How Soon After a Transplant Can You Get Another Transplant?

• Valued Contributor

If it’s a two staged approach and the second surgery is in another area like the crown you could have surgery after six months. Personally though 12 months is much better because the donor area will have been given longer to heal and bounce back. Also it’s better to give the first surgery 12 months so you know exactly what you need to work with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wprevil said:

How soon after a transplant can you get another transplant? Is it possible to get a 2nd transplant  4 months after your 1st transplant?

If you want to have a procedure in the non transplanted area, you should wait at least 8-10 months so that donor can recover. And if you want to have a procedure for the density in the transplanted area, you should wait atleast 12 months to access your overall result.

On 3/18/2024 at 1:28 PM, Ajamilo said:

Why do you want to get it 4 month after the first transplant? And did you first do it in the hairline and wand to work with the crown now or?

Cuz I feels that I needed a bit more in the front temples area.

23 hours ago, Shadman said:

if you want to have a procedure for the density in the transplanted area, you should wait at least 12 months to access your overall result.

Ok I gotcha. I want more density in the area already transplanted. But damn, 12 months is a long time! Hope the doc can make an exception at 10 months

20 hours ago, Westview said:

I would wait 15 months. 

New hair can still sprout up around the 12 month and can take a few more months to mature

Nahhh.. what others have said about waiting 10 -12 months sounds more sound.

2 hours ago, wprevil said:

Cuz I feels that I needed a bit more in the front temples area.

Then wait at least 12-15 month so you know what you are working with. And also you are giving the donor Area time to come back from the trauma and that stuff.

good luck tho and update your journey here if you can do that :)

8 hours ago, wprevil said:

Come on dude stop trolling

Advising a patient to have a hair transplant every 10 months would be trolling. Do you have any idea how traumatizing a hair transplant is to your scalp? The scalp needs time to heal.

Every 2 years is ideal for full recovery. 

16 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

Advising a patient to have a hair transplant every 10 months would be trolling. Do you have any idea how traumatizing a hair transplant is to your scalp? The scalp needs time to heal.

Every 2 years is ideal for full recovery. 

I understand but 2 - 3 years is just too much wait time. From what I've been observing here, 90% of patients dont wait that long for a 2nd round of transplants.

22 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

Then wait at least 12-15 month so you know what you are working with. And also you are giving the donor Area time to come back from the trauma and that stuff.

good luck tho and update your journey here if you can do that :)

Yeah my doc told me to wait a year. But I requested to see him earlier and he said he can assess me sooner as long as everything leading up to that point looks good enough.

It'll  depend on a couple of things.  If you're working an entire separate area than what was worked on originally, you could do it as soon as 4 mo post op.  Same area? 7-12 months.  

Are you talking FUT or FUE?  This will also have a bearing on the answer.  FUT scars take 6-12 months to mature.  You want to make sure this heals before doing a 2nd procedure.  Typically the first scar will be re-excised so that there's only one scar left.  

With FUE, a lot will depend on how the work was done originally.  What sort of scarring was left on the donor?  If a big punch was used, there would be circular scars to deal with.

Most frequently the doctor wants to see the results of the first procedure before moving forward.  The can then work in and around what was transplanted the first go round.  

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.