Oral minoxidil causes weight gain?

Hi all,

Ive been on oral minoxidil for almost 3 months now and I feel like I’ve gained alittle weight since starting it, also i feel it’s much more difficult to lose weight. 

I’ve done some research but couldn’t find a definitive answer if weight gain indeed is a side effect of minoxidil or not. 

Does anyone share the same experience or have any input? 

thanks 

On 3/4/2024 at 4:33 PM, Eli_Avdikian said:

I don't think oral minoxidil causes weight gain. I personnally have been on it for a year and I didn't notice any weight gain. 

Or have you experienced any bloating? Easier to gain weight, harder to lose weight?

3 hours ago, Westview said:

Yup, it causes bloating.

Thats why I had to stop it

😢😢

when you were on it, did you feel it was easier to gain and harder to lose weight?

since going off, you're back to normal? have you felt a big difference?

14 hours ago, aykay7 said:

😢😢

when you were on it, did you feel it was easier to gain and harder to lose weight?

since going off, you're back to normal? have you felt a big difference?

Within just a few days after stopping oral MX my weight went back to normal.

I noticed it especially in my face. Thats where my bloating was the worst

On 3/4/2024 at 4:33 PM, Eli_Avdikian said:

I don't think oral minoxidil causes weight gain. I personnally have been on it for a year and I didn't notice any weight gain. 

Everyone reacts to this drug differently.

Some people gain weight, others dont

• Well Done 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:47 PM, aykay7 said:

Or have you experienced any bloating? Easier to gain weight, harder to lose weight?

No not really. I even lost some weight in the beginning (part of my diet plan at the time), and it has been steady ever since

• Valued Contributor

I've been on oral minoxidil 5mg per day for well over a year now. To date I haven't noticed any side effects. Other people however may and will experience side effects. I guess coming off the drug without changing anything else (dieting, exercise changes, etc) should show you if the minoxidil is causing the weight gain. Wishing you all the best!

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:48 AM, Westview said:

Within just a few days after stopping oral MX my weight went back to normal.

I noticed it especially in my face. Thats where my bloating was the worst

alright thank you for your answer. I'm trying to figure out if my weight gain and difficulty to lose weight is due to the minoxidil or my recent lack of exercise. I've cut carbs down to the bare minimum, so need to figure it out. but thanks for your input!

On 3/6/2024 at 9:00 AM, hairman22 said:

i have lost weight on OM.

it can certaintly cause weight gain though due to water retention

thanks, I wish it caused my to lose weight too 😂

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Eli_Avdikian said:

No not really. I even lost some weight in the beginning (part of my diet plan at the time), and it has been steady ever since

alright thank you for your input and sharing your experience so far :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I've been on oral minoxidil 5mg per day for well over a year now. To date I haven't noticed any side effects. Other people however may and will experience side effects. I guess coming off the drug without changing anything else (dieting, exercise changes, etc) should show you if the minoxidil is causing the weight gain. Wishing you all the best!

Thank you very much for your input Gatsby. Yes you're right, I might go off it for just a couple of weeks or so to see if that is the cause, or if it's something else. I am yet to see any change in my hair (I'm almost 3 months in and I understand it's still early), have you noticed any change?

11 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

Minoxidil aids in some water/fluid retention, which could be making you feel heavier 

Should I drink less water/fluids so less is retained? Lol 

No i don't think anyone would recommend you drink less water, of course its important to hydrate, but spend slightly more time sweating at the gym, so doing a little more cardio throughout the week. 

7 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

No i don't think anyone would recommend you drink less water, of course its important to hydrate, but spend slightly more time sweating at the gym, so doing a little more cardio throughout the week. 

Yea I was only being half serious haha. My pills run in soon. I might take a couple of weeks off them to see how my weight goes and then decide if I'll go back on them or not.

I'm now considering stopping the pills and taking topical Romaine 5% instead. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it okay to just make a switch like that? Any experiences to share? Thanks in advance

On 3/9/2024 at 1:08 PM, aykay7 said:

I'm now considering stopping the pills and taking topical Romaine 5% instead. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it okay to just make a switch like that? Any experiences to share? Thanks in advance

You can get 5% Kirkland MX for dirt cheap on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1311&_nkw=kirkland+minoxidil&_sacat=0

• Thanks 1