Taking the Plunge... Finally - Circa 1500 Grafts with Dr. Juan Couto @ Fuexpert

1 minute ago, 4Godot said:

Yeah this is very encouraging for me, as I was kindof vacillating slightly on Couto for treatment for a few months there (after years of thinking he was the holy grail of HTs).

You've inspired me to push ahead as we're in similar positions.

One thing i forgot to ask you, did he mention anything about implanting amongst existing hairs? To add density? I've seen him do it in some cases but not others

Why were you vacillating? 

Yeah he does that, but I would assume you have to be on meds first so you dont lose the existing as much as possible, He did it for me, but minimally and they were miniaturizing hairs already, but were quite bullish they may survive with the meds and the PRP. One thing I will say is that Couto is very cognizant of future loss, because if it was down to me I would have been greedy and had like 3k grafts and implanted throughout my existing to make my hair super thick. He out right refused and was correct, his philosophy could be stated as, you can always add more, when you have supply, but you cannot add more if unpredictable hairloss becomes aggressive and you no longer have the supply and now have to make less than ideal decisions.  

Can you please try to upload a bit more high quality picture? Maybe stand directly against a light, and don’t use flash.

In addition, could you please show a photo of you before? To see the bald area

2 minutes ago, Kacan said:

Can you please try to upload a bit more high quality picture? Maybe stand directly against a light, and don’t use flash.

HI Kacan, 

sure thing I can do that, Will post tomorrow... as for the before picture let me see what I can do 

2 minutes ago, Diff-thinner said:

HI Kacan, 

sure thing I can do that, Will post tomorrow... as for the before picture let me see what I can do 

Thanks.

btw, what is your regime? Which meds?

Currently doing topical finasteride 0.3ML, oral minoxidil 2.5 MG, I dermastamp on sundays, but have stopped for the moment, and then will be doing the high yield PRP for the next four months, not for regrowth but to keep the recipient fertile. 

6 hours ago, Diff-thinner said:

Currently doing topical finasteride 0.3ML, oral minoxidil 2.5 MG, I dermastamp on sundays, but have stopped for the moment, and then will be doing the high yield PRP for the next four months, not for regrowth but to keep the recipient fertile. 

Do you plan to fly to Madrid for the PRP? Are you Spanish? 

On 3/30/2024 at 8:23 PM, Kacan said:

Best pre-op pics I could find until the clinic sends theirs 

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.1f9178053a2ea8fdc0d0a21817ae5766.jpeg

I am 13 days post op, Tomorrow will be day 14, I am just wondering if this shedding is normal and if anyone could advise, This occurs when I apply the rosehip oil and the aloe vera, I am assuming shedding of native and implanted hairs is normal at this stage? Would appreciate the advice :)

Update - Day 15, Dr Couto asks you to provide update photos at day 15 to check on everything, The shed is real and experiencing it every day but he says he's very happy so far. Fingers crossed, looking like Im going to be an extra ugly duckling this summer :)
33.thumb.jpg.0515a89e496c1b6c35f3da182cc6631b.jpg32.thumb.jpg.f7fd3553f450bff95b4a325bc85746c5.jpg31.thumb.jpg.c7a241b57a206cbe2e48ee07de1f725d.jpg30.thumb.jpg.840819aeaeeb06963a86b3663a9e890a.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, 4Godot said:

looks good brother! do you have a strategy in mind? Hats? Shaved down?

Religiously wearing a cap currently, dont leave the house without it tbh, im waiting to see how bad it gets because I have some really important public events coming up, so im hoping there is enough wispy hairs that I can use fiber's 😂, any ideas ? 

oh gotcha, I thought you couldn't wear a cap for a month or so after procedure? Not so?

I have a friend buzzed his right down for like 3/4 months then had enough hair to grow it out and kinda comb over the red/growing areas in hairline after that. I guess it depends on implantation method or whatever but it just looked like a regular shaved head, no big red patches or anything.

Plus he REALLY appreciated having hair once it grew in! Not for everyone I know but it is a way of avoiding caps-in-stange-scenarios situation!  

The only experience I've had with fibers is seeing them run when people were sweating at the gym! But some people swear by them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4Godot said:

oh gotcha, I thought you couldn't wear a cap for a month or so after procedure? Not so?

I have a friend buzzed his right down for like 3/4 months then had enough hair to grow it out and kinda comb over the red/growing areas in hairline after that. I guess it depends on implantation method or whatever but it just looked like a regular shaved head, no big red patches or anything.

Plus he REALLY appreciated having hair once it grew in! Not for everyone I know but it is a way of avoiding caps-in-stange-scenarios situation!  

The only experience I've had with fibers is seeing them run when people were sweating at the gym! But some people swear by them.

Ive been wearing a cap since the second day, but only minimally and with special precautions and a special type of hat (snapback), to keep my head away from the sun and everything, just gotta make sure its a large one so it doesnt touch your head, 

Currently im not sure about shaving it, ill only consider if it gets to a point where it all looks silly but im hoping i can comb over the thicker hair behind over the HT at some point when it grows out 

Amazing what can be done with such a low amount of grafts! This probably would have been 4000 grafts in a hair mill! 

looking like a top result 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing design. And with just 1500 grafts. Dr Couto is a magician delivering awesome results with fewer expected grafts.
Thanks for sharing your experience.Keep those updates coming 😉

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

*1 Month Update*

So I wanted to wait a little while before updating you on the 1 month progress until I had a trim. After having a skinfade, I am really quite impressed with the harvesting. I have attached photos for the haircut. Until now I'm quite happy with the progress. I spoke with my mum, who basically knows nothing about hair transplants and tried to explain the grafting to her, to get her to see if she could notice the missing grafts from the donor zone, and she was having a tough time identifying it. But I'm uploading for the more aware purveyor to give feedback and see the progress and give thoughts. I would really appreciate any thoughts on the one month progress. Most of the transplanted hair has fallen out, but as expected it's the shock loss ugly duckling phase. 

My only thing that I would ask, is the transplanted area supposed to look like that now, looks a little bumpy, and just wondering if this goes away and when? 

HT1.thumb.jpeg.3d4ce38c43f63537fb4a1c7bc3d745e0.jpegHT16.thumb.jpeg.730cd5b8f2cd8746b1622b9efb023b7c.jpegHT14.thumb.jpeg.0d1110acf7d39498436aaf63eb836f7a.jpegHT15.thumb.jpeg.1bef92525b22dd86018e95da0e381336.jpegHT13.thumb.jpeg.134b2928b391eb93daa5e97df66401ba.jpegHT12.thumb.jpeg.4b0a1e7efc19b2b9336d317f7278cab4.jpegHT11.thumb.jpeg.d48cddc443c2a974c0e7107a9764b14f.jpegHT10.thumb.jpeg.ff80ccf47fa33cf4403edf7aae96019f.jpegHT9.thumb.jpeg.99bf2520ba1dba3218ac89f802565c05.jpegHT8.thumb.jpeg.860a2fab1573d3e0adfee65acd7b1df0.jpegHT7.thumb.jpeg.9a75c4e3bdd46ed723224ea50bac9761.jpegHT6.thumb.jpeg.9e60728c880d607f4d4afe95e55b120d.jpegHT5.thumb.jpeg.3fff4ebaa0dc9ff56e235be5f206951d.jpegHT4.thumb.jpeg.261e41ea3fdf6186d0f5a70c66cc7dec.jpegHT3.thumb.jpeg.8d747dcd81b9e389d3da9be9ed57355e.jpegHT2.thumb.jpeg.2d4e8d6fbcba9a8fbec0cf7e1d133110.jpeg

HT1 Small Large.jpeg

HT16 Small Large.jpeg

HT14 Small Large.jpeg

HT15 Small Large.jpeg

HT13 Small Large.jpeg

HT12 Small Large.jpeg

HT11 Small Large.jpeg

HT10 Small Large.jpeg

HT9 Small Large.jpeg

HT8 Small Large.jpeg

HT7 Small Large.jpeg

HT6 Small Large.jpeg

HT5 Small Large.jpeg

HT4 Small Large.jpeg

HT3 Small Large.jpeg

HT2 Small Large.jpeg

Edited by Diff-thinner
Photo size
  • Like 1

Looks excellent to man! Especially donor area. How noticeable is the redness of recipient area in normal/average light? Do you still have to cover it up in any way? I'd say you're lucky have enough hair too that you can get away with still have an sharp looking cut while it grows in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4Godot said:

Looks excellent to man! Especially donor area. How noticeable is the redness of recipient area in normal/average light? Do you still have to cover it up in any way? I'd say you're lucky have enough hair too that you can get away with still have an sharp looking cut while it grows in

To be quite honest the redness is quite minimal in normal light to the point today one of my coworkers pulled my hat off and didnt notice. I mainly wear a hat to cover it up currently but not really bothered if people know, it’s more just not having to explain to everyone I meet that I had one. 

I was very surprised with the cut, all day I wanted to get home to see what the donor looked like, I’m not sure what your thoughts are on how visible it is but I asked for the same cut I get every time and from my eyes it looks hardly noticeable and maybe even with some smp would be undetectable. 

I also got my graft count today luckily enough 

Total Follicular Units (UFs): 
UF1: 150
UF2: 636
UF3: 601
UF4: 87
Total implanted hairs: 3573
Ratio: 2.4

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I need to get something similar done. I contacted them this week and they told me they’re pretty much closed for appointments until 2025 just to even book an appointment. Don’t mind waiting just want to make sure a date is set.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Amazing documentation, your donor looks impeccable 🙌

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.