Hasson, 3k grafts, 11 months, so disappointed

Last April I had a 3k FUE transplant with Dr Hasson of Hasson and Wong in Vancouver. The experience itself was mostly fine, although the last few hours were a little chaotic: it ran very late, and the two techs that had been working on inserting the grafts were noticeably fatigued; two other techs who had finished a different transplant began tapping in for them for ~20 minutes at a time, so there was a rotating crew of techs working during the home stretch and I did have concerns then about consistency. However I was 14 hours into the procedure and also very tired, and frankly just wanted the whole thing done. 

11 months later and I am really disappointed with how it has turned out. I selected Hasson because of his reputation for building dense hairlines in a single procedure, and I really didn’t want to plan to have a second transplant. The result I’ve gotten, however, is both unnatural looking with several multi grafts in the hairline, and not dense. I frequently see better results coming out of hair mills, and I paid $22k to a top surgeon. I have to wear my hair very short and pushed forward, and use hair fibers to conceal the lack of density. If I try to grow it out and push it back, the lack of density combined with the unnatural graft placement looks botched. 

I’ve contacted the clinic and have been told to reach out again at 13 months. There hasn’t been any change in the last 2 or 3 months so my hopes are not high that it will improve at all, but I guess you never know. I’m not sure how the clinic will address the result if it looks the same at 13 months, and frankly I’m not thrilled at the idea of returning for a second procedure, but I also don’t want to spend even more money to have this repaired. 

Anyway, just wanted to share this with the community. I had really high hopes for the result, and am feeling really bummed about how all of this has turned out. I am on finasteride, for anyone curious

Pre Op:

IMG_4669.thumb.jpeg.c5192b58fd570e19a086b4c3bca7681d.jpeg

Immediately Post Op:

IMG_4682.thumb.jpeg.5af63f9e539e9f1997d876997917f276.jpeg

11 Months:

IMG_7116.thumb.jpeg.4f44a57093e6c910b210dea44e104ec5.jpeg

IMG_7160.thumb.jpeg.3422b5e8b18c81e4244404a284956558.jpeg

IMG_7159.thumb.jpeg.791364476377cfd11dc5b88d2be52b4b.jpeg

Edited by jbd123
Format
  • Sad 10

• Administrators

Im very sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, subpar growth can occur with the best clinics. H&W have demonstrated high ethics and take care of their patients. I’ve sent you a dm. Please provide me with the information and I’ll ask H&W for their response.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Tagging @H & W Doug

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, BaldGuy said:

Unfortunatelly Its a bad result from dr hasson with low survival of grafts...How much did you pay for that surgery?

Probably the $22k he mentioned in his post. 

OP your head still looks fairly red in the 10 months shots. Is that just the camera, or can you see it in person too?

Sadly I suspect it will need a second pass, but I'd want to make sure there's nothing else going on with your scalp before going through surgery again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

OP your head still looks fairly red in the 10 months shots. Is that just the camera, or can you see it in person too?

Just the camera/light angle. 

1 minute ago, Hairwolf said:

@jbd123 sorry to see this. Further to what you mentioned, how involved was Dr Hasson in the whole procedure? 

He drew the hairline, made the incisions, and did the checkup the following day. As others have mentioned he was not present during graft placement or on site at the end of the procedure. 

Just now, jbd123 said:

He drew the hairline, made the incisions, and did the checkup the following day. As others have mentioned he was not present during graft placement or on site at the end of the procedure. 

Yes that’s concerning- for that kinda money you would expect more for sure. Multis in the hairline for a clinic of such  high regard is unacceptable.Anyway worth reaching out to them for a repair if you can guarantee more involvement. Keep us posted.

1 hour ago, jbd123 said:

Genuinely ridiculous that the doctor feels entitled to take $20k+ for a single day's work, but not stay for the entirety of the procedure.

Disappointing result, no doubt.

• Like 3

I'm sorry for this, man. I would be very disappointed as well.
I hope you can have this fixed and get at least part of your money back. 

Posted (edited)

I’m sorry for this mate. This does look like a bad result. You paid $22k for that result and it’s totally unacceptable. The doctor did only the incisions and he did not even supervise the techs during the implantation and extraction stages. That’s totally unacceptable and you should ask a big amount of your money back. 

Edited by Jackdaniels

So sorry to hear about this result. Especially when you obviously researched and paid top dollar expecting a good result. Nobody expects perfect but that is very disappointing. I really hope they fix it for you at there expense with no questions asked. It's the least you deserve. 

Posted (edited)

@jbd123 maybe you should ask Dr. Hasson for a free touch up. There are multiple other threads on here from h&w where people have gotten free second rounds. 

You will have to directly ask the clinic though as I doubt they will offer you one unprompted.

I also understand you must be really frustrated and disappointed with the work. 

But if the options are spending an additional 20k elsewhere vs putting aside your feelings and working out a remedy with Hasson, the latter may be most effective

That being said, I do think your concerns about the techs may be valid. 

Hasson is one of the few "elite doctors" who seems to dictate all work to the techs. whereas the modern trend for other elite doctors is for them to have a hands on role, and the surgeon may be just as hands on if not more so than the tech

I don't think this is a make or break item in you having a repeat surgery, but you can certainly bring it up

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

Sorry for results.  I would never go to a clinic place where all the work is dictated to techs.    Hopefully you get minor improvement at the 12 month mark and get a free touch up and/or reimbursement.  For 20k, they should give something back if you don't see amazing results.

11 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

@jbd123 maybe you should ask Dr. Hasson for a free touch up. There are multiple other threads on here from h&w where people have gotten free second rounds. 

You will have to directly ask the clinic though as I doubt they will offer you one unprompted.

I also understand you must be really frustrated and disappointed with the work. 

But if the options are spending an additional 20k elsewhere vs putting aside your feelings and working out a remedy with Hasson, the latter may be most effective

That being said, I do think your concerns about the techs may be valid. 

Hasson is one of the few "elite doctors" who seems to dictate all work to the techs. whereas the modern trend for other elite doctors is for them to have a hands on role, and the surgeon may be just as hands on if not more so than the tech

I don't think this is a make or break item in you having a repeat surgery, but you can certainly bring it up

Wait, is that accurate? What is exactly done by Hasson and what by techs?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, baddecisions said:

Wait, is that accurate? What is exactly done by Hasson and what by techs?

I can 100% confirm there have been multiple unsatisfied h&w patients  on here who have gotten free touch ups after voicing their complaints on here

I cannot speak with any certainty on what is done by Hasson vs the techs as I have not been a patient. But feel free to read some reviews and Hasson appears to be pretty hands off - especially for a doctor with "elite" status

h&w appears to have a very large tech team, whereas many of the other elite docs have smaller teams. Having a larger tech team indicates the doctor is more hands off, and vice versa

Lastly there is one patient review on the forum from either 1-2 years ago, where Hasson left the clinic early while the patient was still in surgery, and the patient was unable to have a post-surgery debrief with Hasson. The techs were the ones who wrapped up the surgery and sent the patient on his way. 

If I am paying tens and tens of thousands of dollars for surgery, at minimum I would expect the surgeon to be present at the clinic for the entirety of it. And for bedside manner, manners in general, custom, I would expect the doctor to be able to spend (at minimum) a small amount of time with a patient after surgery to give concluding details on the surgery, answer any patient questions, and in general just to properly say goodbye and see the patient off after surgery. 

In NO WAY at all is the above meant to criticize Hasson's surgical skills. I have no comment on that. The above is just meant to say that Hasson may be suprisingly hands off given his prestigious reputation

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 6:23 AM, jbd123 said:

As others have mentioned he was not present during graft placement or on site at the end of the procedure. 

I am really curious what Dr. Hasson is so busy with that he cannot even be present at his clinic for the duration of surgery. He has demonstrated this poor behavior in previous cases as well

IMO it goes beyond bad manners and poor etiquette. 

for example, what if there was a true emergency with your procedure that only Hasson can take charge of? As good as his techs may or may not be, there are simply some situations that require the surgeon/medical doctor to respond to. The techs cannot independently respond to any critical, fast moving situations that may arise.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I am really curious what Dr. Hasson is so busy with that he cannot even be present at his clinic for the duration of surgery. He has demonstrated this poor behavior in previous cases as well

IMO it goes beyond bad manners and poor etiquette. 

for example, what if there was a true emergency with your procedure that only Hasson can take charge of? As good as his techs may or may not be, there are simply some situations that require the surgeon/medical doctor to respond to. The techs cannot independently respond to any critical, fast moving situations that may arise.

Come on man, this is not a heart transplant, lol..