get close to 2000 grafts, I would also like to know opinions about how many grafts all of you think I need.

Also I did want to mention I understand the risk of shock loss, I am wanting to proceed and plan to keep taking medication.

Thank you I appreciate it.

20240429_160204.jpg

20240429_160307.jpg

20240429_160417.jpg

20240429_160337.jpg

20240429_160339.jpg

20240429_160225.jpg

20240429_160517.jpg

20240429_160538.jpg

20240429_160443.jpg

20240429_160453.jpg

20240429_160222.jpg

20240429_160236.jpg

20240429_160609.jpg

20240429_160219.jpg

20240429_160639.jpg

20240429_160603.jpg

20240429_160310(0).jpg

• Valued Contributor

It's hard to say if it will be enough and if you'll be happy. The only thing we can say is that you'll be 2,000 grafts better off than you are now if everything grows in, and that will yield a positive improvement from where you are.

Personally you'd be taking a load off your shoulders by not hoping that this 2,000 graft surgery is the be all and end all, but rather to view it as one more step on the ladder. You may need or want another pass down the line, but this one should get you the frontal third and first portion of the midscalp looking good, leaving a lsightly thinner crown that will resemble a natural "back to front" balding pattern.

Who is the surgeon?

Posted (edited)

Just as I thought, you no doubt have very aggressive hairloss.

I genuinely think 2000grafts won’t do much for you if they are spread out as said. 

You need careful planning with your doctor as I previously said, but I think it would be better if you let the community know who is your intended doc? 

It’s a very tricky case but in the right hands it could make you feel a lot better about your hair and make an improvement. 

you could also add your pre 1st surgery situation photos to determine what is transplanted hair.

Edited by Tommy1991

• Administrators

Can you share photos pre-HT? You have a Norwood 6 pattern despite being on dutasteride. You need a clinic that has a large portfolio of Norwood 6 cases. You’re in the US? Hattingen is coming to the US in July. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators
On 5/1/2024 at 2:07 PM, HairFunk said:

You might be looking more in the range of 3000 - 3500 grafts to get acceptable density. Your donor looks good. 

Sure he could use more than 2000, but that isn't the question. The Dr claims he can get about 2000 grafts from his donor. He already used 2500 previously. So the question is where/how is the best way to use those 2000 grafts. I will stick with what I said in a previous thread that I would put 1000 into a wide frontal band and use the other 1000 in the midscalp. If he is limited on donor I don't think it's a good idea to fill in only the front with the entire 2000 grafts. He would end up with a thick front with almost nothing behind it.

I would suggest getting another Drs opinion on how many grafts can be taken from your current donor though as it is possible that another Dr could better utilize the donor area.

image.png

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.