Quitting finasteride?

Dear,

I have been using oral finasteride (1mg) for 6 months now, Unfortunately I still have no stabilization to date. The hairs are still falling out a lot, I do notice that a lot of small hairs are falling out now.

Can I now draw the conclusion that this medication has no use for me and that I can better stop? Or should I keep going till the one year mark?

I am really getting discouraged....

Posted (edited)

Take it to the one year mark then reassess. I suggest after that if you still feeling you are loosing ground add DUT 2 times a week and oral minoxidil 5 mg 7 times a week 

Edited by Ajamilo
  • Like 2

• Administrators

If you’re still losing hair with finasteride, getting off it will only make it worse.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
15 hours ago, vortex898 said:

Dear,

I have been using oral finasteride (1mg) for 6 months now, Unfortunately I still have no stabilization to date. The hairs are still falling out a lot, I do notice that a lot of small hairs are falling out now.

Can I now draw the conclusion that this medication has no use for me and that I can better stop? Or should I keep going till the one year mark?

I am really getting discouraged....

Give finasteride at least 12 months before making a judgement call.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

The full potential of medication (finasteride and minoxidil) for hair loss typically becomes apparent after 12 to 18 months of consistent use. If you're not experiencing any side effects, it's advisable to continue using it for a longer period before reassessing.

Additionally, consulting with a reputable hair transplant surgeon is recommended to create a personalized medication regimen rather than making adjustments like cutting down, stopping, increasing the dosage, or changing medication on your own.

• Like 2

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023