2380 Grafts - Dr Manish (Mani) Mittal

Hello everyone 

It has been 18 days since I underwent a hair transplant procedure with Dr. Manish Mittal (Mani) in London. After contemplating a hair transplant for several years and stabilising my hair loss with medication, I finally decided to take action to address my receding hairline. Dr. Mani came highly recommended across various independent forums, including here and the IAHRS, and being based in London, it was convenient for me to choose him.

My journey with Dr. Mani began with an initial conversation with his coordinator, Russ, back in September 2023, followed by an in-person consultation with Dr. Mani himself in October of the same year. Russ was not only knowledgeable but also a fellow Liverpool fan, which instantly built rapport between us. During the in person consultation, Dr. Mani provided a realistic assessment of what could be achieved and suggested a conservative approach, utilising 2000 grafts to restore my hairline. He emphasised the importance of managing my donor area, considering my age (29) and the potential need for future procedures, despite being on finasteride. I appreciated his friendly demeanor and expertise, and there was absolutely no pressure to make a commitment. After some deliberation, I finally reached out in January 2024 and scheduled the procedure for March 26. It's worth noting that Dr. Mani honoured his quotation from 2023 despite the lapse in time, which was a thoughtful gesture given the slight increase in prices in 2024.

On the day of the procedure, I arrived at 8:30 am feeling incredibly nervous, but Dr. Mani and his team were remarkable in putting me at ease. Dr. Mani meticulously drew the hairline we had previously agreed upon, and I requested some additional single grafts slightly lower to create the illusion of a lower hairline, while ensuring grafts were reserved, as discussed by Dr. Mani in his podcast with Melvin, which he accommodated.

The procedure itself turned out to be relatively calming, and I even found myself drifting off to sleep a couple of times, although I must admit the local anaesthetic injections were somewhat painful but manageable. Dr. Mani handled the extractions and incisions at the front, and personally implanted the first 400 or so grafts, while his two technicians took over the rest. Ultimately, I ended up with approximately 2380 grafts implanted, with Dr. Mani honoring the original quotation. Though I don't have the exact breakdown of singles, doubles, and triples, I was delighted to learn that over 1300 of the grafts were triples.

After the procedure, Dr. Mani ran through the post-operative steps, and then I got a taxi home. The first few days post-op were relatively tough, especially meeting the sleeping requirements. The pain wasn't too bad, and by day 5, it had subsided to the extent it wasn't noticeable, although my recipient area remained itchy. I am now at day 18, and all the scabs have gone, and most of the implanted hairs have shed. Overall, I am super happy with the hairline design and hopeful for some growth over the next few months.

The photos are ordered from Day 1, Day 9 (part scabs), Day 10, Day 12, and Day 14.

20240229_164137884_iOS.jpg

20240301_173154331_iOS.jpg

20240317_222144392_iOS.jpg

20240309_101738829_iOS.jpg

20240312_104257551_iOS.jpg

20240313_165942651_iOS.jpg

20240313_165956919_iOS.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Hairrevival101 said:

Hello everyone 

It has been 18 days since I underwent a hair transplant procedure with Dr. Manish Mittal (Mani) in London. After contemplating a hair transplant for several years and stabilising my hair loss with medication, I finally decided to take action to address my receding hairline. Dr. Mani came highly recommended across various independent forums, including here and the IAHRS, and being based in London, it was convenient for me to choose him.

My journey with Dr. Mani began with an initial conversation with his coordinator, Russ, back in September 2023, followed by an in-person consultation with Dr. Mani himself in October of the same year. Russ was not only knowledgeable but also a fellow Liverpool fan, which instantly built rapport between us. During the in person consultation, Dr. Mani provided a realistic assessment of what could be achieved and suggested a conservative approach, utilising 2000 grafts to restore my hairline. He emphasised the importance of managing my donor area, considering my age (29) and the potential need for future procedures, despite being on finasteride. I appreciated his friendly demeanor and expertise, and there was absolutely no pressure to make a commitment. After some deliberation, I finally reached out in January 2024 and scheduled the procedure for March 26. It's worth noting that Dr. Mani honoured his quotation from 2023 despite the lapse in time, which was a thoughtful gesture given the slight increase in prices in 2024.

On the day of the procedure, I arrived at 8:30 am feeling incredibly nervous, but Dr. Mani and his team were remarkable in putting me at ease. Dr. Mani meticulously drew the hairline we had previously agreed upon, and I requested some additional single grafts slightly lower to create the illusion of a lower hairline, while ensuring grafts were reserved, as discussed by Dr. Mani in his podcast with Melvin, which he accommodated.

The procedure itself turned out to be relatively calming, and I even found myself drifting off to sleep a couple of times, although I must admit the local anaesthetic injections were somewhat painful but manageable. Dr. Mani handled the extractions and incisions at the front, and personally implanted the first 400 or so grafts, while his two technicians took over the rest. Ultimately, I ended up with approximately 2380 grafts implanted, with Dr. Mani honoring the original quotation. Though I don't have the exact breakdown of singles, doubles, and triples, I was delighted to learn that over 1300 of the grafts were triples.

After the procedure, Dr. Mani ran through the post-operative steps, and then I got a taxi home. The first few days post-op were relatively tough, especially meeting the sleeping requirements. The pain wasn't too bad, and by day 5, it had subsided to the extent it wasn't noticeable, although my recipient area remained itchy. I am now at day 18, and all the scabs have gone, and most of the implanted hairs have shed. Overall, I am super happy with the hairline design and hopeful for some growth over the next few months.

The photos are ordered from Day 1, Day 9 (part scabs), Day 10, Day 12, and Day 14.

Looks good, do you've any pre-op photos ?

• Moderators

Hello @Hairrevival101

Welcome to the forums. Thank you for taking the time to write and post your pictures. Everything seems good so far. Can I ask you a few questions? You have a small bald spot in the crown. Are you hoping finasteride improves that area? How long have you be on finasteride? Thanks.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

14 hours ago, Hairrevival101 said:

Hello everyone 

one of the very few good doctors in the UK, good choice 👏🏻👏🏻 

happy growing 

Thank you for sharing this. There's not enough real life examples of UK surgeons on this forum, I really appreciate you taking the time do enrich the forum with your experience. 

The work looks good, I love the conservative hairline and those soft singles front and centre *chef's kiss*. 

Please continue to keep us in the loop with your progress, good luck and happy growing. 

P.s. As others have eluded to, I hope you're on some form of medication to slow down the erosion of your native hair 🙏

Thank you very much. I used finasteride for about 18 months without significant improvement, so I decided to introduce oral minoxidil, which resulted in noticeable regrowth. Consequently, I discontinued finasteride, assuming that minoxidil was primarily responsible for the progress. However, after about a year, I noticed thinning in the crown area again. Since September 2023, I've been using both medications. I plan to revaluate the crown's condition in a year, considering a minor procedure if the medications prove ineffective. Fortunately, my curly hair helps conceal the impact of the thin spot on the crown

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Dr. Mani does great work, excited to follow your progress 🙌

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, Big Rome said:

one of the very few good doctors in the UK, good choice 👏🏻👏🏻 

happy growing 

To be fair, the UK probably now has just as many very good options as any other country in the world. You've got Dr Ball, Dr Mani, Dr Reddy, Dr Miln & Dr Farjo. That's five pretty solid options, and two or three of those are doing work as good as anyone's anywhere really (with a few very notable exceptions). I'm struggling to think of any countries other than the US and Belgium that have that many genuinely decent options.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

To be fair, the UK probably now has just as many very good options as any other country in the world. You've got Dr Ball, Dr Mani, Dr Reddy, Dr Miln & Dr Farjo. That's five pretty solid options, and two or three of those are doing work as good as anyone's anywhere really (with a few very notable exceptions). I'm struggling to think of any countries other than the US and Belgium that have that many genuinely decent options.

Can you show me cases that you were blown away by with any of them? 

A few of them youv named seem not  to use a lot of grafts (conservative) and still look like your balding after it

Edited by thetdog666

• Valued Contributor
8 minutes ago, thetdog666 said:

Can you show me cases that you were blown away by with any of them? 

A few of them youv named seem not  to use a lot of grafts (conservative) and still look like your balding after it

I'm not sure I understand the criteria "blown away by". None of them are Dr Pittella, if that's what you're getting at. But they all produce very natural looking results, with nice refinement of hairlines and good graft survival.

The OP's hairline design looks absolutely spot on, and will likely have a stellar result that will still look good and appropriate in later life for just 2380 grafts used.